Thread: Big lake area lakes ice thickness

Default Big lake area lakes ice thickness

Just curious if anyone has any information on the ice on the lakes near big lake. Lynn lake, the beaver lakes etc. Any info on the ice thickness would be apprecuiated. I wouldn't mind going this weekend if the lakes are fishable. This itch is getting worse! Thanks!

Default First outing of the season

Thanks for the website!

Hit a big lake area lake this afternoon with the wife for the first time this year. Seeing a car on the lake made my wife a little more at ease with walking out on the lake. Only another group on the lake but they didn't stick around too long. Hit the lake at 11:00am and had the first fish on in twenty minutes. Aero jigs were the ticket today. I had one good hit on shrimp but it got off. Caught a total of four today and lost three more. The largest fish went 25" with one that went 20" and the other two were about 17 to 18". It was a great first outing of the season, and great that I had my wife with me.
    DSCF0124.jpgDSCF0125original.jpg

Sweet! nice fish! Love that area!

Beautiful looking fish!!!

Nice fish AKnook! Beautiful colors!

Nice fish. Keep in mind Biglake is a single hook artificial Lure only lake from November 1st. (at least I think that's the case). In any event be careful and check regs for each lake before you go, it'll save on headaches later!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Nice fish. Keep in mind Biglake is a single hook artificial Lure only lake from November 1st. (at least I think that's the case). In any event be careful and check regs for each lake before you go, it'll save on headaches later!

Thanks alaskanassasin. This fish did not come out of big lake, but a lake in the big lake area. I have only fished Biglake (the actual lake) one time and knew the regs. I take shrimp where legal but can't catch a fish on it to safe my life.....the aero jigs on the other hand I can't keep 'em off!

This is what I have read.........

From November 1st thru April 30 only single hook artificial lures are allowed on Big Lake with the exception of when an angler is fishing only for pike. The regs on tackle are on page 34 and then on Page 35 is where they talk about 5 pike lines, 3/4 inch gap or larger, single whole herring/hooligan, off the bottom, 8am to 5pm, November 1st thru March 15, etc.

Cool! Not trying to be a deputy dog "trust me on that". Just don't want to see anyone get a ticket for simply not knowing. I'm with you on the bait anyway, I always do better with lures also generally speaking. Tight lines!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

very nice bow aknook thats one thing i love about almost any lake in the big lake area is that they all have fish and will suprise you how big,how many, and the colors. keep it up i know of a few realy great spots on big lake as well if maybe you would like to see what it has to offer just need the ice to get a lil thicker to get to a few of them in a truck

I drove out to big lake this afternoon. The areas around the ice road are pretty thick (18 inches or so) I ventured a little farther past the ice road and found ice as thin as 6 inches. No fish... I think I might have gotten out a little late (no lines in the water until after 1300). Anyway, it made me wish my vexilar would hurry up and get here.

we were all over big lake sunday only fished one hole the thickest ice we seen was 14 inches at north shore the rest was 13 or less and as little as 2 inches or even open in the usual spots we caught 5 very nice fish two bows 3 char and buddy had a way big char that poped off at the hole wich woulda make 6 and they all came after 1 pm ak marine the fish are there at any time you just gotta find them try around the islander or burnt point just give burnt point some time before you drive there it isnt ok at all to drive to as well as do not drive off the roads yet the ice is very weird out there and this year has been very bad i dout burnt point will get more then 2.5 feet of ice this year and its usualy 4 feet or more. bottom line be very careful on big lake the north side roads are realy the only safe place to drive