Thread: Spring Black Bear

Default Spring Black Bear

Hi guys, me and a few friends are starting to plan a spring black bear hunt. All three of us are going to take our bows and our rifles just in case we can't get it done with a bow. I'm from southeast and have recently moved up to anchorage. Hunted all my life in southeast, lots of bear hunts. On prince of wales, where I'm from, it's easy to find a blackie in late April. Since work starts may 1st for two of us, we will need to go towards the last weeks of April. Our plan is to go out of Valdez by boat and do a 5-7 day hunt. Can anyone help me out with when the black bears will be out of denning during the spring? Will there be bears out walking around during April?

Any information will help, we're just wanting to do this hunt, but I need to figure out if we're gonna wasting our time in April looking for bears or if there's a good chance we will be even be seeing anything moving yet?

Thanks guys

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

In my experience, it's still very much winter time in PWS in April...at least around where we hunt anyways. I don't know anyone that has taken a bear before the second week of May. Perhaps it can be done, and if so, I'll be thoroughly impressed!!

yep, seems way early to me too.
    Outer coast and Homer side of k-bay some are up by early mid-may, generally the other side of the bay is a couple weeks later.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I was think the same thing to go and try for Black Bear in May within unit 13. Any one know how the population is up there?

Default Spring Black Bear

Thanks guys, I figured it was. Maybe well make it a fall hunt. Fishing/work gets in the way too soon. ****.

Anyway how is the population over near Valdez during the fall, like late September?

Default Prince William Sound Spring Black Bear

Hi Dano11
    Yep late April is most likely too early for the sound - I haul out a lot of Spring Bear hunters every season but not usually before May 10th. It really starts getting good around May 20th onwards.
    Best wishes on your hunt!
    Matt

Me and some buddies went out late april this year, I shot mine on the 29th of April. Not alot of bears, they are just coming out it was alot of work, straight up and down. So it may be doable but you will work for every part of it. Also we went out of seward and found it some what close to Seward. we seen 5 bears total on the three day hunt.

Be careful if you are beaching your boat out of seward....the rollers may not look like much, but they can get you into trouble in a hurry. Best to use a dinghy to go to shore. Leave one person on the boat or anchor it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    In my experience, it's still very much winter time in PWS in April...at least around where we hunt anyways. I don't know anyone that has taken a bear before the second week of May. Perhaps it can be done, and if so, I'll be thoroughly impressed!!
    I have witnessed bears being shot in Mid April. Low snow year I imagine, but we were way out, Latouche and Elrington areas. That was in 2000, and 2001.

OP, why go out of Valdez? Get a charter out the islands in the area I talked about above, would be my first guess of where bears will be moving early. Even Bainbridge showed a few.