Thread: A Squirrely Day!

Default A Squirrely Day!

Grabbed my neighbors grandson at 6:30 this morning and we ran about 40 sets, coon, fox, coyote, beaver, and mink before he had to be at school at 7:45. I was moving fast and we sure got skunked today! One 35lb beaver and 2 'possums! Managed to let both p'sum go and they wobbled off. So, I dropped my partner at school and ran a second line of 8 fox/coyote sets only to find one pull out - drats! I decided to pull some 220's and move them to another farm making "bucket"sets. I needed one more trap and buzzed up to a conibear set only to find a red squirrel still alive in the 220! Little guy must have run into it when he heard me coming. I thought OK I think I can get him out but was not sure what he would do when released as he was Pizzed!!!! Got one spring set and shook his rear out, then really had a fit getting the second spring open as he had his chompers going full bore right by my bare hand! About 3rd or 4th attempt ( I almost had him out ea time but panicked dropping the trap), I got enough pressure off to get his neck out but it clamped on his head when I dropped the trap fearing an attack! This time he looked like he was dead from that blow and I opened that puppy as fast as I could and shook him out. He lay on the groung for a minute not moving so I picked him up and did some light presses on his chest, decided to pass on the CPR mouth to nose routine! Believe it or not he started breathing, I placed him on the ground and within a cpl minutes he crawled into some grass and laid their looking at me...
    I drove off and not sure what he did after that but this was sure a first for me - and hopefully never again! Don't ask me why I did it as I am not sure myself!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Geez Smokey,....You are too crazy
    I was thinking, "Now, he gets bit on the nose,...but that conclusion,.... is just wild !

I've got a t-shirt for ya,...says "I Raise Dead People," on the chest

Seems you're gettin' pretty close to filling that out, in Real Time,...Cool Post
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Geez Smokey,....You are too crazy
    I was thinking, "Now, he gets bit on the nose,...but that conclusion,.... is just wild !

I've got a t-shirt for ya,...says "I Raise Dead People," on the chest

Seems you're gettin' pretty close to filling that out, in Real Time,...Cool Post
    Hey Kodiakrain! I have an 11 yr old MinPin that got hit when it was only a few months old, I called the wife and said I was going to bury it and hung up. I remembered watching some fire fighters resusitate a lab pup that had drowned by blowing into its nose so thought what the heck, dog started breathing after having been out for several minutes, was unable to walk and was blind for about 3 weeks but came out of it OK! We would drive 20 miles ea day to the vets and hold her and talk to her which seemed to help.

Can't say I am into saving squirrels as one just cost me $1200.00 to fix a plugged gas water heater vent, they had built a nest in a 6in pipe, couldn't dislodge it after 4 hours of trying so had to buy an electric tank! However, I think all of us hunters and trappers have a love for critters and I would like to think we don't have to kill everything if there is no reason to do so! Trust me, I was thinking some stitches may be coming before it was over!!! LOL
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....