Thread: AMF in the Alaska Journal of Commerce.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default AMF in the Alaska Journal of Commerce.

here is a good article on the Alaska moose federation, if anyone would like to keep up with whats going on... i know there are some haters around here... but i figure they can sit at home and hate, while others get something done...

http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-...ons-in-Alaska/

Last winter AMF cut 157 miles of diversionary trails near the Parks Highway in the lower Susitna valley. The cut trees and brush were then formed into 11 feeding stations. Early returns on the work indicate a 50 percent drop in moose collisions in the final two months of the winter, according to the AMF website.
    At the same time Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities also widened the visible right of way to 200 feet on a 12- mile stretch of the Parks Highway near Willow, giving drivers a wider field of view and pushing the browse line farther away from traffic.
    If everything works out, Olson said he hopes the federation can cut up to 400 miles of trails statewide this winter. While most work has been done around Alaska’s population centers, AMF is working all over the state to reduce moose collisions.
    “We’re working in Tok right now. This is a statewide deal. We’re pretty much going where the blizzards tell us to go,” Olson said. “If you have a really deep snow year, you’ll be doing more with cutting trees and snow machines. If you have a light snow winter, we’re doing more with dozers and heavier iron. There’s really no down time.”
    Doug Vincent-Lang, director of wildlife conservation for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game said AMF is issued permits before doing any work and that the federation has a working relationship with Fish and Game.

Read more: http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-...#ixzz2ChbupPUL

There will soon be other work headed to the interior also... and the AMF is always looking for Volunteers. if you would like more information PM me..

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

AMF transported a large roller-chopper up to Tok. Dragged by a large dozer it is in use experimentally on lands to reduce the thick moss layer by roller chopping and chopping the roots of willow and aspen to facilitate hardwood regeneration.

Aspen doesn't generally need chopping to regenerate but experimental use with this tool and documenting regeneration next summer and in the future will help biologists and foresters apply the appropriate techniques regenerate a less flammable forest for habitat and biomass.

The object is to regenerate hardwoods in and around Tok which has a severe defensible space problem.

Thanks to the Alaska Moose Federation, this tool is now available. Prior to AMF, it was unavailable to rent, use or anything.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Hey Vince,
    Just wanted to introduce myself, I am Henry, my wife Val and I are drivers for AMF here on the lower KP, homer is our home. Moose salvage is a family effort in our house, our two year old goes on each call with us and loves it. She is quite the little trooper. Safe driving out there!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361172503.774338.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	68356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361172569.261795.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	68357

i totally disagree with AMF being involved with road kill recovery on the lower KP. We have never had a problem with people responding to road kill for salvage, there has never been a related accident, and quite frankly there was never a "problem" we needed AMF to solve for us. I abhor the idea that the legislature has approved millions of dollars to AMF for programs that don't work and aren't needed.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i totally disagree with AMF being involved with road kill recovery on the lower KP. We have never had a problem with people responding to road kill for salvage, there has never been a related accident, and quite frankly there was never a "problem" we needed AMF to solve for us. I abhor the idea that the legislature has approved millions of dollars to AMF for programs that don't work and aren't needed.
    Thats a bummer Dave, because this program works fine elsewhere. Troopers are spared having to baby sit a road kill until someone comes out to claim it or get it off the road.

The AMF in Fairbanks and the Mat-Su get to the road killed moose pronto with a dedicated truck and a crew that picks up every moose and responds to all the calls. When they get there they winch the entire moose on the truck so there is no road side gut pile. This is probably better than a road side raven rest for weeks after. Bottom line is these AMF trucks and AMF volunteers actually save the State money by freeing up the troopers and their dispatchers to do more meaningful public safety work.

The meat is still distributed to those people that need it on the road kill list. You'd have to ask how to get on that list now. I am off it now but my son got a road kill about 2 months ago. AMF hauled the gut pile away about 2-weeks later which was good so that the neighborhood dogs stayed out of it and thawing didn't create a mess.

Now we can work with the AMF instead of the troopers who have better things to do. The AMF is also keeping better records of how many moose are killed, where and when. So I guess that the AMF's service to the people of the State of Alaska is a bit different than the way it has been portrayed. Just the way it is.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Troopers are spared having to baby sit a road kill until someone comes out to claim it or get it off the road.
    Bottom line is these AMF trucks and AMF volunteers actually save the State money by freeing up the troopers and their dispatchers to do more meaningful public safety work.
    I'm neutral on this issue. I'm not entirely familiar with the AMF or all the work they do, so I'll withhold my judgement of them until such a time as I can review all the data (which, frankly, I don't have the time to do right now.) Seems to me just by what I've heard about them here and there in scattered articles that they have both good and potentially bad aspects.

Having said that, the argument here is that the AMF is valuable because they prevent troopers from wasting time at roadkills.
    My question is this - in the however many years since the AMF has been in existence, has the amount of money saved by freeing up troopers amounted to the $2m spent on these programs?
    Would be interesting to see some data on cost/benefit.

IMO, the road kill salvage thing only came about as a way to get in good graces with the public in order to get more Gov money to accomplish the "grow more moose" goals.

If the state wants to pay someone to salvage road kills, they should bid out the contract just like any other state service and award it to the most responsive bidder.

It use to be that anyone could sign up for the road kill moose list and they would call you up if you were the next one on the list. I thought it worked fine. The AMF is not needed and just another waste of State money.