Thread: Caribou Lake (Homer area)

Default Caribou Lake (Homer area)

I maybe totally late to the game, or out of touch (actually I am out of touch, I live by Caribou Lake) . But recently I heard that is was classified as anadromous. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, why? That is utterly outrageous and rediculous if the classification is such. There hasn't been a salmon climbing into this lake since at least '64.

Any ideas?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I maybe totally late to the game, or out of touch (actually I am out of touch, I live by Caribou Lake) . But recently I heard that is was classified as anadromous. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, why? That is utterly outrageous and rediculous if the classification is such. There hasn't been a salmon climbing into this lake since at least '64.

Any ideas?
    Did you check with ADF&G? Yes, according to their data it is classified anadromous, with Dolly Varden present, and Sockeye spawning in the lake.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have not seen the adfg report, will do immediately as soon as I can find it, but as a 15 year connoisseur of this lake, I can assure you, there are no salmon spawning in it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I have not seen the adfg report, will do immediately as soon as I can find it, but as a 15 year connoisseur of this lake, I can assure you, there are no salmon spawning in it.
    You need not assure me. I think your disagreement is with someone else. I'm curious though why you seem distressed at the idea there might be salmon spawning in Caribou Lake?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm not distressed at the idea. I'm distressed at the ramifications, for example the dock I was planning
    To build. The idea that a salmon can jump 15 feet to get up a 3 foot wide creek amazes me, and I don't see how that ludacrisnoussnes is thinkable.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm betting you are correct; it may have hosted salmon previous to the 64 quake (as many lakes did in SC), and has held that designation. You should get on that to get it dropped before they throw all kinds of regs on you as they did my friend up in Nikiski.

You'll get the anadromous label anywhere you find (found) salmon, Dollies, whitefish, sheefish, steelhead, etc.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.