Thread: Fresh Water Lamprey Patterns and Timing

Default Fresh Water Lamprey Patterns and Timing

I thought it would be interesting to ask you all if in fact you try and actaully replicate and fish a version of the Fresh Water Lamprey which is found in most clear running streams/creeks and or Sloughs in most states. I have noticed many of them over the years in various locations some have more than others.

I keep finding a lot of people referring to them as fresh water eels which I am sure they are not however maybe someone can enlighten me on that as well.

That being said there are several patterns that I have found that I can only assume are losely associated to actaully matching the hacth so to say.

Two years ago it was reported to me there were several thousand locked into a Ice Jam around Bings and the Bows were having their way with them well and the Peeps fishing were having fun as well.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...s/lampreys.pdf

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/educati...reyrochure.pdf

http://www.arkive.org/river-lamprey/...a-fluviatilis/

Any one it is winter and a Subject rarely talked about on this forum or for a matter of fact on any forum. Consider this as much as a lot of us fish Sculpin patters and buggers it would not hurt to modify your Leech Patterns a colors to "Match the Hatch" they are a viable food source in some of our most productive watersheds.

Tight Lines and Please feel free to share any pattern idea you may have or use.

Regards

Richard M. Mouseau
    Blue Moose Rafting

I have found the juvenile lampreys (I believe they are called Ammocoetes) in some of the Southcentral streams like Willow Creek and Deshka River. The move around in an erratic motion through the water like a snake. I would imagine a large black dolly llama or a large black bunny leech pattern would imitate them well.

When I was catching pike on Alexander Creek in the summer, everyone was FULL of Lampreys. I mean, each pike i kept (all over 24'') had 5-6 eels in their stomachs. It was kind of crazy seeing them, I had no idea they even ran up there or Pike ate them.

It is nice to see some related information concerning our little friends with anglers across the states. Lama's are a direct reflection IMO. Depending on where they are along in their life cycle i.e. 3-5 inches - 4-7 inches I have been making a size 2 articulate bunny leech. Seems to work on the rivers I fish however I have also been tossing some Lama's that are on the verge of stupid in weight and size.

Keep it rolling guys great information sharing.

Lampreys have no relations too eels. They are in the superclass Agnatha. These are jawless fish which include hagfish and of course lampreys. They are one of the oldest known fish alive today, living dinosaurs!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Spot FishGod and thanks for sharing. I did Lamprey control projects back in the day in Michigan as part of my summer studies. Dang things coming into spawn are scary. Nothing like taking 55 Gallon drums of them out at a time. I go so tired of filling Jars of Lampreys that summer I thought I never wanted to see one again well that is until I started finding them in the bellys of trout!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swinging articulated leeches in June near the Moose River is a blast. The Moose R. is a major spawning area and rearing spot for lampreys in the Kenai. The outmigration of juveniles starts late May/early June and ends at the end of June or so. They tend to outmigrate when it gets "dark". I've got some grey articulated leeches just for this.

MOAL with eyes instead of cone. In brown/grey jailhouse zonker or natural brown.

Lamprey / smolt / 6" of love that works great in Bbay systems with populations of light grey/cream color phase lampreys

Man the only thing that is missing is gills. Nice Fly and as always thank you for sharing. The eye placement and size are spot on! :-)

I also use the dolly llama and a triple articulated olive bunny leach and darken up the belly with a sharpie. When that bite turns the steelies hit violently! I have found two over two and a half feet long on the Anchor over the years.

Was just going over some of my T-Day readings and decided to review Larry Tullis's Alaskan Rainbows and he actaully dedicated some specifics to the Lamprey. I must of missed it years ago but it did make for some interesting instight and reading. Being bored I got watching channel 15 GCI cable and they had a show on concerning Cali and the Klamath and low and behold the regional native tribe was discussing eels as being one of their traditional food sources and yep you guessed it a video of spawning Lampreys.

Any who great subject and thanks to all that have posted to date. Anyone other than G-Smolt care to share with our Fourm members a picture of their patterns?

Hope one and all had a fantastic T-Day.

RMM
    BMR

Does anyone know if there are lampreys in rivers year round?

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Does anyone know if there are lampreys in rivers year round?
    Juvenile lamprey are present year round in rivers. Although, they are buried in the sediment until they out-migrate in May/June.

I've seen 6"+ lamprey in the Salcha in June; a light brown color, swimming slowly upstream in medium current. A nice articulated leech ought to do it.