Thread: Can't decide A5 or Maxxus

Default Can't decide A5 or Maxxus

So I am in the market for an Autoloading Shotgun and am eyeing closley both the A5 and the Browning Maxxus. Does anyone hear have any experiance with both guns and some useful info? Yeah I know that Benelli and Beretta make great guns, for tht matter so do several manufacturers, I'm sorta stuck on the Brownings though.

Oh, intended use of gun would be mostly jump shooting ducks on small creeks etc, but it would also see time chasing geese, wabbits, and an occassional Spruce grouse and the like.
    Thanks for everything in advance, any advise would be appreciated.

Love my mAxus for a lot of reasons. Shoots flawlessly in all conditions. Plus it uses the same chokes as my beat up old citori. Would consider the A5 but like the option of shooting 3.5 if I want and hate that they changed the choke tube configuration so it doesn't work with any other Invector plus chokes.

i have heard the maxus are nice guns....... gotta throw a plug for benelli, i used to own a winchester super x 2, gas operated systems are somewhat dirty, benelli are inertia and they are much cleaner

I don't think A5's use gas either, pretty sure they are inertia as well. Well the old ones anyway, I haven't gotten to handle a new A5 yet.

I just ordered a Browning Gold 10 for sea ducks and greater canadian geese. Can't wait to get out and kill some birds with it...just gotta find some 10 gauge shells, and probably start getting equipment to reload for it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

duckslayer was right, the new a5 runs on a Kinematic drive, pretty much the same thing as benelli...... only chambered for 3" tho
    http://www.browning.com/library/info...ail.asp?id=372

I assume they have upgraded the A5 a lot over what the old ones were. I bought a new A5 in 1966 and really did not like the way it functioned, the recoil operation was very slow and you could really feel it working, my SBE is fast and smooth operation and I love it now that I have put some rounds though it and got it working smooth, didn't jam up once on me this season and really absorbes the kick of those bigger loads. Bud
    Wasilla

I dont think you can go wrong with either one... I'd shoot the maxxus... because I can't stand the look of the A5...

I like my benelli SBE as well, it's by far the best auto I have used. But my I had to choose between the two brownings, I would go with the maxxus.

It is true that the inertia based A5 should run cleaner but my guess is that it will kick harder. Didn't used to make any difference to me but as I've put a few more years on my shoulders I find that I like the recoil reduction inherent in the gas operated maxus.

Hey everyone, Thanks a ton for the input. I think all points made are wuite valid and certainly helpful. I have come to the realization that I and I alone need to make up my mind for myself, but I have ruled out the A5 for a few reasons that I won't waste your time on. (Choke tubes do get spendy)
    I did a lot of research on the Maxxus, and read many comparituve reviews Vs the Winchester SX3. The winchester won in all I could find and unbelievably it also takes Invector plus choke tubes. Now I have another dilema.
    maybe I'll just go get a Benelli.
    Thanks again

I served from 92-97 as a Combat Engineer, Semper-Fi!
    thanks for the info.

Talk to AK Marine about the SX3, he shoots one, and can give you some first hand info on it