Thread: 22-250 rounds

Default 22-250 rounds

Looking for some help on finding a readily available 22-250 round that will not damage fur on fox/lynx sized animals
    Thanks
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

If lynx are anything like Bobcats, you may be able to blow a fragile bullet up inside them. Bobcats have a tough, stretchy hide that doesn't seem to blow out like fox hide, I never had a 50gr Ballistic Tip exit one. Fox on the other hand I don't know about, I've never shot one, but friends who own a lodge on Kodiak swear anything larger than a 22 mag blows gaping holes in them. Strangely enough, with all the good luck on cats I had with the BTip, coyotes always had nasty holes in them, either entry, exit, or both.

Why not hunt fur bearers with two firearms with you........? A quality .22 LR for under 75 yards &..........???? for over.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Looking for some help on finding a readily available 22-250 round that will not damage fur on fox/lynx sized animals
    Thanks
    Not happening, sell the rifle for something more fur-freindly. 22 hornet or 22 mag. Those are the two I'd look for. 22 magnum inside of 200 yds, 22 hornet for a bit more. Reduced load 223 was what I used to use with surplus fmj's, but stopped going through the hassle.

22-250 is great for blowing up prairie dogs....not so great for fur- it's just too fast.

I'd use Hodgdon Trail Boss to slow it down to 22 Hornet levels or just a bit more.

In factory loads you might stick to "big game" type bullets at lower velocity but I still think fur damage will be significant. The few critters I've seen hit with varmint loads in the 22-250 were pretty tore up.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Try shooting cast bullets... I would

Oh you all ***** and moan about Barnes tsx bullets not opening up so why not use 55gr Barnes tsx in the 22-250

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Oh you all ***** and moan about Barnes tsx bullets not opening up so why not use 55gr Barnes tsx in the 22-250
    I use the 53 tsx. It leave a dime size hole coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I use the 53 tsx. It leave a dime size hole coming out.
    I was going to get some to try out in my 223. I love the tsx along with the accubonds.

I would suggest a standard 55 grn ball like is loaded in the 223 over a charge of 25 grs of H-4895.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I am NOT speaking for Mike, however i think Mike is not interested in reloading, I think he is looking for a factory round for the 22-250 "or" advise on what cartridges he should consider for this application.

Correct Dave, I'm not into reloading so I'm looking for a factory available round.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I am NOT speaking for Mike, however i think Mike is not interested in reloading, I think he is looking for a factory round for the 22-250 "or" advise on what cartridges he should consider for this application.
    SORRY ! I'm so accustomed to reloading everything, I just assume everyone else does too.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Well in that case 55gr Sierra blitzkrieg bullets should work great...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well in that case 55gr Sierra blitzkrieg bullets should work great...
    323, do you have personal experience with this round? Where are you getting your info. The "should work" concerns me a bit

I have a Take-Down Ruger 10/22 each piece is 18.5" I am thinking this with a 2-7X rimfire scope for the under 80 yards, and my .223 with 77 gr. bullets (slower) for over 80 yards. The take-down will fit into the pack with the caller equipment for transporting.

I have to agree with Mainer and Hodgeman. That gun is not suited to hunting fur. When I first started predator hunting I thought I needed the fastest shooting bullet with the best trajectory so I could pick off a wolf at 800 yards, so I bought a .243 WSSM which has very similar ballistics to the 22-250.

I went out hunting after I got the rifle and I found that I was literally ripping the animal in half. I shot one fox at 100 yards and the only thing connecting the two sides of the body were a few intestines. This happened to 4 different animals before I realized my mistake and sold the rifle. I was spending so much time and money to go out calling and then I was destroying my prize.

I just looked up the velocities of the factory rounds available for your rifle. The slowest factory round I could find was running at 4000 FPS. This is way too fast. My friends and I have a general rule to minimize pelt damage. Our rule is never shoot a round that is faster than 2900 FPS. Don't make the mistake that I did. Sell the 22-250 and buy a .243, .223, or one of the other recommendations of the other members here.

Also, The Kid said that bobcat hides are tough. I have never shot a bobcat but I have shot and skinned many lynx and I can tell you that generally they are just as thin or thinner than the skin of a fox. I am not doubting what he said, but I just thought I would point out that they must be different.

Good luck, ~907~

MJM,

I sold my 22-250 when I found out the damage it does on fur - which is what I bought it for.

I went with the 30 Remington AR. I haven’t had a chance to see how it does on critter skin yet, but research told me it was one of the best ‘new’ predator calibers out there.

Not to highjack the thread, but does anybody have any results or experience with the 30 Rem AR as a predator round?

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    323, do you have personal experience with this round? Where are you getting your info. The "should work" concerns me a bit
    Nope I was being sarcastic... But on a serious note I would go buy some factory loaded 22-250 with 52-55gr the Barnes tsx.

Howdy,
    I'm looking forward to trying out the Nosler 35g balistic tipped lead-free rounds this season. I'm down-loading my 22-250 over hodgdon
    CFE223 to see if the bullet will stay inside the critters and also keep the barrel clean. Just my 2c. E.