Thread: how many rounds does a savage 99/284 win hold?

Default how many rounds does a savage 99/284 win hold?

Because of the fatter case, does the mag capacity drop to 4?

I wouldn't think they would make a different shell counter for just one cartrige but don't know.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They do have a whole separate rotor setup that is unique to the caliber. If memory serves they hold 3 cartridges. Never seen one that shot worth a ****, but they are an interesting curio.

Have no idea what the kid is smoking I had one in a 99c it shot great with 160gr Speer hot-cor... But you are a gunsmith, so what do I know... Anyhow the 99c held three in clip. Those clips are worth some money... The std 99 in the 284 are worth some serious coin. The 99c don't demand as much 650-750 ball park.

was there any variation between the models in regards to mag capacity? Or did they all hold only three?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    was there any variation between the models in regards to mag capacity? Or did they all hold only three?
    Mainer I would shoot kk a pm he is the 99 guru around here and would know the answer. I do know they use different internals on the 284 so trying to convert a 308, 243 to a 284 will be hard or try to make the ones in the 308 work. The 99c in the 284 there is a thread on 24 hour where a guy gives instruction how to take 308,243 mags and convert them to 284.

I'm not picking one up, I was only curios remembering some forum member here posting pictures of his.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'm not picking one up, I was only curios remembering some forum member here posting pictures of his.
    Well thanks for wasting my time...

Mine's a C and holds 3, too. I was surprised to hear they "don't shoot," too. Mine does 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" with both the 125 and 150 grain factory loads (yellow box, of which I still have 20+), and several handloads hover around an inch or slightly less. The Speer 160 is a goodun alright, but my C likes the 154 and 139 Hornady's even better. Some groups with the 139 will drop down toward half an inch, but enough get up toward an inch too that I think a little more load tuning is needed.

Didn't say none of them shot, just none that I've seen. Know three different guys who've had them, all three were 2" guns. Good enough to hunt with sure, but not my idea of a naildriver. Good to hear some of them shoot. I always thought the 284 was a neat cartridge, gonna have to spin a boltgun together for it someday.