Thread: anyone winterize thier 4 strokes?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default anyone winterize thier 4 strokes?

i am considering putting on a heat pad and possible a small circulating heater, for over nite trips...it will add a small gen set to the gear in the sled..

just wondering if anyone has, and if the results have been favorable or not... will be doing the 2011 tundra 600ACE and a yamaha Phazer..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't know if I'd worry about anything more than a circulating heater or a block heater. A little genset like a small Honda is used by many folks. The generator can be brought into your heated tent or cabin to warm up enough to get it running. Then plug it into the snowmachine to preheat it. That said, my Bearcat has started at -25F with no issues at all. It started once at -35F, but it rode on a trailer from a place that it was -10F. Both those cold starts left a couple 2-strokes If it's going to be that cold I'm most likely not going riding anyway. I am currently looking at hooking up the smallest Optima battery to the machine to give it more cranking power.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my worry is doug... being there and having the bottom drop out.. even 2 stk are hard to start and might consider a block heater on them now also
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Preheating my VK Pro has little effect. The same was true with the Nytros I used to have. What Yamaha 4-strokes need in order to start is rotation speed. In a couple of cases where my sleds wouldn't cold start the key was to boost the itty bitty battery so it could spin the engine faster. Starting was easy with that. If you're worried about cold starting the best money you can spend is in adding a better battery.

WHAT A PITA!!!!!!!!!!

went to the doo dealer today looking at the heater MADE for the 600 ACE. lets start with OVER $300.00 for the part. and several hours to install a heater that bolts onto side of block. i think i can put a small tank heater in for 40 bucks and circulate through the entire machine if i have to..

yamawho, has a set up.. with in line convection heater, and oil-reservoir heat pad, and battery tender that will take under an hour.

but if its only battery issues like stated.. then why odnt i just carry a jump pack that will work on both selds?

meet on face book here

If you insist on an engine heater you'd be better off going to one of the local bearing stores and buying a stick-on silicone heat pad. 50w should be way more than a small sled engine needs. You'll find them in a few different sizes and shapes so get an idea of where you want to stick one before you buy one. Cheap and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If you insist on an engine heater you'd be better off going to one of the local bearing stores and buying a stick-on silicone heat pad. 50w should be way more than a small sled engine needs. You'll find them in a few different sizes and shapes so get an idea of where you want to stick one before you buy one. Cheap and effective.
    i have one for the yamaha... the skidoo requires full dismantle for one.

i am thinking the booster pack in the box, to try it for now... if none the else.. a tarp and a buddy heater go a long way on the trail, i have not had to much problem down to -25..

maybe a cheap tent with the bottom cut out.. just seems like a lot of work.. LOL

meet on face book here