Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashers/Fish finders on a budget

Default Flashers/Fish finders on a budget

Looking to get the most for the money in a fish finder. I've been lucky enough to fish a hole in the ice next to a mid-level Vexilar and what a difference it makes so it has got me wanting. What I'm not able/ ready to do is spend $400. So I'm putting it to you, is there a useful/reliable fish finder for a tight budget? What are your experiences? (ex. Markum's hand held digital ). I'd like to be able target lakers and get a sense of bottom structure.

Thanks,
    Matt

PM sent your way.

I'm feeling the same. Can't afford $400+ unit at the moment but def want a tool to easily see depth and mark fish down to 100 feet. Been keeping my eye on eBay and Craigslist.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Default Great Deal

I have a showdown that I had purchased two years ago for $349.00 and I am willing to let it go for $150.00. I still have the box and instructions. The unit was only used about five times. A buddy of mine had a Vexilar FL-12 and I liked it so much I bought that one too. I have no use for two. I live in North Pole. Let me know if you are interested.

What is the model # and downward angle? I really want a vex. It's why I have experience with; fishing with my dad and bro inlaw they both have em. Why did you 'upgrade' to a vex; or why is a vex better than a markum?

It is a Showdown 5.6 20 degree downward angle. I prefer the round dial and the colors on the Vex it provides a better ability to track the jigs better on the screen. Vexilar sells refurbished units on there web site. I am not making a very good argument for my Showdown but I thougt I would give it a try.

That's a good deal on your showdown. I'm going to save my $$$ and get a vex. May have to check out the refurbs on their website. Thanks for that info!

just to throw it out there, I bought a Lowrance Ice machine a couple of years ago.. it was a bit cheaper than a Vex and it works pretty well. But since you asked about budget, it's a great place to start.

The Humminbird flashers are less than Marcums or Vexilars as well.
    If you seriously want to fish lakers you really want a dual beam transducer.
    Marcums and Humminbirds have 'em standard on most units while it's an option on a Vex.
    The reason for the dual beam is when fishing steep drop offs a narrow beam shows more of what is beneath you while a wider 20* beam will pick up more of the slope causing a shadow (transducers mark bottom as the depth of the edge of the cone. The wider the cone the higher up the drop off the bottom will seem). This is called the shadow effect.

This weekend I was fishing my fav. early season laker lake. The first spot I hit is a steep dropping island/reef 40' out from the reef bottom measures 20 something feet with a 20* transducer setting and 40' on the 8* transducer setting. Even on the narrow setting the actual bottom is about 50' or 55'.

You will not be able to see what is going on in the shadow area as it is actually deeper than the returned bottom signal.
    The wider the cone angle the worse this problem becomes.

Here's a little diagram I quickly put together to help explain the issue.

Definetly want a dual or tri beam. I read somewhere the hummingbirds run off a single crystal and work by changing frequency while the vexilars that have the tri beam actually have 3 individual crystals. Anyone know what I'm talking about and care to chime in further? Drifter do you run a hummingbird or vex?

I spent all day before work reading about those silly things.. I think I decided on a vexilar FL-20 pro-pack with a tri-beam. They are a little over $500, So I guess instead of buying a new power auger and ice tent I will just get one of those and continue sitting on a bucket and using my hand auger.

They work, and are a valuable tool for the ice angler. My experience is with an FL-8 that had a 12 degree cone for targeting walleye in about 20' of water in the western U.P. of MI (portage lake). I could pull the trigger on an FL-12 with tri-beam any second now....

Save your $$$, mind tricks work the best....I can train you

Geez... crystal count...? WTH you guys sound like harry potter or a hobbit...LOL
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post

Geez... crystal count...? WTH you guys sound like harry potter or a hobbit...LOL
    I guess I've been reading too much on iceshanty.com or something. Apparently vexilars have a separate crystal or thing for each cone angle making them stronger ,or something, than a single crystal or thing that hummingbird uses. It'd be like 3 lightsabors vs 1 lightsabor (now am I speaking your language ?).

BTW, hobbits are effing cool! Way better than a storm trooper or luke skydancer...

i heard if u verbley abuse fish they would bite. Got tired so i got a marcum. Flasher help u to kno when to abuse them and to save ur breath.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    BTW, hobbits are effing cool! Way better than a storm trooper
    Adding hobbits to the hunting list now, just above jawas and below tusken raider. LMAO
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Drifter do you run a hummingbird or vex?
    Neither.
    I run a Marcum LX-5.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post

Brrrr! A hobbit?

Funny! RFLMAO "Save your $$$, mind tricks work the best....I can train you."
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Any one have and use a MarCum ShowDown 5.6 DualBeam digital fish finder? They look pretty cool. I've seen them at Sportsman's Warehouse. How do you like it? etc.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I have a showdown that I had purchased two years ago for $349.00 and I am willing to let it go for $150.00
    Alcan Ron has one for sale. Read the first few posts on this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast