Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther P22 -vs- Ruger SR22

Default Walther P22 -vs- Ruger SR22

I have the Walther P22. Very nice, but kinda plasticy. Seems finicky about ammo too. What opinions of the new Ruger SR22 as compared to the P22 are out there? They seem to be stablemates, almost identical twins. Anybody have both?

I donít think Iíd want both, Iíd be fumbling with the controls all the time.

Fire is up, safe is down on SR22, and it declocks.
    P22 is the opposite and doesnít declock.

Magazine catch on P22 is a funny lever under the trigger guard.
    Magazine catch on SR22 is a normal button.

Ruger put far more robust sites on SR22 and your not just stuck with them like P22.
    There are a lot more gadgets out for P22, they may be coming for SR22 but may not too.

Beyond that they are too similar to distinguish IMO. Take your pick.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good comparison, AD:

I'm assuming they are BOTH DA/SA like the PPK.

I read recently, that the SR22 will not fire with the magazine out, and it's inserted well.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Ruger put far more robust sites on SR22 and your not just stuck with them like P22.
    I have an adjustable rear sight and 4 replaceable front sights came standard with my P22. The SR22 looks to have (almost) identical sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Good comparison, AD:

I'm assuming they are BOTH DA/SA like the PPK.

I read recently, that the SR22 will not fire with the magazine out, and it's inserted well.

Smitty of the North
    Yup both DA/SA and both will not fire without the magazine in case there is one in the chamber. On the P22 you must insert the magazine after unloading in order to manually decalk it (I donít much like that), same with SR22 but Iím unsure if the decalking on the safety will work with the magazine out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    I have an adjustable rear sight and 4 replaceable front sights came standard with my P22. The SR22 looks to have (almost) identical sights.
    P22 has a windage adjustable rear that the screw passes through a threaded boss on the slide. The mettle of this little boss doesnít hold threads very well so they are common to stripping out and the site it comes with is the only site in the world that fits it. Elevation is adjusted with the changeable snap in front sites that come with it . . . they just snap in and can snap out and become lost.

SR22 has both sites dovetailed into the slide, far more robust. The front can be windage adjusted by drifting it in the dovetail like many other guns. The rear site is both windage and elevation screw adjustable and the blade is reversible for dots or flat black. Much better sites on the Ruger than the Walther.

Donít get me wrong, I like the P22 enough to own 2 of them myself. I think P22/SR22 are very equal guns, one is better in some ways and the other better in other ways. Ruger did a far better job on the sites but I donĎt want one because I have P22s and the .controls on SR22 are backwards for me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a P22 that blew the top of the slide off and the extractor with Remington ammo. Remington says the gun failed and Smith says the ammo failed. Neither will fix the gun. IF, for no other reason I would get the Ruger because it might get fixed if there is a problem. Meanwhile, I show the P22 to everyone who thinks they want one. Actually, I'd go for the Ruger LCR in .22LR...light, easy to carry and shoots pretty good from what I hear.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Walthers slide is zinc (pot metal known to break)
    Rugers slide is machined aluminum (much stronger)
    Walthers grip is plastic
    Rugers grip is kinda rubbery

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a P22 that blew the top of the slide off and the extractor with Remington ammo. Remington says the gun failed and Smith says the ammo failed. Neither will fix the gun. IF, for no other reason I would get the Ruger because it might get fixed if there is a problem. Meanwhile, I show the P22 to everyone who thinks they want one. Actually, I'd go for the Ruger LCR in .22LR...light, easy to carry and shoots pretty good from what I hear.
    And the SR22 has a lot of picky feeding and FTF issues. Both have their issues but are very similar little critters. I'd go MKI/II/III or 22/45 over ether of them but difference between P22/SR22 was the question.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    Walthers slide is zinc (pot metal known to break)
    Rugers slide is machined aluminum (much stronger)
    Walthers grip is plastic
    Rugers grip is kinda rubbery
    Yup zinc is why the site boss doesnít hold its threads very well and why P22 slides weir out and they are un-fixable. The Aluminum makes the Ruger slide more robust but the added mass of the SR22 slide is also a lot of what makes it more ammo picky too. Its too new to know how long the SR22 slide will last before getting warn by running on the rails or what the symptoms of that will be.

P22 has the grip molded right into the poly like a Glock with changeable back straps to adjust size. SR22 has a poly grip post that a rubber grip slips over and I think comes with different size slip on rubber grips.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I donít think Iíd want both, Iíd be fumbling with the controls all the time.

Fire is up, safe is down on SR22, and it declocks.
    P22 is the opposite and doesnít declock.

Magazine catch on P22 is a funny lever under the trigger guard.
    Magazine catch on SR22 is a normal button.

There are a lot more gadgets out for P22, they may be coming for SR22 but may not too.

Beyond that they are too similar to distinguish IMO. Take your pick.

Strange, on my P22, up is fire and down is safe. Did they change at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
    Strange, on my P22, up is fire and down is safe. Did they change at some point?
    You is correct Mike, I see I typed it opposite somehow. But the thing I was meaning is P22 works opposite SR22.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have both. I like the Ruger SR22 better. It feels better in the hand, feels heavier and sturdier. And all around shoots better. Although both seem to have their problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The side-by-side picture really helps! Thanks. I like my P-22. But as with all good things, I may have to acquire an SR-22 also....

I bought a P-22 a few years ago when they first came out.. It was on order for a couple months...... After testing it with all sorts of ammo and in a few different conditions...... I sold it within 90 days. It was ammo picky.. in other words, if there was ammo it had a problem. The safety started to go into the safe position at random, plus the magazine disconnect gizmo made the trigger pull pure cra*...
    I replaced it with a S&W 617 (3 inch) which has not failed yet...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    I have both.
    And now I do too. Ran into one at a price I couldn't pass up. I'll give it a workout at the range this 3-day weekend.

Just fed my SR-22 a steady diet of mixed Winchester 325-white box, Remington Golden Bullet, Remington Viper, and CCI Velocitor (sp?). I think I had two failures in almost 400-rounds. One was a dud, and one was feeding error because my boy didn't seat the magazine all the way home. I like this SR-22.

In the Ruger SR22, there have been problems with their takedown lever breaking. People have been putting a rubber gasket along the guide rod spring to cushion the slide as the slide slams back after every shot. Even though its only a .22lr, its takedown lever has broken with a lot of people. If you look into the Ruger Forums, there is some info on it. I ended up putting a rubber gasket in my Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22 and when I manually rack the slide, I can feel the rubber gasket as it cushions. I added the rubber gaskets just as a precaution just in case. I mean, it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    People have been putting a rubber gasket along the guide rod spring to cushion the slide as the slide slams back after every shot.
    Do you mean a rubber o-ring that would fit around the guide rod? The guide rod fits into a small recessed hole in the mid-frame of the SR-22, so where would you place the o-ring such that it would be between the mid-frame and the inside of the front frame in recoil? Got a picture please?

Looking at where the chin of the slide actually contacts back at the mid-frame, I don't think anything around the recoil guide rod would do anything. Can you post up some pics please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast