Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911's under $1000

Default 1911's under $1000

I am looking to get a 1911 carry gun and I would like to spend no more then $1000. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality 1911 that is in my price range? Looking on my own that Ruger's, Remington's and the Filipino American Classice 1911's are all in that price range. Has anyone shot or owned any of them? If so what did you think?

Ruger hands down. My brother has the Ruger, I've shot it a lot, and now I'm pissed at the $2000 and 1 year I spent on my custom Caspian. Very accurate, great trigger, digests 3 kinds of hollowpoints, truncated cone, wad cutters, you name it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ive had springfield gi and high standard, they both seemed to shoot accuratly and feed great... both were under 500$
    Semper Fi!

I have a plain Jane Springfield arms 1911. I looked up the price today and it seems $700 is the going price. Plus a holster, a few clips and a cleaning kit, it is within your budget. I love it. It has never faltered and I absolute confidence in it. I have seven clips loade with 230 grain Remington hollow points. I don't think anyone wants to be on the bad end of it. It shoots great too!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have a couple of Springfield 1911's and love them. If you stick to your $1000.00 budget, you
    can get the Springfield in the Loaded model. That comes with a whole lot of improvements over
    the standard versions.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

How about a Kimber?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Springfield, Kimber, Ruger, Colt, Sig Sauer, S&W, Magnum Research Desert Eagle, Remington not necessarily in that order. They would all have models well within your price range depending on whether you want a basic milspec or more enhanced model with features to enhance ease of carry. There are also many good foreign made milspec 1911's out there that a guy could get into for 500 and less. If you can find the reight deal on one, Sig is making some very good 1911's for the $$$ at right around your limit that would have everything a guy could want if you don't mind the external extractor.

Do some research on 1911's to fine tune your search before you purchase. About all there is to learn about 1911's is on the 1911 Forum including sections on all major brands. You need to decide a few things before you buy.
    1. Government size=full sized frame and slide. known for best reliablility, larger and harder to carry/conceal comfortably, but many have carried them since they were first made.

2. Commander size=full size grip frame, shorter slide/barrel at 4 1/4". Easier to conceal/carry, slight loss in shootability accuracy in general due to shorter sight radius. Many of the newer models actually have a 4' bull barrel, not true commander sized.

anything shorter than cammander size will be hit or miss on reliablility. Some will run 100%, some will be very ammo sensitive on reliability, faster wear out of recoil springs.

3. Do you want light weigh aluminum frame or carbon steel, stainless steel frame.

4. Traditional internal extractor or external. Sig and S&W use external while most others use tradition design internal. Really does not effect reliability IMHO, but traditionalist will want internal.

5. Firing pin safety or not? Some do not care either way. Others prefer none. Most makers are using them. A few that do not in your price range are Ruger, S&W E Series, Desert Eagle.

Go to the 1911 forum and read up. Tons of info on there to help you make an informed purchase of your first 1911.

Thanks for the info. I will probably go with the Government size because I have talked to a lot of people that carry them and have not to many problems to conceal them. I haven't thought about the extractor or the safety. I was planing on doing a lot of research before I purchase a 1911. I like to make sure I make the purchase that works best for me. I prefer to only buy guns I will keep for a very long time.

I have looked at them. I know a lot of people that carry them and I have know a lot of people that work in law enforcement that carry them as their duty weapon. So if I can find one in my price range I will consider a Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have a plain Jane Springfield arms 1911. I looked up the price today and it seems $700 is the going price. Plus a holster, a few clips and a cleaning kit, it is within your budget. I love it. It has never faltered and I absolute confidence in it. I have seven clips loade with 230 grain Remington hollow points. I don't think anyone wants to be on the bad end of it. It shoots great too!
    With the plain Jane Springfield's is hammer bite and slide bite much of an issue? Or is it something you can change your grip to avoid? I have shot a few 1911's but they have all had beaver tails. I currently have a glock 19 and a FNH FNP9, but I mostly carry my Glock 19. So making the switch to a 1911 for my carry gun is a big change.

For a 1911 strictly as a carry piece, I would go with a Commander sized gun, with an alloy frame. A regular Govt Model feels great on your hip the first day you carry it, but after that you realize that the dang things are heavy. I toted one for 2 1/2yrs, I now have a S&W J frame in my pocket at all times.

Anyways, good luck and remember that for quality and resale value, you can't miss with a Colt.

I agree with The Kid; don't get a full size for daily carry. I carry a full size on duty and carried it off duty for a time. It's a pain compared to the Springfield compact I carry off duty now. Definitely go small and light for daily carry or you're likely to stop carrying it.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Colt. Colt. Colt

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    For a 1911 strictly as a carry piece, I would go with a Commander sized gun, with an alloy frame. A regular Govt Model feels great on your hip the first day you carry it, but after that you realize that the dang things are heavy. I toted one for 2 1/2yrs, I now have a S&W J frame in my pocket at all times.

Anyways, good luck and remember that for quality and resale value, you can't miss with a Colt.
    I will look into a Colt and will consider a Commander sized gun. Currently I carry a either a Glock 19 or my FNP9 and both of which are fairly uncomfortable to carry in a IWB holster. I am wanting to get a 1911 because they are significantly thinner then either of my carry guns. Once again thanks for the info I would have never considered an alloy frame, I will look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by akmikey907 View Post
    I will look into a Colt and will consider a Commander sized gun. Currently I carry a either a Glock 19 or my FNP9 and both of which are fairly uncomfortable to carry in a IWB holster. I am wanting to get a 1911 because they are significantly thinner then either of my carry guns. Once again thanks for the info I would have never considered an alloy frame, I will look into them.
    A big thing for concealed carry comfort is your holster choice, for the 1911 and just about any other gun you consider carrying i strongly recommend the crossbreed super tuck deluxe. I used mine to carry either my kimber custom II (government) or my Kimber CDP II Pro ( Commander). The weight difference between the aluminum frame on the CDP II is considerable compared to the steel frame Custom II, but both are extremely comfortable to carry with the crossbreed holster, and I have no problem carrying either one around all day.

Also, I have a crossbreed for my Glock 19. Not sure what you are using as your carry rig, but you may want to consider one for your G19 if you are not familiar with them. Not sure where you live, but I am in Eagle River if you ever want to try mine on seeing as you won't find them in any stores around here. You may just find yourself happy carrying the glock around all day.

Quote Originally Posted by lildevock View Post
    A big thing for concealed carry comfort is your holster choice, for the 1911 and just about any other gun you consider carrying i strongly recommend the crossbreed super tuck deluxe. I used mine to carry either my kimber custom II (government) or my Kimber CDP II Pro ( Commander). The weight difference between the aluminum frame on the CDP II is considerable compared to the steel frame Custom II, but both are extremely comfortable to carry with the crossbreed holster, and I have no problem carrying either one around all day.

Also, I have a crossbreed for my Glock 19. Not sure what you are using as your carry rig, but you may want to consider one for your G19 if you are not familiar with them. Not sure where you live, but I am in Eagle River if you ever want to try mine on seeing as you won't find them in any stores around here. You may just find yourself happy carrying the glock around all day.
    Thanks for the info the current IWB holster I have is a DeSantis Intruder which is very similar to the crossbreed. Its a good holster I only have two problems with it is the slide digs into my side when I am driving and it is a pain to get on and off. I have looked at the crossbreeds and have considered them. I have been in the market for a new holster for the past few months, I am probably going to just spend the money and buy a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 which is an all leather IWB. I liked it because you can quickly take it on and off. Which is a plus for me because I am a college student and I can have a gun in my car but I can't carry on campus, also I can't carry when I am work too. A friend of mine bought one and let me try it for a few hours and I hardly even notice it. The only downside is it will take about six months to get to here. I might buy a crossbreed in the mean time, but now since its colder and I am always wearing a jacket I mostly use a outside the waist band holster which if I can conceal it easy it is always my first choice for holsters.

For a nice, quality, no-frills handmade IWB that won't break the bank, check out NM Holsters. I bought one for my Ruger P345 last year. 75 bucks, 1 week turn around.

http://nm-holsters.com

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    For a nice, quality, no-frills handmade IWB that won't break the bank, check out NM Holsters. I bought one for my Ruger P345 last year. 75 bucks, 1 week turn around.

http://nm-holsters.com

Thanks that is very similar to the Milt Sparks I was looking at. I will take a look at them because one week turnaround is much better then six months.

i have a ruger and love it... also you can look into the desert eagles 1911... i like the trigger on it way better as well as it comes with a full length guide rod. when i got mine a few weeks ago their was a 30 dollar diff with the ruger and the desert eagle. my ruger is stainless and the desert was blued... i got the ruger on that it was stainless and i could upgrade to the better trigger and guide rod later if i wanted. i paid 620 out the door at sportsman's with my discounts. it retailed for 699 and the desert was 730. the ruger came with 1 7 round and 1 8 round mag. the eagle came with 2 8 rounders. good luck and post some pics when you get her... my next upgrades for it is a .460 roland conversion and a .22 conversion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast