Thread: pac boots??

Default pac boots??

My feet get cold easily, so I am looking for a not-so-bulky, removable liner pac boot. MY main application will be winter hiking (some steep wind-blown slopes) and snowshoeing. Good soles are a must for on rocks.

I have been looking at the Kenetrek 13" Grizz or Schnees Hunter II. Anyone have experience putting miles on either of these or any other recommendations?

I read that at one time Whites were having probs with the rubber breaking down on theirs....any idea where this is now?

Thank you!

aint nothing wrong with having an intermediate pair of boots along with a set big big ones. They aren't as warm as other style of boots, but they sure are lighter for on the move stuff. I snowshoe, hike, ice fish and hunt in these (temps 20 below or wamer):

But extra liners and bring them with you. Tuck your hunting pants into the top before lacing them up, no snow gets in.

http://www.sorel.com/Men%27s-Maveric...efault,pd.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Mav...orel+mavericks
    Attached Images Attached Images

matnaggewinu

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

pacs???? try bunnies... no liner.. dump the water out.. and reheat.. simple as that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    My feet get cold easily, so I am looking for a not-so-bulky, removable liner pac boot. MY main application will be winter hiking (some steep wind-blown slopes) and snowshoeing. Good soles are a must for on rocks.

I have been looking at the Kenetrek 13" Grizz or Schnees Hunter II. Anyone have experience putting miles on either of these or any other recommendations?

I read that at one time Whites were having probs with the rubber breaking down on theirs....any idea where this is now?

Thank you!
    If you're looking to get a packer style boot, I would go with the Schnees Extreme, especially if your prone to cold feet. The Schnees Hunters are, in my opinion, more of a Wyoming/Montana 3 1/2 season type boot. I have a lot of miles and years on my Extremes and they're a very good quality all around pac; good for all but the coldest weather so long as you're reasonably active. If you're sitting on the ice at -40 for several hours you'll get cold in them. Lots of folks like bunny boots, but I don't; they're uncomfortable, restrict too much blood flow, and since they don't breathe my feet rot in them in short order. For the really cold stuff, I have a pair of Northern Outfitters boots, and I love them. They're 15 years old now and still going strong (I did recently get a new pair of liners). I think the Northern Outfitters are the best extreme cold boot going, but the Schnees Extreme are better suited to snowshoes, and they're my daily go to boots here in the interior.

On the Whites; I can confirm that several years ago they were using some terrible rubber; it was cracking under flexion in the cold, and they didn't stand behind them when they failed. Prospector Outfitters in Fairbanks dropped them for that reason. At some point they started carrying them again.... Don't know if the problem is resolved. Regardless, I can say that Schnees has, in my opinion, the best rubber of all the pacs. It's as close to the original LaCrosse recipe as can be had I think. My current pair of Schnees are about 6 years old, and the rubber shows no sign of degradation.

If you call schnees and have a frank conversation with them about the current state of the rubber quality and who's manufacturing it etc, I'm sure they'll give you straight answers. They're good folks.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

The Sorels made in china don't last but the ones made by Kaufman in Canada are still good.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

White's elk guides have been the primary winter sports boots in my house for 12 years or so. There are 4 pair in the closet. Good warmth to -40, no crisis when you find yourself in knee deep water, great factory support for repairs/rebuilds. Those are statements from experience, not internet stories. Whites have earned their keep with my family.

i have worn schnee's "extreme" ( elk hunter ) for years now and think they are one of the warmest pac boots out there. the foot is double insulated and includes a high quality liner so that you can have a spare. my schnee hunter ll's are great when hunting and are more narrow which is ideal for stirrup or snowshoe binding. i bought my first pair from the boseman store, and found customer service to be knowledgeable and very helpful. after the first pair of bottoms wore out, they were sent back to schnee's for replacement bottoms. when returned to me the stitching wasn't complete on one boot...one friendly phone call later they sent by overnight mail a brand new pair. unbelieveable! i currently own 3 different prs of schnees and extra liners.

my old whites's elk guides are also a great boot with a heavier liner. they are not as supportive for me as the schnee boots.
    happy trails.
    jh

I have two pair of Sorel pacs, oldest (24 yrs) is a 10-12" with 9mm felts (3rd set) and Aqua Sael on the cracks and newest (10 yrs) at 16" rubber bottom/cordura uppers (Sorel/Cabela's) rated at -100 and they need new inserts. There may be better out there but I can't part with 'em and both have served me well. A new pair of -100 can run $240.00 now and the inserts 30-45 bucks.

Another item that may help is the heated insoles from ThermaCELL. Costs about $130 but you get a remote control to control how much heating your feet require. Turn it off while walking, mid range while stalking and high when glassing or stationary.