Thread: Yup, another spotter thread

Default Yup, another spotter thread

First off, my limit is set at $1500 with eye piece. I have used a $100 burris for over a decade and want something better for the goat and sheep. I am really tired of hoofing it steep country to see that it is 7/8 or a nanny. I think that the 65mm objective is appropriate for my needs.

After some research, I have narrowed it down to the Zeiss Dialyt and the Kowa 664 (I think).

The Zeiss may have more resale value(?) and better 'armor'.

The Kowa has a 66mm objective with a 20-60x eye piece with fantastic reveiws. Yet costs a little more.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Delta Junction AK

I've had a Dialyt for 2 years...great scope for hunting. I wrote something of a review on it shortly after I got it.

You can find demos on Cameraland for just under a grand. Stick it on a good tripod and you're still way under budget.
    Last edited by hodgeman; 11-18-2012 at 17:16. Reason: added link
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sitka, Ak

I bought the Kowa this past spring. After some testing I sent it back. For me the optics were ok at low magnification but once zoomed in, I couldn't hardly get my eye into the "sweet spot". After a Brooks trip with borrowed optics, I bought a used 65mm Swarovski on Ebay. I didn't get the greatest deal (but within your limit), the optics are pretty **** good, and it is waaay more forgiving to my eye. Plus I felt OK buying used as the waranty is for life and highly regarded.

Thanks for the input. I may have to try the Dialyt.

I keep eyeballing the Swarovskis, but I have all ready stretched my budget from the Vortex Viper scopes to where I am at now