Thread: birds and rabbits with a pistol

Default birds and rabbits with a pistol

I am thinking of buying a few packs of the 44 mag bird shot rounds and takeing it out and trying it, see how they work on rabbits and birds. I will let you all know how it works when I do go, but for now anyone who has tried it I would like your opinion as I have never shot those rounds before. Would be a blast if they put out enough.

used it a few times, not much luck, semed like you had o be right on top of the bird to kill it

Better to make head shots with a solid bullet.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

ya that birdshot in pistol calibers is for the birds.. i like solid .22 slug.
    Semper Fi!

I remember a grouse I shot with my 44 bird shot, very close in a tree......feathers flew everywhere and he flew off like nothing happened....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Your range and kill zone will be greatly reduced. Go to the range and pattern that shot in your gun before hunting with it.
    I shot several 10 round box's of the shotshells through my 44 mag BH w/ 7.5 inch barrel and my 45 LC BH w/ 4 5/8 inch barrel.

I found that beyond 10 measured yards very few pellets would land inside a ten inch circle, if any. I found I had to be within 5 yards in order to place enough pellets inside the ten inch circle to consider it capable of a quick kill.

I tried the rounds in the field with horrible results in those two guns. The longest shot I was able to make with the shotshells was 7-8 yards, and that was not a clean kill. I had to grab the birds and finish them by hand. Although another member here did screw up and somehow hit a ptarmigan as it was rising off the ground about 15 yards away from him. Since he couldn't duplicate the shot, I marked it as luck. It was pretty cool to watch. And yes, he still had to finish that bird by hand as well.

In hind sight, I would have been better off buying something esle with the money I put into the shot shells.

Their more of a snake load 3-5 foot shot than a bird shot. iofteaiga nailed it, make a head shot with a solid bullet. You can also take it in the legs for birds, chances are the breast will be fine. For rabbits, the entire front end is a target since all the meat is in the back and rear legs. I suggest just carry a 22 pistol like a ruger or buckmark. Lot of fun and cheap to shoot compaired to a box of bird shot. My son uses a crossman pump action pistol .177 cal. Now, that is sporty.

Well I got the answers I wanted to hear. I guess ill buy a box and play around with them for fun I do need to pick up a nice pellet pistol wich from the sounds would be the cost of the shot shells before you actualy did hit something well with them. The 44 I was thinking of useing is my ruger srh alaskan so im sure it wont shoot worth a darn if you guys havent had great luck in a long barrel. Thanks for saveing me alot of heart ache and money guys.

Out of a TC Contender it works a little bit. Of course there is a screw in choke that shreds the plastic in my barrel. Out of my .44 Smith, I'd be better throwing it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My son and I each have one of these. Can't go wrong with the price either, and plenty of power for birds and Hare.

http://www.amazon.com/Crossman-Ameri...man+pellet+gun

I have got a few birds at very close range with 44mag shot shells, I think I have got more bird by throwing rocks or with a slingshot. I have however done very well with a single shot 410 pistol that my Grandfather has. I killed many birds as a child out four wheeling and camping with my Grandfather. I have been looking a getting either the Taurus Judge or a S&W Governor because they both can shoot 410. I think they would be a great option to take a long snowmachining or hiking for the occasional bird I come across during the season when I am not specifically hunting.