Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running bears with dogs out in

Default Anyone running bears with dogs out in

PWS. Just applied for a permit and should be coming soon. I only have one dog but am going to try her. Plus permit is good for tracking big game if wounded. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Default sounds like fun

pws has a lot of steep and rocky terrain. a bear might easily run where you would have a tought time following.

Default hound?

what kind of dog are you running? do you have a tracking unit? i have never heard of only 1 dog for running bears, and be carefull in areas with alot of wolves they can put a hurtin on hounds, how hard is it to get a permit to run bears with hounds?

Default not hard at all once you get

a fish and game employee to cooperate. I eventually emailed Dave Crowley in Cordova and he is getting one mailed to me. The areas i know do get steep but mostly bears hang around low for this time of year. Never heard or seen wolves out there but could see how can take out a dog or two. My dog is only 16#'s but full of spunk and made for it. I have a shock collar i use on her and she is trained pretty well with it. Mainly i just whistle and she comes or slows or waits for me depending on how i wistle. Another guy on here has some dogs like mine but not sure if it will work out to take him out. Have some people i have to try and get bears including myself. She will be going along with me and figured i might as well get a permit just in case. If nothing else just for tracking once wounded, hate it when that happens.

I am very curious about this. Can these permits be aquired for other sections of the state? Perhaps this is another possible answer for the 16B bear problems. Do all people hunting behind the dogs have to have permits or just the dogs owner? very interesting sure would be easier to haul dogs out to 16b in a boat once than bait out every couple of days!

Default Runnin bears

I grew up running bears with walkers back in Wv. Im not saying it cant be done but running with one dog isnt likely. Ive seen a bear run down a pack of 11 dogs. It never did tree or bay up. Half those dogs couldnt hardly walk. If you are just useing It to track after wounding that might work but with an over agressive dog it could get ugly. I thought about this a couple years ago but i was worried about brownies and wolves eating my dogs so ill stick with spot and stalk. Good luck Hillbilly

Default Only one dog

I know here in Wisconsin most guys that run bears would not even think about going out with at least three or four dogs. Even if only a couple are trained well. The others will at least get in the way of the bear from eating the good dogs. Also in a area that has wolves they normaly only run large pack of dogs. The wolves around here have a tendency to run down and kill hounds. Seems they do not like them much. So if it was me and I had a lot of time in a dog I would not run bears with just her. Even after the shot I would keep her on a tight leash. They tend to forget everything once the smell a bear.

Default I have heard a lot of that already and not sure

what I will do. I am anxious to see what she will do. With this breed one down side is that they have been known to fight to their death. On the other hand their size allows them to get in and get the job done with out getting hurt like the larger hounds. But like mentioned I don't want to get her killed.

The permits are unit oriented i guess. You have to contact the Fish and Game office closest too or the one that regulates that unit. Like for Western PWS it is the cordova office.

I wouldn't mind going to unit 16b if someother people wanted to go with dogs.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 07-16-2007 at 22:47.

I see you're getting started on the Before & After photos....

Default What kind of hound is that?

I have hunted with hounds all my life, mostly racoon hunting. I have hunted with all types, but I think a string of Plott hounds up here would do pretty good but not just one by its self. Thats just a disaster waiting to happen. What kind of dog is that I have never seen that kind of hound before?

Default she is a

German Jagd Terrier. Awesome dog. Broke her of chasing moose. Part of why I bought the shock collar. But she sniff them out till she found the moose. Seen her go toe to toe with nice bull in Campbell Air strip area. Pretty impressive. The moose eventually ran off with her at her heals.

I am starting to second think about using her. But with the shock collar i can call her and if she don't come buzz her and she usually comes running. Plus the collar is good for a mile range.

Not going to take her this weekend, gotta concentrate on getting the bait out.

Default hounds

I have a friend that is big into hounds, specifically walker hounds. He has some incredible ones and they run bears with 4 or more dogs. He gave me one of his best dogs for Alaska and while I did use him, he never treed one. I could hear him yapping until I couldn't hear him anymore. It was late at night and I left my coat there and went home. We were about 5 miles from home. The next morning, drove back with the atv, and the hound was snuggled up on the coat sound asleep. Well trained, but could never use/run him enough and I returned him back to Montana to where he got back into shape and got to do what he was bred to do, run cats and bears.

I would highly suggest you not feed that little dog to the wilds of Alaska. She's cute but she looks more at home there on the couch than chasing bears that will likely eat her or some other critter that crosses her path. The dogs that I have seen that hunt cats and bears in the southwest dont lay on couches and dont get too much human love, they are hard core and built for the work they do in numbers. Sending that little girl out on her own on a bear track into the wild is like kissing her goodbye IMO.

I know a guide in Russia who raised Jagd Terriers. Incredible dogs. He used to run bears with three or four though.

One of my old lead dogs, a 55lb husky, long gone now, used to tree black bears right here in the yard when the bear would wander into camp. Never did see a blackie do anything than tree, but grizzlies would always run off. Used to travel with this lead dog too, just me and him, and had our share of run-ins with bears, and it was the same thing. Dog never got a scratch from any of them. I wouldn't underestimate the power of just one dog, even a little terrier. It's hard to keep the dog off of other game, though. Be careful the first time she bays a moose up in the water; some dogs will swim out there and get stomped. If they survive they never do that again.

Good luck,

Default bushrat

thanks for the encouragement. I know she is small but she knows when she is on the trail or at home. They are bred that way. Good house dogs, never bark and fun to have in the house. But when on the trail it's another story. They are also mean enough to go into dens and kill the badgers or foxes or whatever and drag them out. Haven't came across any of those yet, would kinda be hesitant on wolverine though. But i have a feeling she might be fine on her own for bear. Will just play it by ear once I get her out there. Only bad thing is she is not afraid of anything. But I have seen her flinch and watch out before she makes a move. Its like she know whether or not she can handle the situation. But if and when she goes for it she is commited. Plus she is fast and can juke and jive like something else. Where the bigger hounds are a little slower move as quick around the feet of the animal. I am not sure if I could handle another one of these dogs. Kind of a handfull, needs tons of exercise so she don't tear up my house.

Smile Recommended reading

akstabout, I just finished a book entitled "Meet, Mr. Grizzly" by Montigue Stevens. It has been out of print since 1927 but has just been printed again. It is about a man who trained a special pack of dogs to hunt bears. While he also took black bears, his dogs were specifically trained to hunt grizzlies. This took place over 100 years ago in New Mexico and Colorado. One of his "specialty dogs" was a terrier. I'm not saying that hunting bears in Alaska is anything like what it was in west a hundred years ago, BUT I do recommend you read it, as I believe it would answer some question for you. Actually, I highly recommend it to anybody who likes to hunt bears - it's a good read

Interesting idea. But isn't the object of using dogs to tree or otherwise occupy the bear so the hunter can get close enough for a shot? Can one dog do that? Maybe if you can get there quick enough. I would think if you take too long to get to the bear, it will keep moving. One dog would only occupy the bear for a short time. Maybe you need a couple more terriers.
    If you do this, I sure hope you got a digital cam so you can show us pics.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default treeing bears

I hunted dogs on the brushy Oregon coast many years and treed several bears with one dog. Also had bears that wouldn't tree with a pack of dogs. Just depends on the bear as picture below shows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Getting the permit tomorrow

Went out saturday may 5th but left Nellie at home. Still tons of snow out there but the beaches are clean new grass shoots are growing up already. Might not take her out there until towards the end of the month. I am still debating letting her out on her own. But after last night I have more confidence in controlling her. Went for a bike ride at 10:30pm and seen a rabbit. I pointed to her where I seen it and she picked up the scent and I seen black and white racing through trees and trails. She was barking like none other and I could hear she was getting pretty far away. I just whistled with my lips and paused, did this three times and on the last two I nicked her with collar. She came running from way down the mushing trail just as happy as could be. I was surprised she responded that quick for being only her second rabbit and she had been couped up in the house for 15 hours while I was out boating. Was really cool hearing her bark though. I know a bear isn't going to be like a rabbit was just cool to see her in action and how well she listened.

Default I will have pictures

if we do go through with it. I know we are going to see bears eventually and maybe if we shoot one let her track it after we hear the death moan and see how well she does with the blood, I let her track a wounded moose and she did awesome at only 8months. Plus since I have been running her with my bike she has gotten very very fast, was already a fast dog but now geese she can fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast