Thread: Dog on the trapline?

Default Dog on the trapline?

Do you think it would mess with your success do to the smell of a domestic K-9? I have taken my pup on the line with me a few times and have yet to trap her. It sure is interesting watching her and what her nose picks up on that one might miss. I figure it might also help to educate her if she were to get into a snare or a #1.

What are your opinions?
    -Caleb-

Don't think it would mess with success but remember there are other trappers our there. My pups got himself in my sets one to many times to go with me anymore. Hate to see him stick his head in a 330.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Don't think it would mess with success but remember there are other trappers our there. My pups got himself in my sets one to many times to go with me anymore. Hate to see him stick his head in a 330.
    I agree, I only take her on my line. I was just thinking if I take her along with me on my line and educate her, maybe she would be more inclined to leave other peoples sets alone when we go for a ride in another area. She's a good pup, sure would hate to find her in a 330. What got me thinking about this is my older dog was snared by someone else (setting snares close to a residence) and she didn't choke herself out. If it were the pup I figure she would have been dead.
    -Caleb-

By the way, she is the one that alerted me to a wolf pissing post where I was able to catch a Lynx so far. I started making her stay at home after I had more sets out and I'm now thinking that I'm going about it all wrong. I'm thinking take and educate before I get my wolf sets out. Let her get snapped in a #1 or hung up in a snare while I am there to release her quickly.
    -Caleb-

Dogs on the line can be both an asset and a hindrance it all depends on the dog. Properly trained they can be an asset finding a missing critter and showing you things particularly pee post. Not properly trained they can run helter skelter all over and just plain screw up a good set. They need to know commands like NO, SIT and STAY and a obey them without hesitation
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it