Thread: Bear Bait Pics

Default Bear Bait Pics

No I dont have any yet but......heres my question:

How many of you have had good luck using a trail cam on your bearbaits? I picked one up today against my better judgement as I know that its gonna get eaten just like everything else thats within 20 yards of the bait but I couldn't resist. My plans are to try and religouosly use a clean pair of latex gloves each time I handle it so as not to put any of the familiar bait smells on it in hopes that it doesn't get eaten. How many of you guys have effectively used a cam on your baits that didn't or did get eaten for that matter.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    No I dont have any yet but......heres my question:

How many of you have had good luck using a trail cam on your bearbaits?....
    I've never tried it, primarily because I didn't want to spend the money on one.

And at a bear bait station, I suspect your fears of the thing getting eaten are very valid.

But I'll bet you can get some neat photos with one (if it survives), and it will likely give you timestamps that might prove useful.

I hear ya I remember when I first started bearbaiting and I used to feed the bears $15 trail timers, boy that got old after a few. The way I see it is that this one I got was under $100 so it could be like feeding the bears King Crab we'll see.

Those cams are amazing. I've got some wonderful pics of bears. They didn't really seem to care about the big black thing tied to a tree. I even got pictures of them licking the camera and rubbing against it. I think it's worth buying one. If you don't get good pics at least you'll get to see what bears are coming in when you're not there.

-Eric

I got one out on my bear bait stand and got two more on the way from ebay. I hope the bears don't rip it off the tree and take off with it, but I do know that is a possibility that it might not be there when I go check it again. If not, I'll probably have quite a few pictures of bears this year. My camera has already snapped pics of a moose at my stand licking the barrel.

Default Trail cam

My cam survived the whole season last year. Do not put it right where you think the bear will have to walk past it to get to the bait, and of course don't touch it with your syrup filled hands. For me, I am on the side of a mountain and I put the cam on the downhill side of the barrel and they never seem to bother it because there is no food down there. A friend of mine had his cam right on the trail the bears walked in on, and they whacked the thing and clawed it up everytime they came in .

Jason

Default Camera

Check out swivelsafe.com He made me a pretty nice cover and mounting bracket out of 1/8 steel..you might find some on e-bay they are about $60-70...You have to googel his site due to construction of the site or you can e-mail him @ tkbza@swivelsafe.com

We had two cameras munched on, then we took an ammo can and cut the right sized holes for the cam and welded some sharp studs on it and this solved the problem.

Default wrong e-mail

his e-mail is tkobza@swivelsafe.com my bad?? or Googel his site www.swivelsafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by reilly View Post
    Check out swivelsafe.com He made me a pretty nice cover and mounting bracket out of 1/8 steel..you might find some on e-bay they are about $60-70...You have to googel his site due to construction of the site or you can e-mail him @ tkbza@swivelsafe.com

Boards with nails placed around the tree fixed my problem.

Default trail cams

I have had huge success, the black bears tend to bite on them a little, the brown bears always left them alone. but i have had huge success.

I never tried it, not even once.

i have used them two years with varied results. placed camera 12-15 feet in the tree angled down 10 yards away, this was to prevent damage. the camera was missing some pictures, reason i knew this was, i was there and there were no pictures of bears i saw come in. cutteback said the angle was the reason i was missing some pictures????? did not make sence to me as bears were in same spot that the camera caught others. i have on ordered a steel box cutteback sells to prevent damage and it will be 3-4 feet off ground now.
    Here is the most bears i have caught on camera.... i was surprised to see the tiny cub in there with 3 larger bears....i'm sure momma was one of the three. also notice time of day......we were napping
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default trail cams

I don't personally have the facts but I know they have been used for serveral years for research. If memory serves right the guys who manage the Ft.Rich hunts have them.

Cool They work great

I have one and it works great. My Buddy used 5 50 cord to secure it to the tree last year and I found it 15 yards away from the stand. I have some great pics, and it only took me the entire baiting season to figure the digital timer out.

Default Skunk scent... ?

Do you have skunks in Alaska ? If so, has anyone tried wiping down their camera with skunk scent? I've done it in Maine with trail timers and it worked like a charm. May sound crazy but I thought I'd ask. Boy, I envy you guys up there with a Spring bear season!

Default Trail Cam

I have just put one up as well. I used the ammo can set up. So far nothing has messed with it yet.

Default might work

Quote Originally Posted by MEtracker View Post
    Do you have skunks in Alaska ? If so, has anyone tried wiping down their camera with skunk scent? I've done it in Maine with trail timers and it worked like a charm. May sound crazy but I thought I'd ask. Boy, I envy you guys up there with a Spring bear season!
    We don't have skunks here(I dealt with enough of them growing up in Maine). The skunk scent idea might work though. Or it might make them curious and destry a camera. One never knows what bears will do.

Default skunk scent

I use skunk scent to attract bears to my bait station. Any tree that I put the skunk scent on usually gets scratched all to heck by the bears. I wouldnt put it on your camera unless you want it ripped apart.