Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACKLEY IMPROVED Rounds

Default ACKLEY IMPROVED Rounds

OK GUYS; Here's the gun question of the week..... During his shooting career P.O.Ackley modified nearly every commercial and military round available. WHICH round that he modifed (Ackley Improved not wildcatted) showed the most improvement by being A.I.'d by % ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

6.5x55 swede is up there but I want to say it was the 257 Roberts and I didn't google this for the answer. Oh and 7x57 those are my top 3 with the 257 Roberts being first

I'd guess either the .257 or 30-30.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    OK GUYS; Here's the gun question of the week..... During his shooting career P.O.Ackley modified nearly every commercial and military round available. WHICH round that he modifed (Ackley Improved not wildcatted) showed the most improvement by being A.I.'d by % ?
    I'm thinking the 250 Savage shows the most "improvement" as a percentage of velocity gain, but I've never dealt with it. The 6.5 Swede can show a lot of improvement, especially if you remember that it is factory loaded very modestly (45-50,000 psi). A 6.5x55AI can easily make 2-300 fps more velocity with 140 grain bullets.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My memory tells me 30WCF but I could be wrong. 30/30AI sure does make a humdinger of a singleshot cartridge, not bad in lever rifles either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    My memory tells me 30WCF but I could be wrong. 30/30AI sure does make a humdinger of a singleshot cartridge, not bad in lever rifles either.
    I'd say bingo there. The word was something like 30% I think but nobody I ever knew got those results so I‘ve long suspicion he was hot roding in a bolt action.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I'd say bingo there. The word was something like 30% I think but nobody I ever knew got those results so I‘ve long suspicion he was hot roding in a bolt action.
    That does sound a bit like PO, 30% improvement would put it above the 30/06 when using 150 grain bullets........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

As much as I like Ackley's work...the folks I personally know who've messed with AI cartridges generally are underwhelmed. His work primarily occurred during the era of "magnumania" where folks worshipped at the fps altar to the exclusion of all else. A few of his wildcats border on the absurd- the Loudensplitten Eargunboomer comes immediately to mind.

I do wonder where his work would have went with today's powders however since modern powder will often exceed his results without altering the chamber at all...heck, with certain cartridges you can get better performance with factory loads (light magnum, super performance) than the AI version of the same cartridges.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I know folks who shoot the 30/30AI in singleshots and claim it's pretty much the rimmed equivalent of the 300 Savage as loaded for the 99. That's a pretty good step up and about perfect for the majority of American big game hunting.

Also I know that PO did some hotrodding in a 94 with the 30/30AI, that gun was the vehicle for the casewall cling tests. He took the lockinblock out of it, installed an extralong firingpin and shot it with some stout loads. I'm not sure if this is the gun he was using for his chronographing though. If I ever pick up a 788 on the cheap it will definitely get punched out, don't think I'd be coldhearted enough to do it to a M54 Win which is another on my watch list and strangely the 30-30 is the only one I want in a 54.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    That does sound a bit like PO, 30% improvement would put it above the 30/06 when using 150 grain bullets........
    What I’ve seen is more like 10% in levers which is good but to my mind ain’t worth the hassle. Why try to make a 30-30 into an 06 when there’s an 06 leaning in every third corner anyway. But 30-30 in a bolt action will run right on up there real close to 300 Savage without even playing any reamer games. So I suspect PO was failing to mention his 30-30 numbers were coming from a bolt gun and not the lever everyone thinks of when they hear 30-30 . . . or as Kid says otherwise supporting the bolt on a 94.

Kid a 788 in 30-30 is still too kool to punch out till ya shoot it out showing off what that sleepy ole 30-30 can do. Hold my Koolaid and watch this here!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Some of you are correct in that it is a lever action round.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Yrs ago my friend looked and looked for a 24inch marlin in a 30-30 cause he wanted to to the AI. He read and saw the results ackley was getting. So finally finds one he rechambers it off to the range, he loaded up 150gr bullets and set the chroni up. Started shooting huh we are not seeing the velocities matter of fact about 50-75f.p.s better than the regular old 30-30. After that, that rifle sat in a corner he never bothered with it. So believe what you want but the 30-30 AI is pointless

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Some of you are correct in that it is a lever action round.
    250 savage AI?

Doesn't the 7mm-08 AI see a pretty good increase in fps?

Probably not without overloading it, ain't much bod taper to iron out of any of the 08 based stuff. Guys probably just hotrod the heck out of it because its an Ackley. Hard to tell without pressure equipment.

Well I looked it up... Here they are
    25-35
    30-40 krag
    250 savage
    6.5x 55
    30-30
    7x57

The 250 Savage provides the largest gain when it is Improved according to Ackley and other sources.

P.O. never improved ANYTHING. He basically hacked rifles into wildcats without any significant gain. Just buy the next bigger cartridge in your bore diameter and call it a day......Just my brief rant against non-standard cartridges. If I ever find out where he is buried, I'm going to salt his grave so no grass grows on it...
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    P.O. never improved ANYTHING. He basically hacked rifles into wildcats without any significant gain. Just buy the next bigger cartridge in your bore diameter and call it a day......Just my brief rant against non-standard cartridges. If I ever find out where he is buried, I'm going to salt his grave so no grass grows on it...
    I couldnt agree more. Read Vol 1 & Vol 2 of Ackleys books. The velocities he quoted were simply nuts most of the time. Maybe he did obtain that performance but even then it was unsafe and brass most likely only lasted one round. Add to the fact any wildcat is more difficult to sell than an factory chambering.
    If you really need more speed and want to stay with a chosen round try rebarreling with a 26-28 inch tube.

Default .375-'06 ai

This is the only AI I've got, but I understand it does help with the head spacing issues - if there are really any -and nudges the velocity a bit. It is one caliber where the AI maybe more common than the garden variety .375-06.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast