Thread: skinning

Default skinning

how does every one skin there furs? my younger brother was taught to tube skin from the mouth with no cuts to the fur. I am goin to do the same on my furs this year if i get any! have you ever tanned your own furs as well?

Furs for sale at market are cased, starting at the hind end. Someone posted a link to the NAFTA handbook on here a while back, its got a great description of how to handle furs like a pro.

I used a home tanning solution on some hares one time, it was fun and seemed to preserve them well, i'm thinking about trying it on a coyote or something this year. Google "mother earth news tanning" and you should find the article.

There are a bunch of good fur handling videos on you tube too.

Almost all alaskan furbearers are or should be case skinned. Only the weasel family, marten, mink, ermine, can be easily skinned thru the mouth. Fox, coyotes, wolves, wolverines, etc have shoulders that are to big to fit thru the mouth hole.

Beaver are typically split down the belly when skinned and then hoop stretched.

I personally think that using a tannery like Moyles is superior to doing it yourself. Unless you just want to do it for the experience. They do a super job for such a small amount of $ that it is not worth the effort. If you are selling to a fur auction of course there is no need for tanning.

The alaska trappers association has a good manual on Alaska Trapping that shows trapping methods, traps, lures, baits, skinning, etc..it is a good resource although nowadays there is a ton of information available for free on the internet even for alaskan specific critters.

Good luck

Skinning from the mouth would be very hard! case skinned from the back legs would be the way to go if you get a fox. If you are planning on keeping him I'd send him to Moyle. Let me know I'm always shipping stuff down I could put it in one of my larger orders and it would save you the shipping and you get a cheaper rate with bulk. Downside its about 90 days to get your furs back.

my brothers was a dutch harbor fox and he was taught how to skin a animal rite so said, by a 70 year old japanese man thats been here for ever and done it his whole life and the taxi loved him and mounted it for nothing a full fox mount 650 i think because there was no sewing realy. they broke the body down to get it out. ive realy only known of case skinning thats why i ask

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    they broke the body down to get it out.
    Do you mean broke the body down to get it out through the mouth?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I used a home tanning solution on some hares one time, it was fun and seemed to preserve them well,
    From what I've gathered the tanning part isn't that hard. It's the softening of the skin that I would think would be pretty tough. I actually tanned a mule deer hide (hair on) using alum and it turned out good. BUT......I never got around to trying to soften it and sold it some time later. I have a tanned caribou hide right now that has never been softened. I wonder what is the best way?

BTW.....years ago I read that every animal has enough brains in it that it can be used to tan their hide. I don't know if that's true or not.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Do you mean broke the body down to get it out through the mouth?
    yes they broke down the body to get it through the mouth my brother said it was close with out haveing to but they were afraid of ripping it what suprized me was the taxi mounted it with out cutting it. wonder how he got it on the mold

For some skinning marten mink and weasels through the mouth is as quick or quicker then those who do it from the rear end. The big advantage especially with weasel and mink is it makes it very easy to avoid slicing the glands. Like all skinning the more you do it one way the faster you get. I do my weasels and mink through the mouth to avoid the glands the marten I do from the rear because for me it is faster but I have a buddy who can skin one through the mouth faster than I can from the rear. He does 100 + a year I do 20 on a good year.
    It is like the deal with beaver clean skinning vs rough skinning and then fleshing. It can be done either way and the end result is the same
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    For some skinning marten mink and weasels through the mouth is as quick or quicker then those who do it from the rear end. The big advantage especially with weasel and mink is it makes it very easy to avoid slicing the glands. Like all skinning the more you do it one way the faster you get. I do my weasels and mink through the mouth to avoid the glands the marten I do from the rear because for me it is faster but I have a buddy who can skin one through the mouth faster than I can from the rear. He does 100 + a year I do 20 on a good year.
    It is like the deal with beaver clean skinning vs rough skinning and then fleshing. It can be done either way and the end result is the same
    How do you start when skinning through the mouth?

Rubbing it across the edge of a chair or board for hours is how it used to be done, the tanneries use tumblers with sawdust or other media. People that get real serious about home tanning use an old dryer.

You cut around the upper jaw through the muscle you need a good sharp knife you can cut the fur off at the back of the mouth on the lower jaw as it is usually cut off anyway. Then start pulling you do the eyes and ears next and once past them you can pretty much pull the fur the same as if you were doing it from the rear end.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Interesting, might have to try it if I can get an ermine. What do you do about the tail?

all i know of is to split the tail