Thread: Candle Lantern?

Default Candle Lantern?

Anyone ever pack one of those little candle lanterns? Was thinking it wouldn't be bad this time of year, short days, long nights. Maybe take just a little chill out of the 2 manner tent and give some reading light.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Anyone ever pack one of those little candle lanterns? Was thinking it wouldn't be bad this time of year, short days, long nights. Maybe take just a little chill out of the 2 manner tent and give some reading light.
    I like them, still pack one, especially for snowmachine trips to cabins and such. The amount of heat you'll gain from one is negligible tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree with iofthetaiga. the usefullness of them is worth the extra weight but good luck trying to stay warm with one.

If you put on a good poncho and stick it under the poncho while setting it well warm ya but no light as your head is sticking out hopefully.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I packed one on the Appalachian trail...worked great for knocking the chill off a backpacking tent in cool weather.

Not so sure about up here...warmer than an LED headlamp however.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you put on a good poncho and stick it under the poncho while setting it well warm ya but no light as your head is sticking out hopefully.
    Likewise use a space blanket. Make sure the candle fumes can vent out, but the heat stays under the blanket for awhile.

i used 1 in a small 2 man tent worked great for temps in high 20's, took chill off and was able to read,

That's what I'm looking for, just something to possibly take some of the shill out while I'm in the tent reading.

Candles are sooo very usefull, heat light and comfort.....you can heat a cup of coffee over one in about 10 minutes, then drink it and warm yerself.....lots things you can do with a Candle.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    lots things you can do with a Candle.
    They were pretty popular before we got electricity....lol

But I agree about the candle under a space blanket. If you were to get stuck out in the bush, you can ride out some pretty bad weather holding a candle near your core. They can also come in handy during a hunt, where, say you got finally got on a big ram but were running out of daylight. Instead of heading who knows how far back to spike camp, you could ride out the night with a space blanket and a candle. Yes, it may be a long night, but it would be worth it to be right there where you left the ram at first light.

Sometimes a little thing like that can make all the difference........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

i got one of the black diamond collapsable led lanterns. very light, very small and works well in the cold with lithium batteries. will basically fit in a coat pocket. unfortunately wont put off any heat.

knockin' the chill off?.....better off settin' the tent on fire i think. they give off a little light but i dont' carry one anymore, they weren't that life changing.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have used them in snow camping. They are useful to give some light if your batteries fail like in really cold weather. You can use them to wax skis and skins if you are icing up, assuming you are not on a snow machine. They give off some heat and can barely melt the inside of a well made snow cave giving you some drips. Candles make an emergency fire starter and may be the best reason to carry one. They don't give off as much light as one led and last a tenth of the time. They are fickle in the wind and 10x the weight of an led (like one of the key chain lights). Get more headlamps and ditch the candles if you are worried about weight and have other fire starters.

They do give off that romantic glow if that is the effect you are after.

lol romantic snow cave glow....i gotta try that one!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I use one for my fall hunting trip. They throw a nice light and help with the frost that would cling to the inside of the tent. Nice!

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Caribou and Moose hunts in Unit 23

I carry a candle in my pack all the time. I have a couple in the storage compartment of my snow machine, and my 4-wheeler. When you fall through the river ice and everything gets wet, a candle will still light. They are also good to help start a fire.

Once a year the wife changes out the tall candles she uses in the candle holders for the table. These long tapers can be wrapped in freezer wrap and thrown in the storage compartment on the snow machine. When at the cabin for the night and someone that is not familiar with the cabin spends the night. I will light one of these long candles and set it in the metal top of a big can, so if it falls over it falls inside the metal container. But it will give enough light to make the stranger comfortable. It will last most of the night, so when someone has to get up to go outside during the night they are not stumbling around in the dark. They can also be cut into short lengths if wanted shorter candles. to put inside a small candle lantern.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol romantic snow cave glow....i gotta try that one!!
    Hopefully not with one of your hunters............lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!