Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangle Lakes

Default Tangle Lakes

I am starting to plan a trip up to the Tangle lake system(already thinking about next summer! Yikes!!). This will be my first adventure in that neck of the woods and I was wondering if anybody has any advice, ideas, or just some words of wisdom. Thanks!

Tangles is a great place. I spend a fair bit of time there. I would personally not do the Tangles/Delta float in a canoe but people have.

Be aware the current at the outlet on the lower lake can be pretty fast.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

with a SQ end canoe lift am motor you can go a great distance almost to the rips / falls , then back up up to the road

The fishing for grayling is very good. Definitely plan on bringing light weight fishing gear and a camera. If you do not have class II/class III rapids running experience you may want to just paddle up to the falls and back. If the water is high, as it was last summer it could be a bit exciting. I actually cancelled my trip last summer due to flooding in the Delta river. Tangle lakes is one of my favorite places in Alaska. Hopefully you will pick dates with good weather as it can get wet and cold (still worth it though) . http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/trav...ev_068881.html

If you're going down stream to the Delta, be carefull when approaching the falls. The takeout for the portage is generally marked but you never know when someone may take the sign. The portage is not long but it's up the hill, across the lake, then back down the hill - don't take too much weight. Ater the portage you need to really pay attention so your boat doesn't join the others wrapped around the big rocks. It's not a real difficult stretch of river but it seems to catch a lot of people out. The weather varies greatly - more than in most places. Could be hot or cold, windy, and rainy.

I've canoed both the upper tangle lakes and from the campground to MP212 of the Richardson Hwy.

Lower Tangles to Richardson Hwy
    Gets pretty quick at the outlet, but no more than a class 1. The portage isn't too bad. Right after you put back in below the falls, it's really "boney", so you'll have to use your technical skills for the next 2-3 miles. Once you get through that, it's pretty easy. The only tricky part about the lower end (past Eureka Crk) the silty water and braided nature, it may be difficult to find the deeper stream bed. Be sure to bring your fishing pole...Grayling everyre! ;D

Give the BLM in Glennallen a call, they have river crews floating that all summer, cleaning up campsites. They will have the best information on river conditions and good campsites.
    Last edited by sarahbullock83; 12-15-2012 at 11:26. Reason: duplication

I've canoed both the upper tangle lakes and from the campground to MP212 of the Richardson Hwy.

Lower Tangles to Richardson Hwy
    Gets pretty quick at the outlet, but no more than a class 1. The portage isn't too bad. Right after you put back in below the falls, it's really "boney", so you'll have to use your technical skills for the next 2-3 miles. Once you get through that, it's pretty easy. The only tricky part about the lower end (past Eureka Crk) the silty water and braided nature, it may be difficult to find the deeper stream bed. Be sure to bring your fishing pole...Grayling everywhere! ;D

Give the BLM in Glennallen a call, they have river crews floating that all summer, cleaning up campsites. They will have the best information on river conditions and good campsites.

Depends on how long you want to stay out. My father and I floated the delta this year with a 17' kevlar in 6 days. I took 4 large dry bags, a dog, and some fishing gear and had the trip of a lifetime. My advice would be to call the Tangle Lakes lodge. They charge a very fair service to take your vehicle to the take out. They will also require a float plan and emergency contact info. Great people up there BTW... You can do this float easly in 2 days but that would be fast and dumb. Its beautiful country and the fishing becomes catching just below the falls. If you want more info PM me.

Longkj

Thanks for all the info! I am planning on 1.5 - 2 weeks. I like to enjoy and explore and not rush if I don't have to. There will be fishing. That is the main reason for the trip. I will contact you longkj when I know alittle bit more of our plans and thanks again!

DSCN0125.jpgDSCN0184.jpg
    Just a couple of pics of the Delta for you. This is just down from the falls. Fishing is incredible everywhere on the river but some places are just to nice to pass up so we camped the first place that looked good. I stayed away from the camp grounds. They seemed to be very nice but some people just leave to large of a footprint. I was brought up with the mentality that I should make a place better than I found it. In this case I didn't want to clean the whole trip( wasnt that bad )...On a better note...BLM is doing a great job out there.

AGP.. Ha I think I ran into you on the Swanson trail system last summer. Your crew were hanging at Contact Lake? I too have an Escape. My friend had a kevlar Spirt II. Anyway you got me all pumped on this Tangle lake system. Looks really cool I just hope it doesn't scratch the heck out of my sweet canoe. See you around.

Countrockula, Yes! I remember saying " look how nice those canoes are!"

Tangle lakes is an amazing place as is the delta. Spend plenty of time on the lakes before heading downstream, but i think the river is the best part. The portage around the falls is pretty short/easy with canoes and the grayling fishing amazing. Below Eureka creek it gets cold and fast but it's a short trip from there to the takeout. Hands down one of my favorite river trips and with easy access no less.

J

Look at the freshwater fishing forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...0-Tangle-Lakes

I like the place,
    Hans
    It's what you do when no one is looking that counts.

http://hansmetzler.me/

Can this be done in 1 man cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The lakes would be a lot of fun with the 1 man cat but I would be a litte skeptical of the 1/4 mile portage and the first set of rapids below the falls.

The first part of the portage is only about 300 yards and its nice and easy, but once you cross the beaver pond its all steep, rocky, and down hill. Depending on your setup and gear that portage can get tiring. I had to do three trips because my father is a little to out of shape to be carrying all that gear.

The rapids below the falls are not all that bad but there are alot of rocks. I just do my best to back paddle so I can get to the otherside and line my canou down river. The first 3 miles of river after the falls is the only class 3 water everything else is nice and easy all the way down.

Hope I helped!
    Longkj

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    A guy I worked with told me that him and his friend have done it in one man cats. I also know that allot of people do it with pack rafts.

I would like to do it in a pack raft. That sounds like fun! I know there is a video on YouTube of guys shooting the falls in pack rafts.

How bad is the water below the second falls? I'm thinking about doing this in July with a canoe. I've done the Swan Lake system, Swanson river, and moose river.

sent from my igloo

Canoe is no problem. Just down from the falls is full of rocks! It can be swift and shallow creating a perfect environment for turning broadside and wrapping your canoe around a rock. Just make sure that you bring ropes so you can line the canoe down river if you feel uncomfortable... Oh yeah, and dry bags . Totally doable with rookies if you take your time and do a little practicing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast