Thread: thawed meat question and help

Default thawed meat question and help

My freezer kicked off and a bunch of meat, steaks and hambergers meat thawed out but not to the point where it was spoiled, still had ice crystals, so we did the research and found out that the meat is edible but the taste and texture will change,

well we re wrapped and refroze everything the meat is good but the taste or texture of the meat has changed any ideas of what to do with it? thought about taking it to butcher and have sausuage or something made.

Looking to see if anyone else had this experience and what did you do to meat.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about that. I can't offer any ideas on the meat issue, but thought you might be interested in this.

My parents and I have started to install alarms systems that include a temperature sensor we can put in the freezer. You set the temperature range for it and if it gets too cold (freezer staying on too long for some reason) or too warm as in your case, the system will call you or others on a pre-set call list and alert them. It is a great way to prevent things from having a chance to thaw out. Figured it was worth it when you look at the value of the meat in the freezer.

Default Can't confirm that . . .

In all seriousness, we have thawed and refrozen meat once or twice—poultry, fish, and red meat—countless times and never, ever noticed the slightest change in taste or texture.

That's our experience . .

I have had the same thing happen to me 2 times in the past years. I've also talked with a few experienced butchers and they told me that if you process the meat down to the next stage and re-freeze it you will have a better quality meat than just refreeze it as is. Example, if you have it as roasts, cut it down to steaks and refreeze it. Steaks to Hamburger or Sausage. It worked for me. I also like to can/jar meat as well which you just can't go wrong with that. Due to this process, I always process most of my meat as roasts. An old timer in Texas gave me that pointer many years ago. Takes less room in the freezer and I can cut it to steaks or what ever when I am ready to use it. The alarm is a good idea as well as a lighted plug on your freezer that you can see when ever someone passed by it. Also, if you don't do that, I recommend you thaw your meat in a sealed plastic bag or leave in vacuum sealed bag while placed in cold water to keep temp even on the thaw and use before it sits soaked in its blood. Do the same with fish. One more thing, check your home owners insurance. I have a stipulation on my insurannce that the contents of my freezers are insured. They max out at 500 each freezer which does not cover the cost by any means but it helps when it does happen and its only a few bucks a year for my policy, USAA.

When in doubt season the heck out of it! Off flavor burger makes great chili, tacos or burritos. Steaks make great fajitas or stews. If anyone complains add more garlic!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Lightbulb

One more suggestion:

If there is any off-taste to the partially-thawed and refrozen meat, it is almost certainly within the first 1/16th inch or so of the meat. When thawed for use, merely skim off a thin layer all around with a very sharp knife.

Actually, I do this with any salmon in the freezer over, say, three months or so. Freezer burn happens from the outside in, deeper and deeper as it progresses. When I thaw older salmon for use, I use a very sharp fillet knife to skim off a 1/16th or so layer of meat from the top and a like amount off each edge.

Year-old salmon tastes as fresh as the day it was caught with this method. We vacuum-seal and freeze our salmon. Nevertheless, I fancy I can taste the slightest hint of freezer burn and use the above to insure I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    When in doubt season the heck out of it! Off flavor burger makes great chili, tacos or burritos. Steaks make great fajitas or stews. If anyone complains add more garlic!
    True love the Garlic, thanks to all, didnt know that about trimming freezer burt stuff off.

This is a tough one to give advise on as the potential for someone getting sick exists...

having said that.. oh yea.. re freeze it.. done it many times. With rib eye steaks I actually think it's a good idea.. the more you abuse them the better they taste.

I ha an entire freezer thaw.. to the point you speak of.. ate it all...re froze it. some was refrozen over a year.. and the dog loved the fact we had to trim a bit.. but still ate all the red meat..

some folks are ultra sensitive about this type of stuff.. I really don't see a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Year-old salmon tastes as fresh as the day it was caught with this method. We vacuum-seal and freeze our salmon. Nevertheless, I fancy I can taste the slightest hint of freezer burn and use the above to insure I don't have to.
    Actually I do the same thing as you cutting off freezer burn. But I'll have to disagree with the year old salmon still tasting the same. To me it's still yummy, but never tastes quite the same once it's frozen....even if only for a few days. IMO.....

To the OP.....you can do a lot of things with burger......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

most people dont realize that most often that nice steak in the resturant has been thawed and reforze more then once... as long as it has not spoiled it will be good to go again.. the only REAL noticable difference is that every time meat thaws.. more blood and moisture is lost from it.

make sure to drain the packages and re-seal them... or it will have ice around that meat..

i freeze large hunks each fall.. and thaw them through the winter for making sausage etc as i have time... makes it simple to process that way rather then spending a ton of time all at once doing it in the fall
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This might scare some unless you've worked in the food industry. That steak you ordered, probably spent days, unwrapped (or loosely wrapped-not airtight) with other food in the deep freeze. Thankfully eat kills stuff.

If the meat was vaccuum sealed, less to worry about. If temperature changes were from freezing (zero) to refrigerator temperature (40), I don't see a problem. I have taken out too much from the freezer for a gathering then returned the excess to freezer. Didn't notice a difference then or after using 2 yr old vaccuum sealed meat.

Fish and poultry are a different story and it might have something to do to there density being less then red meat.