Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.5x55

Default 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.5x55

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    [.....]Then you couple it with the fact that most cartridges are based on the same case heads, as many others. So what is the best case design, for all around use, accuracy and function?

I'm thinking, that, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a near perfect design.

Smitty of the North
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread... So Smitty, what makes the Creedmoor "near perfect" in your opinion, vs. say the 6.5x55? Is it the potential for a shorter action, or something else(?).
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

You must think AR's and not the Creedmoor matches of your time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm sure Elgin Gates would be proud you think his cartridge design near perfect; afterall it's only 30 years old ! BUT when it was designed the 7 IHMSA was the most popular of the series.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

When you shake the pot, the .260, Creedmoor or the Sweed really aren't much different for the average gun or shooter. Critters can't tell the difference for sure and all three are great rounds.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread... So Smitty, what makes the Creedmoor "near perfect" in your opinion, vs. say the 6.5x55? Is it the potential for a shorter action, or something else(?).
    It has everything.

Long neck, but still a short OAL. 06/308 size casehead, 30 shoulder, body taper relatively low pressure max. Modern cartridge chambered only in modern/strong rifles.

No compromises, except for those who need/want higher velocity.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah but other than the shoulder angle, which isn't so steep and I'm not sure makes any difference, the 260 has been doing the same things in factory rifles for 15 years. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Creedmoor, just talked to a guy I built one for today who claims it shoots really small groups at long ranges, but I'm fairly certain it isn't magic.

Like the other poster said, "shake the three in a bag and dump them out". That's about the level of difference I'm seeing. Isn't the Creedmoor basically a necked up 250 Savage"GASP" Ackley Improved?

I don't really buy the whole "modern cartridge" thing. When it comes to cartridges there's really nothing new under the sun any more, just variations on very old themes (don't get me started about Dakota duplicating the .30 Newton almost exactly, and claiming it a proprietary invention), and whatever the fad du jour is. Lately, the fad seems to be short and fat, not unlike our countries population. Meanwhile, a few tried and true cartridges which were long ago perfected, carry on, reliably performing as they always have. I'm confident they'll still be performing long after all the short fat shooters have passed on.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ical-shooters/

An article discussing the Creedmoor vs the 6.5x47 Lapua.

With the available powders and brass these days, I think the only difference that matters is whether you have a short or long action. I think the more interesting question is whether the Creedmoor is more popular than the 260 Rem. My 260 build was completed just before they came out with the Creedmoor so I didn't have to make the choice. From what I understand, the Creedmoor was designed for maximum performance using an AR-10 magazine overall length.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I don't really buy the whole "modern cartridge" thing. When it comes to cartridges there's really nothing new under the sun any more, just variations on very old themes ...
    I also love the "latest and greatest thing". All the new carttridges claim to be just as good as the old one but to do one thing better. But if the old carttridge, 6.5x55 was always good enough, then.... except to sell more guns .... I'll stick with the tried and true.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    I also love the "latest and greatest thing". All the new carttridges claim to be just as good as the old one but to do one thing better. But if the old carttridge, 6.5x55 was always good enough, then.... except to sell more guns .... I'll stick with the tried and true.
    I guess when you make a product with a lifespan of generations you've got to do something to generate sales... I wish they'd spend more time making better rifles than variants of brass powder bottles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The Creedmoor has a shorter body and longer neck compared to the 260, which allows heavier/longer bullets to be seated out of the powder space, yet the functional case capacity is about the same, since the longer bullets take up powder space in the 260.

I like a longer neck, and consider that an improvement. also, the sharper shoulder is spose to increase case life, so I have no objection to that either.

Working pressure is 58,000 psi, and less than the 60,000 psi for the 260 .

It doesn't matter to me that it's short enough to be chambered in an AR, as I think it is a great cartridge for BAs.

When I say, "modern", I mean "modern in the sense that it is a cartridge that is spec. ed for "Modern, as in, stronger actions.

The 260 is "Modern" too, but it is simply a necked down 308 or 7mm-08, or a necked up 243. The Creedmoor is a shortened version and a redesigned case.

I like it, but I'm a 7mm kind. Maybe, a 7mm Creedmoor will come along. Maybe not since 6.5 is a preferred caliber for match shooting.

I'm just saying that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a Near Perfect, "Design".

IMHO, of course. And, you knows how Humble I is.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I don't really buy the whole "modern cartridge" thing. When it comes to cartridges there's really nothing new under the sun any more, just variations on very old themes (don't get me started about Dakota duplicating the .30 Newton almost exactly, and claiming it a proprietary invention), and whatever the fad du jour is. Lately, the fad seems to be short and fat, not unlike our countries population. Meanwhile, a few tried and true cartridges which were long ago perfected, carry on, reliably performing as they always have. I'm confident they'll still be performing long after all the short fat shooters have passed on.
    The only exception here is the 6.5x55. I decided to go with the Creedmoor for my new project over the mauser because all the publishers are terrified to publish load data that uses that cartridge to it's fullest. Creedmoor actually comes with the load data printed on the box, and they are significantly under max pressure so there's some room to push it up a little. Also, it seems thatbrass and factory Creedmoor ammo is a bit cheaper than the 260 Remington. I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but the Creedmoor does have a few little conveniences.

Also, such a cool sounding name, cmon.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    The only exception here is the 6.5x55. I decided to go with the Creedmoor for my new project over the mauser because all the publishers are terrified to publish load data that uses that cartridge to it's fullest. Creedmoor actually comes with the load data printed on the box, and they are significantly under max pressure so there's some room to push it up a little. Also, it seems thatbrass and factory Creedmoor ammo is a bit cheaper than the 260 Remington. I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but the Creedmoor does have a few little conveniences.

Also, such a cool sounding name, cmon.
    True, it's got the cool name. And that might be enough to keep it from falling to the wayside, at least in this country, as the likes of the WSSM's and others are quickly doing. But, if I was to bet on which of the two carries on the longest, I'd still put my money on the Swede.

And regardless, I already have enough Lapua 6.5x55 brass to last me the rest of my life.

Every time I think I want to build a Creedmoor, I look at my Swedes and .260's and I can't figure out why I want to do it. Accuracy is certainly helped by a particlar cartridge and the bullet used but when you get right down to it...it's the barrel most of the time that does it for you.

I'm a strong advocate of the 7mm but the 6.5mm is coming on strong in my mind lately.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

True, it's got the cool name. And that might be enough to keep it from falling to the wayside, at least in this country, as the likes of the WSSM's and others are quickly doing. But, if I was to bet on which of the two carries on the longest, I'd still put my money on the Swede.

And regardless, I already have enough Lapua 6.5x55 brass to last me the rest of my life.
    Almost forgot, I'm building a short barrel Rem 700, in which case, the smaller the case, the less powder I'll be wasting. If I was going to put a 24 or 26" barrel on a rifle, the Swede would definitely be the way to go. With a short barrel, I hope to be able to burn all of the powder that the little Creedmoor case hold by the time it gets to the end.

What's your 6.5x55 rifle setup iofthetaiga? I'm curious.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    What's your 6.5x55 rifle setup iofthetaiga? I'm curious.
    I have a Ruger 77, and a Win M-70

I have 2 6.5x55 rifles that will put 5 shots touching at 100 yards if I do my part.

Good enuf for me.

On the other hand, I carry a 455 webley
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

It has everything.

Long neck, but still a short OAL. 06/308 size casehead, 30 shoulder, body taper relatively low pressure max. Modern cartridge chambered only in modern/strong rifles.

Smitty of the North
    This is also exactly what makes it a perfect fit for the AR10. The mag rules out the others quickly.

yes, the 260 works, but the Creedmore works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I have 2 6.5x55 rifles that will put 5 shots touching at 100 yards if I do my part.

Good enuf for me.

On the other hand, I carry a 455 webley
    Wow!! an uncut Webley...great find!

I don't have a Creedmoor to compare it with, but my .260 Armalite upper works just fine. Even with modified M1A/M14 mags. I do need to build a .338 Fed just to see how it works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Wow!! an uncut Webley...great find!

Im proud to say I have five of them. My grail is a set of Custer Bulldogs
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast