Thread: Lynx Trap Question

Default Lynx Trap Question

I am looking for some new lynx traps. I have a lot of tired Blake and Lamb #4 jumps and am now looking at either some MJ 600's or some MB 650's. Anyone use either one? Pros, cons, or am I going in the wrong direction. I have done as much research as I can on the Internet and calling the trap suppliers. Cost aside, which one is better? Anyone use them on any other critter?
    Thanks,
    Stay out of the overflow.

both are a waste of money for cat traps, but if you have money to throw away both will work. Cats are not hard fighters and you don't need an overbuilt trap to catch them. I know guys that catch them in 1 1/2 longsprings and hold them by the toes, I think your overthinking for a cat trap

I've got a couple dozen 650's for cats and they work great! If you are in wolverine area its worth using them. Besides that I really like #4 DL that are laminated and baseplated.

The best cat set in my opinion is a snare pen, get away from the footholds all together

There are a lot of coyotes in the area, so that is the reason for the big bertha trap. They can fight pretty good if givien a chance. I am creating cat sets, but I am doing it with the possibility of nailing a yote. I guess it's more of a personal thing between me and them (the coyotes). Good sugestion about snares Teacherman. Probably a 2x? How high off the ground? Thank you,
    Stay near the warm fire tonight

I like 1/16 snares. Got couple yotes today with them. Also had a twist out today with one. I go with this size because they are ideal for cat. Just coyotes id go 5/64. I like cam locs and micro locs. I set the loops about 11" off the ground. There cheap and you can set out tons. Plus they are not disabled with just couple inches of snow. Trail sets are a great way to go!

Like I said if you have money to throw away then yes they are a good trap but you can do the same with a cheaper trap for both cats and coyote, if your strictly targeting coyote ie. burying your traps than a 4 coil offset would be a better choice but for cats it's not needed. As for snares I use 1/16 cable with a grawes bullet lock and kill spring, they don't live long enough to fight. If you want to catch a coyote then make a coyote set, why would you want to take the chance of missing a cat by catching a coyote?? Coyote fur isn't worth much but a lynk is.