Thread: Torn fletchings

Default Torn fletchings

I keep ripping fletchings off. Always the same one on each arrow. I've glued them back on, but don't think that's the issue as it's the same one on every shaft. I'm thinking I'm knocking the arrows wrong. I'm shooting an older Darton, no idea what model as my uncle gave it to me. I put a Whisker Biscuit on it this past summer. I'm a right handed shooter, when knocked the cock vane sits on the left side, parallel to the ground. Any help guys?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I keep ripping fletchings off. Always the same one on each arrow. I've glued them back on, but don't think that's the issue as it's the same one on every shaft. I'm thinking I'm knocking the arrows wrong. I'm shooting an older Darton, no idea what model as my uncle gave it to me. I put a Whisker Biscuit on it this past summer. I'm a right handed shooter, when knocked the cock vane sits on the left side, parallel to the ground. Any help guys?
    Under spined arrows?

My advice would be to dump the whisker biscuit, they are hard on fletchings by design. Go with a simple fall away like a Rip-cord or Trophy hunter. They both offer a capture style rest and aren't all that expensive. You will get better arrow flight and they won't peel fletchings off.

If you want to stick with the rest, try re-aligning your vanes to another position (cock vane position doesn't matter with that rest). You may just have some "whiskers" that are too stiff.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's good advice AKmud. I've never used a Whisker Biscuit as I just dont care for the design. In my mind, fletchings should never rub/brush/impact any part of the bow.

what pound bow,what size arrows,draw length...what kind of nocks.....keep it simple flip the arrrow.... how are you glueing them on...what kind of glue....are you dabbing the ends with glue.... love to help you but need some more info..

62lbs, 28" draw, Easton xx75's-2315's, fletchings are whatever they have on them out of the box.

62lbs, 28" draw, Easton xx75's-2315's, fletchings are whatever they have on them out of the box.
    doest sound like a spline issue if anythig you are a little to stiff but that shouldnt tear off vanes... which way is your cock vane....also is your biscuit a solid tan color or tan and black... and is the whole in the biscuit about the same diameter as the arrow.... I guess a big question is do you like this rest

Bear asked a good question. Is the whisker biscuit two tone? Mine is two tone and the whiskers on the bottom are more coarse. They make them more coarse so that they don't wear out because this is where your arrow slides across and will eventually weaken the bristles because of friction. You cannot allow your fletching to pass through these darker colored bristles. It will tear away your fletching after one or two shots.

I have attached some photos of my whisker biscuit for reference. You may just need to spin the the knock of the arrow so that your cock vane is straight up. It would only matter if you have a two tone whisker biscuit. I hope this helps. ~907~
    IMG_2376.jpgIMG_2373.jpg

Yup, that's the one I'm shooting. Checked it just now and it doesn't look like they're passing thru the black section, although close. I'll turn them a tad. I looked at them a bit bore, the vanes weren't tearing at all, just peeling off. I re-glued them with a quick set 2 part epoxy last night and have a friend flying up to Anchorage today, I'll have her grab me a new set as well. I think if I just touch them with some light glue out of the box they'll hold up.

Yup, that's the one I'm shooting. Checked it just now and it doesn't look like they're passing thru the black section, although close. I'll turn them a tad. I looked at them a bit bore, the vanes weren't tearing at all, just peeling off. I re-glued them with a quick set 2 part epoxy last night and have a friend flying up to Anchorage today, I'll have her grab me a new set as well. I think if I just touch them with some light glue out of the box they'll hold up.
    When I first started fletching my own arrows I had issues with vanes falling off. My problem wasn't the same vane though, it was random vanes. I was using Fletchers Choice glue. Since then I have switched my glue to Goat Glue and have had much better luck. I have also started cleaning my arrows much better before applying the new vanes and glue.

The only other advise I can offer is to just make sure that the bow is tuned correctly. Make sure that the center of the whisker biscuit is perfectly aligned between your sight pins and string. Also, ask someone to watch you shoot a few arrows and see if they notice anywhere the fletching is hitting while you shoot. Good luck.

When glueing vanes the aluminum has to be very clean. If you look where the vane peeled off and the shaft is clean as in no part of vane it was more then Likely not clean. If all the glue is there and no part of the vane and the vane that fell off is clean the. You may need to clean vanes also prior to glueingas sometimes depending on vane there may be some residual separating oil from when the van was produced

I shot feathers for the first twenty years of my archery life.....after watching them matte down in a driving rain in AK I switched to vanes......I tried using my tried and true "Fletch Tite"....loved that stuff for feathers....plus it smelled good But, I had your issue,.....one trip by the time I got home, I had NO arrows with three full fletches on them. SO, get different glue.....good ol superglue works great, but don't over apply as the fumes can mess with the plastic. Now I have no more problems with fletchings falling off. I am almost certain it is your glue. No matter what I did to those shafts, acetone, alcohol, steel wool, soap blah blah blah blah.....plastic veins just didn't like my glue....and would fall off. So change your glue and move on to find your next frustration in this wonderful hobby.

Also heard good stuff of this goat glue....but never tried it.

I am always behind the Archery changes. Recurve bow and fiberglas arrows until 1980, finger tabs til 1994, aluminum arrows til 2008 but I still use feathers not vanes. Vanes are just UGLY. Water is the enemy of feathers so I cope as best as I can. After the day of rain, I dry them then spin them about 6" above a pot of boiling water, gently teasing them back to shape, then with a couple of spins, set them aside to dry.

Which brings me to the original post. My recurve rest was simple feather rest on the shelf, so the only fletching that did not touch the bow was the cock feather. Feathers gave and Vanes threw the arrow off course. Never tore fletching with feathers only vanes. Vanes need perfect clearance for best performance. My Mathews Drenelin and PSE X-Force both have drop away rest, carbon arrows and 3" feather fletching. A big difference from the 45# recurve lobbing glas arrows and Bear broadheads.