Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rabbit snaring

Default rabbit snaring

Do any of you guys use or have used the Yo Yo automatic fishing reels to aid in your rabbit snaring adventures? I was just wondering if they were any good.

Best thing in the world for snaring hares is a cheap piece of picture hanging wire. No fishing reel required.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

these yo yo reels attach to the picture hanging wire and keep a constant pressure on them from what i can see.

Aint necessary, by my experience.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

dont think you would need them as bunnys take a posative bound every tine them move i bet they just kinda throw them selves into a snare most the time but that thing would be sure it tightened i have never seen them untell you posted your question and looked them up and man thank you so much i make tip ups of all kinds for fishing for fun and that my friend will add alot of different ideas

Alaskanfever1,

Im not sure if your a kid, or a amature just clowning around.. But if you seriously need to ask how to snare a rabbit.. you have no business in the woods with a snare in your hand.. I read all 90 of your posts as you seem to be asking simple and basic trapping questions over and over.. and are bouncing all over the place.. I would suggest you visit the local trapper supply store in Wasilla, secondly, join the Alaska trappers association, third.. I'd put down the traps, snares, tip ups and all the crazy ideas you have and educate yourself, find a trapper willing to let you tag along... Google information..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Those yo-yo's are best left for the catfishermen down south. Trust me I have tried them icefishing up here and was not impressed.
    The only problem I ever had snaring snowshoe hares was when an Eagle or other raptor made off with one of my hares Snare and all.
    I was using aone of thompsons snares with the treelock and it ripped it off of the thumb sized Alder it was attached too leaving a little blood and a bunch of wing marks in the snow.
    So my best advice is to try and set them so they are not highly visible by eagles,owls,and other flying predators.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hoytguy Im not sure if your a fellow trapper that had a stick shoved up your... but i think you need to read the question i asked. I did not ask how to snare a rabbit. I asked has anybody tried the yo yo reels for rabbit snaring and how effective they are. I have just as much right as you do to be walking around in the woods. The only thing i have trapped before i moved to Alaska is coons and rats. I ask basic questions so incompetent people as yourself can read it clearly and understand what i am asking so i can get a answer for my question. My questions have bounced around all over the place because i am trapping a variety of different animals this year that i have not trapped before. Oh i have visited the local trapper supply store in Wasilla multiple times. And i am a member of the Alaska Trappers Association. Third i find that what i have learned is working so far to catch the animals i am targeting this year. I would suggest you change the arrogant way you speak to others and if anything encourage people to go out in the woods. My experience has been the best learning experience is from trial and error. My questions are speeding up my learning process so i dont make as many errors which leads to more fur in my shed. oh i am not a kid but thanks for you opinions. Next time you want to try and insult me, or any others send me or them a personal message.

How many responses did you get from people using yo yo reels?

I was able to receive enough input on the reels to decide for myself if i was going to explore going that route or not for rabbits.

Here is one of your posts from back in Sept.. the 10th I believe:

I live in Wasilla and i would be interested in hooking up with somebody who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes of trapping. My wife said i need to find a partner because she thinks i don't know how to trap very well. She said that after i caught somebody's cat. So i didn't get to do any trapping last winter after that incident. But New year coming up for trapping and would be interested in hooking up with somebody who can help. I have a few traps and snares and interested in playing in the woods to catch some furry critters.

See, even your wife thinks you dont know how to trap.. I was going to just leave my origional post, and walk away.. But since you called me arrogant for giving you some simple advice, I figured i'd do some digging.. You see trappers dont just go play in the woods.. its not a game.. the steel we lay or hang kills things, specific animals need to be targeted, and dispatched as quicly and humanely as possible.. I myself as a trapper, dont go around playing in the woods throwing snares and legholds hoping some furry critters step in them.. its a art.. Didn't mean to insult ya..

I dont know about all that but I did snare rabbits once with Yo Yo Ma. Boy, those cello strings really work well...

LOL, forgot my point...that is....I agree with Iofthetaiga...picture hanging wire with a slip loop works fine enough that there is no reason for anything else, IMO...

two days ago i noticed you yourself were talking to somebody and lecturing them on how you should be polite to others. Hypocrites like yourself hoytguy. My wife never said i didn't know how to trap or else i wouldn't have caught somebody's cat. Hell we dont even want to know what your wife says about you. Plus you can not tell me that in your trapping career however long it may be that you have not caught a domestic animal. Trapping may be a bit of an art but it is a whole lot of luck. And i would rather be lucky than good. And you were not giving advice you were poking fun just like you keep on trying now. I rate my success of trapping on my experiences in the outdoors not just the animals i trapped and killed. An animal in my trap is just a bonus or a gift given to me.

Hoyt if you forgot what you said let me repost what you posted 2 days ago.

Legitimate or not, especially as a first response to a member who shared, it sure didn't sound very polite. And doesn't it seem pretty legitimate to expect politeness from/to others, at least at first?

Sorry to carp at ya.

Sounds to me like you dont know how to follow your own advice.

I copied your post in the looking for a trapping partner thread.. Forgive me, I dont know how to quote and insert... but I do know how to copy and paste.. Catching a cat or dog here and their in not the issue.. Look at all the threads you started, all are asking basic trapping questions.. things such as automatic fishing reels have no place on a trap line.. IMO.. Again, In My Opinion.. so I recommended to you to go to the trapper supply store, by the counter their are several books.. they show great sets.. How to make them, lures to use, sets that are all effective.. all tried and proven by life long alaskan trappers..

Luck would be putting a number 2 coil and placing it in the 50 yard line of a foot ball field and hoping a furry critter steps in it..

Skill is placing the same number 2 coil on a well run trail, with the pan put precisly in the spot that the next time the animal you are targeting walks through, the animals foot is (guided) to step directly on pan.. or guided so that its head is guided to go directly through the snare..See the difference? you dont learn this stuff over night.. Ive been trapping 30 years and still have a ton to learn.. I learn someting new everyday out on the line..

I caught a doberman last year in a fox snare.. I think it was Jan, and it was COLD>. and the nearest house was 4.3 miles away..

Default rabbit snaring

Maybe you should stick to tagging along with someone to learn the ropes.

That's your best bet to keep from getting your nuts in a ringer, or a yo-yo in this case.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Supporting Member

New trappers should be educated and encouraged or our ranks will keep dwindling. Why do you think us old timers insist on taking kids out trapping? Hoyt guy - how about offering to take AF1 along on your line and show him how you do it. I can remember a time not to distant when you stepped on my toes in my trapping area and I sure don't remember breaking bad on you. A little respect for fellow trappers (regardless of their experience level) goes a long ways. JMO!

I didn't know the hay flats adjacent to my back yard was your area.. I thought it was public ground, used by about a dozen different folks who make sets here and there.. and if I remember correctly, 2 years ago I set on top of one of your snares, after finding your note, I called you immediatly.. then moved and if I recall I've never seen you since. As my line is well away from yours, . I've yet to set a trap this year, havent had time..i plan to this weekend though.

Default say what?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Hoyt if you forgot what you said let me repost what you posted 2 days ago.

Legitimate or not, especially as a first response to a member who shared, it sure didn't sound very polite. And doesn't it seem pretty legitimate to expect politeness from/to others, at least at first?

Sorry to carp at ya.

Sounds to me like you dont know how to follow your own advice.
    Alaskanfever1, do you think you could provide a reference to where you grabbed those words from, that you say came from Hoytguy?

Sorry to ask you to look that up, but I'm pretty sure those are my words, not his. At least the words I bolded, above. Pretty sure I was responding to member Laker Taker in a thread somewhere on here not too long ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast