Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck jetboat recovery and anchor setting

Default Stuck jetboat recovery and anchor setting

Consider this predicament: Youíre single-handed, and stuck in shallow water. If the boat werenít stuck, the current would force it down a channel with even shallower water.

Nearby, off to the side, thereís water 2 feet deep moving at about 5 mph. The bottom of the 2-foot water is covered with round cobbles from golf ball to melon-size.

In this scenario, the opposite bank, beyond the 2-foot deep water is unreachable, because the water is too fast, and too deep.

Has anybody ever unstuck a boat by setting/burying an anchor under 2 feet of water in the kind of bottom described, and winching the boat toward the anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    Consider this predicament: Youíre single-handed, and stuck in shallow water. If the boat werenít stuck, the current would force it down a channel with even shallower water.

Nearby, off to the side, thereís water 2 feet deep moving at about 5 mph. The bottom of the 2-foot water is covered with round cobbles from golf ball to melon-size.

In this scenario, the opposite bank, beyond the 2-foot deep water is unreachable, because the water is too fast, and too deep.

Has anybody ever unstuck a boat by setting/burying an anchor under 2 feet of water in the kind of bottom described, and winching the boat toward the anchor?
    So are you stuck on the same bottom type?

is the distance to the other side of the river closer? how close?

is this a briaded river?

were you WOT before getting stuck?

do you have a Capstan winch or a barrel (drum) type winch?

any parachutes?

how long of rope/cable do you carry?

what type of anchor?

what type of self rescue equipment is on board?

Is this a real world case or something you think (might happen)

I know of one person that said he buried his anchor in sand and pulled to deeper water using a Capstan (Simpson winch)

With 600 feet of Amsteel and a Lewis winch and a snatch block to give me 8,000 pounds of pulling power no worries about getting unstuck anywhere.

I have buryed my anchor several times and winched (Simpson winch) to deeper water. Not one time single handed though, that would change things some.
    A couple times in sand and actually had to build dead man about 3ft down with driftwood around anchor to get it to hold, it is Richter anchor. I now carry 2 ea, 3ft 2"x2" boards so i am not scrounging for driftwood and they work really well.
    Only once in rock and it became a matter of pileing rock over the anchor in about 2ft of water, instead of trying to bury it, and yes it took alot of rocks! In the rock situation after getting to deeper water, I had to have my co-pilot hold the boat in place with motor while I unpiled rocks off the anchor, that was interesting to say the least.
    I have winched off trees on the bank too.
    I carry about 400ft of rope, e-tool, two very small but strong snatch blocks and with that little Simpson winch I am pretty confident that I can get unstuck without much trouble.
    I bought a 15ft parachute and tried it a couple of times, but without some modifications such as adding weights to the bottom and floats to the top, it has been unsuccesfull at recovery.
    As you can read from above, yes I am still figuring out/learning how to read the water. hahaha
    But having a ball learning!
    Mike
    Last edited by HCL; 11-15-2012 at 14:23. Reason: additions

I have the same set up as Mike and it works great I also got an achor used for pulling jeeps out of mud Mike had one and he was nice enought to explain how it all works so I got the same set up as him.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Snowwolfe,

My winch is not as strong. I have a portable winch (gas powered) rated for 4400 lbs of pulling force with a snatch block. If the boat were completely grounded, I have 4 pieces of PVC conduit to use as rollers or skids. But, with the boat in any amount of water, Iím pretty confident that 4400 lbs will be enough.

What Iím not sure about is being able to establish a secure anchor point in the direction the boat needs to go. It seems the ideal anchor point is beyond the deeper water you need to get to. But getting to that anchor point might be impractical because of 4 feet of water and a 6 mph current. So, if setting an anchor beyond where the boat needs to go is impractical, Iím trying to see if anchoring in the water right where the boat needs to go can be done reliably.

Do you have any insights on getting anchors set in such a difficult situation?

I forgot all about that thing. Smittybilt WASP Winch anchor, sure hope I dont forget it is in the storage compartment when I need it.
    Yes it works great for our size boats.

HCL,

It sounds like your experience with the rocky bottom under 2 feet of water is exactly what I was wondering about.

I had thought I might try to dig a trench (under the water), and set the anchor. I like your idea of piling on a mound of rocks to secure it.

So after building the rock pile, I would winch toward it until the boat is free and swings in the current downstream of the anchor. Next, I would start the boat engine so itís idling and ready. Then I would continue winching toward the anchor. Finally, I would loosen the anchor by continuing to winch (more vertically as I get closer) and, if necessary, removing rocks until the anchor begins to come loose. Then jump in the boat, pull the anchor aboard, and get to the helm before drifting too far.

How do you think this would have worked in your situation if you had been single-handed?

I don't carry anything because I never get stuck....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The current was strong enough that i dont think I could have done it by self? It was interesting with two people, I saw the bottom of the bow several times. haha
    I think the way you describe it could work, but as soon as you remove that one rock that causes everything to break free, I think things would probally happen too fast to get back on the boat and that could be really bad!

With your situation, or by myself, I think I would have untied the anchor line from the boat once in deeper water and beached the boat upsteam somewhere as close as i could and walk back to recover anchor and rope, without having to fight the current with boat attached.

Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    The current was strong enough that i dont think I could have done it by self? It was interesting with two people, I saw the bottom of the bow several times. haha
    I think the way you describe it could work, but as soon as you remove that one rock that causes everything to break free, I think things would probally happen too fast to get back on the boat and that could be really bad!

With your situation, or by myself, I think I would have untied the anchor line from the boat once in deeper water and beached the boat upsteam somewhere as close as i could and walk back to recover anchor and rope, without having to fight the current with boat attached.
    HCL,

Thanks for the good tips!

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    HCL,

It sounds like your experience with the rocky bottom under 2 feet of water is exactly what I was wondering about.

I had thought I might try to dig a trench (under the water), and set the anchor. I like your idea of piling on a mound of rocks to secure it.

So after building the rock pile, I would winch toward it until the boat is free and swings in the current downstream of the anchor. Next, I would start the boat engine so itís idling and ready. Then I would continue winching toward the anchor. Finally, I would loosen the anchor by continuing to winch (more vertically as I get closer) and, if necessary, removing rocks until the anchor begins to come loose. Then jump in the boat, pull the anchor aboard, and get to the helm before drifting too far.

How do you think this would have worked in your situation if you had been single-handed?

Sure is a whole easier with two people, but I have seen Mike (HCL) do it by himself before. As a matter of fact I have boated with Mike on several occasions were we have gotten stuck, and used the Simpson Winch to pull free: http://capstanropewinch.com/

Simpson Capstan hondawinch.jpg
    Using any length of rope with the capstan winch is a good thing. Attach a small pully http://www.westechrigging.com/ Pully.jpg and double the pulling power to 4000lbs; I've also seen Mike do it with a pully and having zero breakage.

Burying the anchor was something he told me about and after seeing him stick it on the Alexander river really sold me on the Simpson (capstan) winch.

The only advise I can really give you.
    Is every time you get stuck you'll learn a trick or two to getting unstuck.

Second is buy a non stretch rope like amsteel or spectra. I have over 800 feet of spectra 5/16 rope in my boat. You find it cheap on eBay.

Other than that its just the school of hard knocks....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

With that kind of river bottom its really tough to get any anchor to set good enough to use as a deadman. The longer your rope and scope the better chance to have it catch. Unlike others ( i wont mention any names) I do carry self rescue equipment on board when things go "not as planned".

One of my most important pieces of equipment is either a truck inner tube or a pack raft that I can use to get to the deep channel bank where there are things to rig to or can be used to float out for help if needed in an emergency.

I made my own version of the river anchor and it will dig in and hold in boulders unlike most other anchors. Its heavier but worth it when you need it to hold.

If I run the Yukon or any other predominately silty bottom river I carry a huge Danforth anchor that is an amazing dead man. Dont forget to attach a rope and float to the back side of it so you can retrieve it when you are done winching as it will be buried in the silt.

Handyman Jack, rope come-a-long and at least 300' of good rope are minimum tools to have on board. PIA to carry but when you need it .... its worth it.

HA! Can you say Knik River???

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    HA! Can you say Knik River???
    Originally Posted by akmike30
    You weren't stuck Mike, just temporarily immobile until Little D arrived.

The three scariest three words in jet boating, "I got this"
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

All the times I have had my jet boat stuck, the one thing that I needed and actually had was a back to use and get sore. I could always have used more. The time I used my electric winch, it did not work so well. Some times I wish I had a mechanical assist, but none were available. Another time I needed some mechanical assist a helicopter was used. No pulley or anchor required there. So, better safe than sorry and have all the anchoring stuff you can carry. The bigger the boat, the more it will take to unstick it. At least a come along, pulley to make a 3:1, anchor, shovel and a lot of rope.

Another land anchor that works well for recoveries...http://pullpal.com/

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Anyone know where I can buy a Simpson capstan winch in ANC or the valley?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast