Thread: Pintrest Fire Starter

Default Pintrest Fire Starter

I dont have a pintrest, but my roommate is all into it. She gets some cool stuff off of there. Check out this one
    http://pinterest.com/pin/245375879668026659/

It's an easy to carry fire starter for you sheep hunters. It's just a pure cotton round pad dipped in wax. I tried em out and they work GREAT! Maybe I will join pintrest for things like these??
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

That's been my 'secret' fire starter for years. I use cotton flannel gun patches soaked in paraffin. Keep a packet of those and a bunch of paraffin coated strike anywhere matches in the breast pocket of your base layer, and you'll always have 100% reliable fire starter on you, even after taking a swim.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

sounds like a great idea. I would replace the matches with a feral rod http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/F...erProducts.htm

That way you have a 100% chance to start a fire. I would hate for the sulfer to get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's been my 'secret' fire starter for years. I use cotton flannel gun patches soaked in paraffin. Keep a packet of those and a bunch of paraffin coated strike anywhere matches in the breast pocket of your base layer, and you'll always have 100% reliable fire starter on you, even after taking a swim.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Cotton ball with chapstick or vasaline lip balm and a swedish fire steel and BOOM you have fire.

Mix which ever treatment solution into the cotton ball (1/4 inch of the chapstick or a similar volume squirt of balm) and once mixed you fluff up the cotton ball by pulling it apart so that it gets lots of air. Just a few sparks and it sets off a serious fire for about two minutes.

There are many non-cotton pads and balls out there. They are synthetic and do not burn (thanks UL and CPS!). Some won't even catch fire when held into a candle flame. Make sure all fire starter materials are 100% cotton or paper.

As a kid I used to use paper towels soaked in left over canning parafin wax or candle wax scaps. Then I would cut them to size to fit in a "water proof" cigarette box. That and a bic was all I needed to set sage brush into a roaring fire in seconds.

Fill an egg carton, not the foam ones, with dryer lint and pour wax over that. Cheap, easy, fun for the kids, weighs next to nothing, great fire starter, and a good way to get rid of all that dryer lint.

Getting a fire started in sheep country is simple. Keeping it going with lack of fuel(wood) is the trick....

Anything that helps make a flame in a bad spell is all right with me.

I personally travle with 3 or 4 different ways to make a fire.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

When the chips are down I'll take Trioxane bars over anything,just a little spark will light em, they will burn and stay burning in rain wind or snow,they come in waterproof packs, lightweight inexpensive.
    positively the best firestarter I have ever seen.

You can also use the cotton swabs they put between you toes when you get a pedicure. The next time you get a pedicure ask them for the cotton strips. Take them home and soak them in wax for a great fire starter.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    You can also use the cotton swabs they put between you toes when you get a pedicure. The next time you get a pedicure ask them for the cotton strips. Take them home and soak them in wax for a great fire starter.

Randy
    BW50 - Pedicure!!!!!??????? Most of us don't roll that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    BW50 - Pedicure!!!!!??????? Most of us don't roll that way.
    I dropped in for a pedicure the other day, but some guy with a mullet was in line ahead of me and I didn't have enough time to wait.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

earwax and a qtip. always got them around.

Jaydog,

I don't have any idea what you mean by roll that way. I really did wonder who I would get a rise out of with that comment. Okay, talk to your girl friend about the toe strips and have her save them for for you.

Randy

I dropped in for a pedicure the other day, but some guy with a mullet was in line ahead of me and I didn't have enough time to wait.
    I got rid of my mullet in 1991, but I still get pedicures!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Most men have a ready supply of dry lint in their bellybutton and it is usually cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    earwax and a qtip. always got them around.

Coincidence or Irony?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Coincidence or Irony?
    Fate.

#Resist

The wax cotton pads are another version of the old standby - VCB. Vaseline Cotton Balls. They work as well with mineral oil soaked into them as well.

The wax items probably are not as sticky as VCBs though.