Thread: look out Alaska

Default look out Alaska

Hello all

I am coming to your fine State mid/late September to hunt Grizz/Moose and maybe Black Bear and Caribou if things go right.

This may not be the place to ask and forgive me if I overstep.

What a my chances (realistically) on the above game.

I don't know if I should say the units i am hunting, tell me if it's kocher to put that sort of detail here

Obviously I want to get the most out of my hunt (missing an arm and a leg that I used to pay for it might make it difficult )

I am starting out of Fairbanks and hunting somewhere South.

I have been hunting long enough to know that I could come home with nothing, but what do y'all think

Thanks from Down Under
    Last edited by ozhunter; 05-01-2007 at 19:08. Reason: spelling

I highly recommend you go to our ADF&G Web site to research the legal requirements that a non-resident must abide by to hunt in Alaska. Just Google ADF&G and it'll be the first one to pop-up. Best of luck!

Most hunters don't have any problems getting a moose/grizz combo, along with a nice blackie or caribou on their first trip up.

I suggest you throw in a sheep as well, if your hunt is a week or more in duration...

hey in the fall grizz are easy pickens as long as you don't mind paying $12-20k
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for that Whitetail1der, already up to my eyeballs in permits, forms and red tape, the aussie end is probably worse

Does anyone know much about coming into the US with a firearm (I have already applied for a permit through ATF&E) I have been told that getting through LAX can be hellsih at best

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    Does anyone know much about coming into the US with a firearm (I have already applied for a permit through ATF&E) I have been told that getting through LAX can be hellsih at best
    Man how times have changed, I walked through customs at LAX in '95 wearing a pair of cut-off camo pants a AC/DC T-shirt, a rice paddy hat from Korea, combat boots, smelling of Soju and carrying a plaque with a 30mm bullet from a A10 Warthog in it..... and didn't even get a sideways look from customs!

Good luck with that!

- Clint

I'm hearin' ya. Even to fly from oz to New Zealand with a "proper jump up bugger" is a marathon paper trail, might see if I can ring LAX and see just how bad it's gonna be.

What's the weather like as an average around Fairbanks in mid/late Sept.

Default Guide requirements

If you hunt griz and don't have a relative within the second degree of kindred from Alaska, you will be required to hire a guide. Quite spendy, that......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Fairbanks usually has pretty mild weather in mid-september, although every year is different. Cold mornings and nights. 50-60 in the day. It can start snowing around sept 20, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. All your hunting will likely be done by sept 25 anyways. It shouldn't be too rainy, mostly sunny with a few showers. Good luck.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    If you hunt griz and don't have a relative within the second degree of kindred from Alaska, you will be required to hire a guide. Quite spendy, that......

Yep. Unfortunately no one in my very twisted and gnarled family tree has ever been to Alaska to spread any of our DNA. I have a guide booked already

Here are the websites:

U.S./Canadian Border Patrol:

http://www.cbp.gov/

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Hey ozhunter, where are you in australia, I am an exchange student from SE alaska living about 1 hour north east of melbourne, and am enjoying it, I shot a few rabbits but am missing deer and bear hunting.

Hey there Hunterh13

I am at Bathurst, a couple of three hours West of Sydney in NSW

Hunter13 i sent you a PM...

What do you think of our patch of the Pacific? You struck a bad time with the fires in the Victorian high country and the drought. There are still quite a lot of Sambar deer in the high country though, if you can find someone to take you out.

Ya i really want to go out and kill a deer, my host parents have some friends who go so i might get too. I am up near the dandendong ranges so there should be a few deer up here, I am told.

Yeah, you never know your luck. .

I hope you are being treated well here. We are not as backward as some would have you believe.

I can't wait to go to Alaska in Sept. have heard lots of good stuff and am pulling at the bit to get there.