Thread: Bagged Me A Spammer Tonight

Default Bagged Me A Spammer Tonight

Reported my first spammer tonight! Man it felt good!

I have reported dozens of them and most are still there.Hard to tell if management is serious or not.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That's not really fair, since their registration page clearly shows they've shut down online member signups. This site has no wish to see new memberships curtailed.

Online registration has been disabled. Contact Icebear at register.aod@gmail.com to register. Sorry for the inconvenience; we are blocking spammers!

I'll give you that they haven't been completely successful in repelling all spam. But no one could. I'm not reticent to carp about this site to its mgmt, but I'm not ready to do so on this issue. I see them working very hard doing everything they can.

Just checked and today they did get them out of the Canoe forum threads. Good deal
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thank you LT and Mr Will, we are doing the best we can. There have been 1000s of spam post in the last few weeks. The ones that tag onto a existing thread, like the ones in the canoe are much harder to find. Keep reporting them and we will keep swatting them. Many of these accounts were setup months ago, so called sleeper accounts. Together we can keep our campsite trash free.

Thanks

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have reported dozens of them and most are still there.Hard to tell if management is serious or not.
    It is hard for most users to see what goes on behind the scenes here. I am usually on the forum by 4 am. Some days I delete between 30-40 spam accounts just by myself. In the past few days, people that I call the Neanderthals (Nethelands) group has been very active. I think I deleted a dozen of them yesterday alone. There were some major changes made to the forum in the past few days. BUT, there are still lurking accounts out there that will emerge from time to time as they try to post. Yesterday I did an active search of all activity or every post made and caught many Neanderthals but for some reason, they still appear even after doing such. Believe me, we will get them.

I forgot to give credit to Kingfisher. He is also on in the early hours, cleaning more than I am most of the time. I would like to see how many people we have banned in the past few weeks.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-15-2012 at 06:40.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Outstanding! Thanks for your work and vigilance.

I like this from Steve:

"Together we can keep our campsite trash free."

I have to give the moderators their dues. A couple years ago I toyed with starting my own forum. Had it running, got a few members then the spammers showed up. I would get literally 1000 spam accounts a day. Everything layer of membership verification I tried failed and being only one person I just couldn't keep up. You guys have a tough job keeping this place clean.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.