Thread: Kenai blacks out? bait recipes

Default Kenai blacks out? bait recipes

ok for the past several years i only had a couple grizzlies hitting my baits and still always got blacks last year it seemed like the season was a late starter and I was dealing with grizzlies every time we only saw one black. So I am looking ofr some different recipes and wanted to know if anyone had any hits on thier baits yet i plan on putting one out on saturday .One thing i am going to try is a bait called hog wild that a guy who is going to sell it turned me on to it is for hogs and it smells sweet. oh and if you are setting a bait take omeone young along we have to grow up some more hunters, thanks.

Default Soon I hope!!

Haven't seen any Black bears yet out my way in Kasilof but saw a few Brown bear tracks and that's about it for me. Heard a few guys are starting to see some action on their baits but they weren't sure as to what color bear they were dealing with. I'll be putting mine out this weekend also. I have a slow starting bait it doesn't seem to see any action till around the 10th of May or later. I just stick to the dog food and syrup and maybe a few doughnuts here and there with lots of anise and vanilla sprayed everywhere. Good luck and keep us posted on your bait and how well it works I'll try most things at least once.

My boys and I saw a real nice black bear on Sunday night down here on the penninsula. Definitly a doable bear if there had been more daylight. I think he would have been there for a day or so, as he seemed to be in the only slide not covered w/ snow. Had to go to work Monday morning or I would have been there early, it was a bummer to me yesterday morning.

Default Put bait out on Tuesday

We are in the refuge and just put bait out yesterday evening. My partner ended up getting a ton of popcorn and old baked goods from someone up in Anchorage--so we are using that, syrup, and anise right now. Will start mixing in some dog and/or horse feed when/if things pick up.

I have a buddy that makes beer and was wondering if anyone ever tried to use the grain/yeast renderings for bait. The stuff usually has tons of smell--actually pretty good--kinda like super strong bread almost. Any thoughts?

Will

Default Donuts

If you gan get them, Donuts. They love them so much.

I just picked up a bunch of Hostess goodies from the local bakery. My bait has been out for a week now on the Kenai refuge. No hits as of yet.

Default Out a Week on the Refuge?

JUST FYI--Not really any of my personal business, but I would be careful of wording--unless my reading of the regs are wrong, which my work requires that they are not. From my reading, bait can not be placed on the site until May 1st in the KWLR--i.e. this Tuesday. So if your in the refuge, and your bait has been out a week now, I wouldn't advertise it--you could be inviting issues.

Will
    Last edited by wildwill; 05-03-2007 at 12:00. Reason: All thumbs

My bait has been out for a week now on the Kenai refuge.
    Yep, no bait allowed out on KNWR until May 1. Turn yourself in.

I diddnt get to read the others posts but if you put fish in your barrel you are likley to get browns on your bait.

If you put fish in your barrel in the Kenai area (not sure if it's all of 15) you will also get a ticket (if you get caught).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I think using fish is a problem if you bait using the edible meat(fillets). Using the scraps is ok, or at least it's allright where I bait.

-Eric

In units 7 and 15 you're not allowed to use any fish parts. In the other units that allow baiting you can use parts of fish and game that are not required to be salvaged.

-Eric

Default beer grains

I am an avid brewer and thought that the spent grains would be good too. WRONG.... I watched a nice big boar come in, smell them then dump the bucket over and just rip it to pieces. It was a good time and got some good pictures, but man was there a big mess to clean up at the end of the season. As far as I could tell, the moose didn't even touch it.

Default bad beer

that must have been one of gregs batches of brew, i saw a guy bringin a blackie up the ramp yesterday

Default Chicken Grease

PM me if you need a source of chicken grease for your bait sites. I would assume it would be good bait, but may spoil?

Default try this bait

popcorn ! , they love the stuff, and its easy and lite to carry.
    GRIN