Thread: Funny River

Default Funny River

I have been looking over the regs and I know that the peninsula is pretty much all closed up untill June but it seems that Funny River is open from the bridge down to the Kenai River for fly fishing. Has anybody fished down there, how was it and what did you use. I got a new fly rod for my birthday and am dieing to get it out and try it on some water. Any information would be helpful or some other open areas around the Kenai, Soldotna Area that i can get into on Sunday.

pretty sure that funny river is closed until july 15th when the other trib mouths open up (i.e. slikok) as well. unfortunately, all flowing waters on the kenai are pretty much closed for trout until mid june. you could fish the kasilof for steelhead and the slight possibility of a real early king, but then you run into ethical issues by targeting runback steelies. but other than that, that's really it - unless the lakes open up before then. If you want to chuck some bait, I heard some fellas have been catching small lake trout up near Tustamena lake... doubt you'd have much luck flyfishing there though. good luck
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I'm checking on what you said and it seems to me that Funny River closes June 14- August 14 and is open the rest of the year. Except it is closed to King Fishing, and is closed on certain times about the mouth area to bank fishing and boat fishing between the markers at certain times here is a link to the regs it's on page 47. I would appreciate if you have a look see and have a different interpretation to them than me.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../07SCkenai.pdf