Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: A little help with the draw please

  1. #1

    Default A little help with the draw please

    Im moving up in a few weeks and a high school friend has informed me that the draw ends on 12/17. I will be living in the Palmer area.
    I will go nuckin futz if I have to set a big game season out! Not an option!!!
    I am a bow hunter by trade, but I'm a hunter first and foremost, so I don't care what I'm hunting with.
    I will be bringing a quad with me, so that's going to have to be my transportation for now.

    If you were me, and had to go hunting, but don't know where financially ypu'll be next season. AND have limited means of travel what would you do???

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    I would spend my year small game hunting, learning the regs and getting a feel for the way things work. Use the time to get your Bow certification and bear baiting class. Most new hunters here start with either Black Bear or Caribou and move onto other game from there. You will not qualify as a resident until you have physically lived in Alaska 365 days. The State has a high speed computer system, they use to proof the PFD applications and it has caught many folks trying to cheat on their residency. Save your boarding pass and airline ticket and get an Alaska DL as soon as you arrive.

    Welcome and enjoy

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    You need to have a hunting license to apply for permits. Are you prepared to buy a non resident license and permits?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Many new hunters choose to not go for the non-res permit due to costs. Also many don't know where to go.

    Solve both by offering to haul/pack/field-dress for any other ATV hunter and you'll solve both problems and likely make some good friends here. Of course this is just one of your many options.

  5. #5

    Default Re: A little help with the draw please

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    You need to have a hunting license to apply for permits. Are you prepared to buy a non resident license and permits?
    I currently have nonresident hunting licenses in Arizona, Utah, Nevada and California.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Member Rope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I am currently going through this myself. May I suggest calling the local AF&G office to where you will live. They will clear up all your questions and give you good suggestions. Good luck with your quest.

  7. #7

    Default Re: A little help with the draw please

    Thanks Rope.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    To be clear, you will not have to sit out the season if you don't have any drawing permits. The majority of our hunting in Alaska is done via general season harvest tickets (available over the counter). Granted, many of the road-accessible hunts for species in higher demand or areas with greater trophy quality are restricted by drawings, but you'll be able to easily hunt black bear, moose, and more with nothing more than a non-resident license, harvest tickets, and big game tags (the tags won't be necessary once you're a resident, but as others have noted, that won't begin until you're here for 365 days).

    There's no harm in applying, but not having a drawing permit is certainly not a show stopper.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    even as a non resident there are multible hunts available and being close to a year away save a little a month and there you go..

  10. #10

    Default Re: A little help with the draw please

    Very good to know Brian! I lived there 14 years ago. I may see if my friend wants to put in for something together.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Very good to know Brian! I lived there 14 years ago. I may see if my friend wants to put in for something together.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    pm me in the spring and I'll give ya a dozen places with a reasonably high chance at a blackie..all on the road and all easily accessable...all you have to do is listen to my advice.... blackies need to be thinned....

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    pm me in the spring and I'll give ya a dozen places with a reasonably high chance at a blackie..all on the road and all easily accessable...all you have to do is listen to my advice.... blackies need to be thinned....
    Pm coming your way I want in on the info as well....

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Pm coming your way I want in on the info as well....


    anytime...you just "borrow" that boat in bronco's avatar the bears will be a plenty...

    oh and make sure he fills it up first..

  14. #14

    Default Re: A little help with the draw please

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    pm me in the spring and I'll give ya a dozen places with a reasonably high chance at a blackie..all on the road and all easily accessable...all you have to do is listen to my advice.... blackies need to be thinned....
    Bear I'm a great listener when it come to hunting! Woman.... not so much!!!!

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Bear I'm a great listener when it come to hunting! Woman.... not so much!!!!

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    LOL I think a lot of us can agree on that statement.. Truth is I honestly do not mind helping new guys get started in the right direction but I really dont care to waste my time.. I have taken several newbies in the field and it has been a mostly positive experience.. It will be up to you as to what you do with any advice and I can assure you I was in your shoes once and any areas I share I have personally or been part of a critter being harvested..

  16. #16

    Default Re: A little help with the draw please

    The shoe is on the other foot for me! Most my life I've been the guy helping others! Love to take new people out and introduce the to salmon and steelhead! I've taken 4 kids out and got them their first buck and a few grown men their first bull elk with a bow!

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  17. #17
    Member HuntAK59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    The shoe is on the other foot for me! Most my life I've been the guy helping others! Love to take new people out and introduce the to salmon and steelhead! I've taken 4 kids out and got them their first buck and a few grown men their first bull elk with a bow!

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

    I'll go with you up here, if you take me for my first elk . hahahaha. JK Well, kind of. If I dont get a NM permit, then I'll do that But, seriously screw the costs; get a non resident license. I did it and don't regret one second of it. Just getting out to hunt for small game and varmints is worth the cost. I also burn 325 (I think thats what it was) on a blackie permit. I got my first black bear with a fellow forum member, and that was GREAT! Go big man.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

  18. #18

    Default Re: A little help with the draw please

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I'll go with you up here, if you take me for my first elk . hahahaha. JK Well, kind of. If I dont get a NM permit, then I'll do that But, seriously screw the costs; get a non resident license. I did it and don't regret one second of it. Just getting out to hunt for small game and varmints is worth the cost. I also burn 325 (I think thats what it was) on a blackie permit. I got my first black bear with a fellow forum member, and that was GREAT! Go big man.
    I will most defiantly be coming back down here elk hunting in a few years!!! And I certainly wouldn't mind bringing someone along!
    Yes I may buy a bear tag and either a moose or bou tag. Who am I kidding? I'm sure I will get both! I really need my bow cirt though! I haven't missed a bow season since I was 13!

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Member HuntAK59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I will most defiantly be coming back down here elk hunting in a few years!!! And I certainly wouldn't mind bringing someone along!
    Yes I may buy a bear tag and either a moose or bou tag. Who am I kidding? I'm sure I will get both! I really need my bow cirt though! I haven't missed a bow season since I was 13!

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Haha, I feel you. I love bow hunting as well. The cool thing up here is, is you can buy the most expensive tag (moose) and use it on any other animal that is worth lesser value (caribou, black bear, etc). So, just buy the moose tag and shoot what ever you'd like (in a legal area)
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Haha, I feel you. I love bow hunting as well. The cool thing up here is, is you can buy the most expensive tag (moose) and use it on any other animal that is worth lesser value (caribou, black bear, etc). So, just buy the moose tag and shoot what ever you'd like (in a legal area)
    shouldt you be out catchin a brown bear....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •