Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody gettin butts yet?

Default anybody gettin butts yet?

like to hear some news and pictures posted.

I don't have pictures, but the wife and I limited out this past Wednesday in Homer. The big one was 40#, and three smaller ones. All in all a good day of fishing, (which we all know is better than the best day of work).

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default whittier

buddy went to montegue for a couple days and only caught two. couple more weeks and it should pick up considerably. last year we didnt have a problem limiting out third week of may.

Halibut?? Oh yeah!!, been to busy chasing the Kings and waiting for ice to melt lately and forgot all about the flatheads. We'll see soon enough if their out in force here in Juneau.

I've got a Juneau to Petersburg run on the 17th... I'll let you know how the Frederick Sound Flatty Fishery is doing then...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sweet, Portage Bay/Island, I miss that hole out there.

Default Hanging new 225's

We're hanging new twin honda 225s this week and hope to be on the water and starting by the start of next week. I'll have to post some new pictures of the boat we completely upgraded.
    Marc Theiler

Montague last weekend.

Can't wait, heading out of seward may 12!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Out of Homer on Saturday---ONE THAT GOT AWAY!

We went out of Homer this past Saturday. Turned into quite a cluster, but fun day none the less--and one heck of a "the one that got away" story.

My buddy got a new used boat and we went out on its maiden voyage so to speak. He started playing with the trim tabs and scared the girls--and me--so we braught them back to the spit to walk/shop/hang out and we went on out to check everything out and fish a bit. It was my buddy, his dad and me. We started fishing over towards the islands and we catching itt-bitties one after another, then picked up a couple chicken sized in the 15lb range. I had just re-baited and set me rod off in the rod holder for a moment when the thing just went off. It was in the holder maybe 10 seconds when the rod pulled down with such force that it made a loud popping sound as it ripped the rod holder down towards the water--rod almost pulled out. Picked it up and line was steadily pulling off in big pulls. finally got it under control and and the long process of getting it to the surface to see what I had.

Lots of pulling up and then cranking down and was finally able to see it 20ft down--looked like a nice 50-60lb butt, but it kept getting bigger as it came closer to the surface. I yelled out, "nope looks more like an 80lb, no 100lb, no, OH SH**." It hits the surface, thrashing around, longer--maybe not by much--than I can reach. I was amazed first at the size of her mouth. She was at least 72" long, maybe a bit longer.

This is when things went wrong. This was the maiden voyage. It was to be a short spin around the bay and back. We just turned it into a short fishing trip on a whim. we were entirely unprepared. No gun, no harpoon, only a small hand gaff. About this time my buds father is yelling to get the camera but he instead grabs the gaf. He gafs it--on the back in the filet--and gets shook about for maybe 8 seconds before he falls back towards me with a bent gaf hook. In the process the line went around the gaf or screws holding the head on and cut the line. Fish free. No pictures. No fish. Just a story of the one that got away and lots of skeptisim from my other fishing buds.

I do not fish halibut that often, but enjoy it when I do. My largest before now was just shy of 150lbs, and it looked way-small in comparison. The 150lb wasn't the best eating either. After the excitement, we reflected that we should have took a couple photos and set her free. Hopefully the gaf doesn't kill her. She was huge, wish I had a picture, but she was a blast of excitement to catch. After that, I cannot immagine catching one of the true barn-door size butts. This one was just shy of my office door, and it kicked out "butt."

Will

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    ...After that, I cannot immagine catching one of the true barn-door size butts. This one was just shy of my office door, and it kicked out "butt."... the 150lb wasn't the best eating either...

Will
    I'm reluctant to admit it but I have caught a few barndoor sized Butt's. Usually catch them on late nights when I've had to much to drink.

Not very good eating either...

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I'm reluctant to admit it but I have caught a few barndoor sized Butt's. Usually catch them on late nights when I've had to much to drink.

See, THIS is where these simple threads get diverted...with FUNNY, FUNNY stuff like this! They wonder here at work what the heck I'm laughing at! "A
    Viking with too much time on his hands in Kuwait," I tell them gleefully, and they look at me oddly.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post

Remember to always wear protection....oh, wait a minute....I meant to post this in the pfd thread.......

Went out to Naked Island this past weekend in PWS. Caught some rock fish, but no butts! It should start improving!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Wildwill great story. I have been in that same boat as you where but it was when I went hunting. Man my blood is pumping. Can't wait to head out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The fish are coming into Seward, they were a little slow but there here. My first trip of the season is Sat and Sun, (still need to get the boat ready the boss went out on the Pursuit last sun and caught some nice ones, the biggest being just over 100. should be pickin up at Montague in a few weeks, no need to go that far right now.
    good luck all, I'll try to keep ya posted through the year!

-Ben

Cool Profish-n-sea Charters In Seward

Great Captains And Crew, Halibut Fishing Is Really Picking Up With Many 60-100lb Fish In The Past Week. Give Them A Call If Your Ready To Catch Some Nice Halibut!
    John Heron
    Chugiak, Ak

Default Stuck in Florida!

I'm reading this stuff and it's eating my heart out!

Here I am wasting away in high heat, sweating humidity and dodging smoke, while you guys are readying to hit the coolness of the deep blue and haul out its prizes.

Stick 'em!

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Pro Fish N Sea

is a good guy. family has been out with him many many times. Me personally three times. We have always caught big fish. My best still was with him 123 and 125#er back to back about ten minutes from after the first one was landed. He will move to find the fish. Not just sit there and wait. He is awesome. Learned a lot from him and now have my own boat. Good guy and can't go wrong. Although in the past he booked up way in advance for the summer days.

Weather has been too crappy out here to go out.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast