Thread: 15in barrel 30-06 loads

Default 15in barrel 30-06 loads

Hi,

Im thinking about developing a load for my tc encore 15in barrel 30-06.
    i know that velocity is drastically reduced due to barrel length, I only plan to use this out to 100 yds. And it's got to be more punch then my .44mag pistol

Should I maybe go with a heavy bullet? Like 200-220 grn to get the most out of it at short range.

I appreciate any recommendations you might have.

While not a 30-06, I have a Savage Striker in 308 that I load the 165 Sierra's in. I have taken caribou out to 250 yards. Why limit ourself to 100 yards. Your TC should be fine for longer rangers.

What kind of fps are you getting with the striker? I forget how long the barrel is on those. I shoot 165 Sierra hp in my rifle and I'd like to stock with it for the encore if it's not coming out at 30 carbine ballistics haha

The Striker also has a 15" barrel. When I get home I can look at my load data and let you know. I also carried the Striker as a sheep weapon as it fit in the pack real nice.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, great for sheep or real long walks. Thanks

Shoot Mike Bellum an email. http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
    Don't know what your intended quarry is but I would probably stick to 130grners and a fast powder.

Consider using BLC-2 powder, it's about the fastest powder available for all bullet weights in the 30-06. It's a ball powder and meters well too !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !