Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out foxed

Default Out foxed

i checked my couple traps this morning next to my house there has been huge amounts of fox tracks everyday it snowed last night i found one set of tracks wich leed to one of my cubby sets i used fish guts. he walked up to about 6ft and searched the area all the way to about 1ft of my trap it was all packed down in that area he just didnt find my trap or smelt me as he got closer hopefuly the new snow and time will hide it a lil better if so there was probly an inch of snow covering that set of tracks as well. i went to grab some coffee and have a window to the back yard and what looks like a den that we seen something dug out about 4 weeks ago on top of a nice sized hill that used to be a gravel pit and i be darned that thing was laying in there you could see him plain as day very red and full i can deffinatly shoot him from just behind the building other then the fact i dont know the property line on the back of the lot and have a jerk of a neighbor anyhow, so we will just hope he gets caught in a trap they are only 100 yards from his den. just thought id share my good slash bad luck!

Maybe you could try using a fox call on him.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Remember, if we could catch em all there would someday be none to catch! Perhaps Ole Red is not a fish lover and another type of bait may do the trick?
    Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

yep im going to use different bait weasels robed me of twenty peices of heiring in one set last nite has a well packed lil trail to it dont wanna rebait them every day. im going to get them or the one im going to place more in the hole and throw a 110 conibear over it hope it works. has any one used rat traps or mouse traps for weasels he looks a little big for a mouse trap but a rat trap would do i think?

rat traps work great for weasels. trout slayer i sent you a pm to.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i checked my couple traps this morning next to my house there has been huge amounts of fox tracks everyday it snowed last night i found one set of tracks wich leed to one of my cubby sets i used fish guts. he walked up to about 6ft and searched the area all the way to about 1ft of my trap it was all packed down in that area he just didnt find my trap or smelt me as he got closer hopefuly the new snow and time will hide it a lil better if so there was probly an inch of snow covering that set of tracks as well. i went to grab some coffee and have a window to the back yard and what looks like a den that we seen something dug out about 4 weeks ago on top of a nice sized hill that used to be a gravel pit and i be darned that thing was laying in there you could see him plain as day very red and full i can deffinatly shoot him from just behind the building other then the fact i dont know the property line on the back of the lot and have a jerk of a neighbor anyhow, so we will just hope he gets caught in a trap they are only 100 yards from his den. just thought id share my good slash bad luck!
    Try leaving the set as is, and place an empty avas box, small crate, or chopping block nearby. Foxes just love to get on higher ground to bettter look over a tempting bait setup. If you have chickens there, save the manure in a box or barrel, and keep your traps in it when not in use. The acid in that manure will remove the man smell . . . . . Always handlel the traps with gloved hands.

the fox has to be traveling from his den, to your set.. put up a snare.. 1/16" cable, 8' loop, 8" off the ground.. you will have him in the morning..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    the fox has to be traveling from his den, to your set.. put up a snare.. 1/16" cable, 8' loop, 8" off the ground.. you will have him in the morning..
    true i just hope someone else didnt get the lil guy last night cuz there are zero fresh fox tracks just a moose who had slept rite in the middle of my sets but yes thats what im going to do we have alot of the left over burnt fallen trees that the fox just walks under in only a few spots im going to litter the place in snares if hes around and dont get got by anyone else ill get him this year hopefuly soon its my time ive put out time and got crap this years going to be different

deffinately put some snares on his trail and u will catch him i caught my first one the other day just like that was so surprised how well it worked!

can't figure out how to upload the pic..hmm :/?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
    can't figure out how to upload the pic..hmm :/?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sting-Pictures
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Did you catch him yet? if ya need help and live in the valley, let me know.. I can bring 3 home made snares over, show you how to make one, set 2 and you set 1.. you keep the snares and the fox.. but have to post a pic on here when you catch him..

nope sure havent and still no fresh signs there is plenty of ppl close to have maybe caught him but something did set of one of my traps last night im sure it was a weasel but didnt get him bet it tosted him when went off and now i have a moose problem hes tearing every thing up pushing all the down trees and what not around all around so i do have a bunch of snares out rite now on his old trails and he just hasnt been about sence i put them out they should work i have them in great spots and you cant realy see them against the pine branches and i have also changed my bait to liquid muskrat if it dont work im throwing it away its about 8 years old and stinky as all hell makes me bout puke on my set but i could smell it when i went out this morning so i know its in the air well now if i can smell it but yep one day hoytguy if he keeps comeing around and i dont get him maybe we will have to get together one day

That is the longest run on sentence I ever read.. I had to read it twice.... LOL, good luck, and if ya need help, you know where to find me.

i must say that even though im pretty younge i have no problem saying im very computor illiterate and cant spell worth a crap so to all of you that put an effor into reading my jibberish thank you!

Today when I checked I had the moose in a number 3 duke. He was hung up by his hoof and acted like he couldnt get away. I grabed a nice sized stick and threw it at him, you could soon see he wasnt stuck. Dumb moose. I think im going to have to give up on my spot if he is not going to stay away. To bad it's not moose season, he's a big guy.

keep it up trout slayer, you'll get him. By the way I am proud to see a young person getting out and enjoying such a time honored sport and what you call jiberish, I call entertaining. You keep writing and I'll keep reading. Good luck to ya.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

still have not got that little guy but still trying. i set up a bait pile and have used all my old freezer meets that were no good and some fish from my ice fishing well all but the fillets and has worked well to a point. he has been in it 6 times now each time pushing a snare out of the way as he goes in. the pile is set in a 3 by 3 by 3 foot triangle about 3 feet high from naturaly fallen trees that i sealed up with 3 entrances and a snare on each with what i thought was no room to sneak around or see them. two nights ago he went in and grabed a whole rack of pork ribs and went out through a snare and you could see he walked through it and looked like he caught his hind foot as it was down to a 2 inch loop and drug out to were it fell off. the same night i had 2 other weasle sets destroyd by him and another by a wolf the same night wich was just as the wind was stoping here. i am useing 3/16 aircraft cable style with locks from sportsmans and died them.is that to thick maybe 3/32? i was wonder as well about thought on rebar tie wire are there nice ways to make snares from it?

Supporting Member

If you are primarily after that fox, switch to 1x19x1/16" snares. Lighter the snare cable the better for fox. 8" loop about eight inches off the ground (measured to the bottom of your loop). Good luck!

the only problem i have with going smaller on my snares is that i have a wolf in the area. should i set up one entrance for the fox that the wolf cant get in and maybe on the otherside build up about 1.5 feet for them to have to step over to encourage the fox through the easy hole and the wolf into the taller entrance and snare each with the proper size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast