Thread: -20 below bag

Default -20 below bag

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good -20 below sleeping bag
    that is down and can compress rather small. I'm running the Irondog
    and space is limited.

go to alaska mountaineering and hiking, and look at a Western mountaineering -20 bag, use a older REI -20 bag is best bang for your bucks and super small but they stopped making it. so check ebay ect. but for the iron dog you have to have a tag or it won't PASS. but go down for the size and get vacuum bags at Wal Mart to help get it in the rear bag. If you are going to theIron Dog rookie meeting in december their is a lot of good info including for sleeping bags.

Ask your friends and see if you can find one to borrow for the race.

Wiggys Alaska on Old Seward, almost to Dimond.
    Mark has the bag you are looking for.
    BK

Hmm. Having a Wiggys Ultima Thule and an REI Expedition -20 down bag I can assure you the down bag is lighter and compresses smaller. I have nothing but praise for the Wiggys but small and light aren't it's strengths when comparing to down bags.

I don't own an Rei Bag, but we have 3 Wiggys bags. They stuff down to a football size, wash in a normal laundry washer at the house and can stay compressed for years with no loss of insulating qualities. Plus, they will still keep you warm even if the bags wet.
    BK

Plus, they will still keep you warm even if the bags wet.
    Times 2. I have a nice -40 down bag and yes its warm and light but I have had it wet and it will be a long cold day in the dark side of hell before I take it out in the elements again. Now it lives in the cabin and will never leave there.
    That said, I now own 2 Wiggys, the -60 and -80. I dont think its the bag of choice for the race, but you should look into some of the lighter models they have or some of the other options from REI, North Face, etc.
    Down bags in the winter here rank right up to tie at #1 with wearing cotton....my .02 cents.....

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I don't own an Rei Bag, but we have 3 Wiggys bags. They stuff down to a football size, wash in a normal laundry washer at the house and can stay compressed for years with no loss of insulating qualities. Plus, they will still keep you warm even if the bags wet.
    BK
    I also own 3 Wiggy's sleep systems Ultima Thule. I will never buy another type of bag again. I will be buying 2 more of the same when my youngest kids get a little older. They keep you warm when wet (personally tested more than once)
    -Caleb-

Most Iron Doggers are less concerned with the best bag argument and more concerned with rule compliance (-20 bag) in conjunction with small and light to pack. Most of the race sleds don't appear to be carrying anything because the racers have everything concealed. Some of the packing ideas are very clever. They've come a long way over the years. It's a race, not a camping trip.

"It's a race, not a camping trip."

It can also be a survival situation, which is why I recommend a Wiggys bag over others!

BK