Thread: Boat based hunt

Default Boat based hunt

Ok gang, I'm looking for suggestions for a guided boat based, or comfy remote camp, to take my dad and uncle on. Target species really doesn't matter, it's more about just spending some hunting time together. I owe them both for keeping me involved in the outdoors as a kid, and now I'm in a position to repay. I expect more than $3-$4kpp but can't afford $10pp.

Both are very mobile, but not capable of hiking over tundra, etc. Great guys, but would rather hang around camp, have a scotch and listen to guide stories.

I'm thinking black bear, would love grizzly, or some other type of big game.

Thank you!

Well, I guess I'll be the first to jump in here. I haven't done a "boat based hunt", but I have used a boat transporter for a deer hunt on Montague Island. I know there are some hunts like this around the state for deer, black bear, etc. You mentioned grizzly. That is a "brown" bear and would require a guide. I'm not an expert on hunting guides, but I have never heard of one guiding a bear hunt for $3-4k. You might have more luck in that price range for a transporter that just gets you around and then you do the hunt on your own.

I have looked into these guys and wanted to go for a few years, just never had the time. I've talked with them at our local Sportsmans Show and they seem like great folks.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

There you have options for deer or black bear.

The hunt I did on Montague was an unguided hunt. We had a boat drop us off at a public use cabin owned by the forest service. I think it cost us about $25 per night total. It sleeps 6 if you're friendly. 3 would be very roomy. The boat drop off and pick up was something like $2,000. Once we were there, we had the place to ourselves. We were there pretty early and had just a little luck with the deer. As it turns out a friend of mine was there a few weeks later (in November), after a bunch of snow had fallen. He was in a group of 6 that all got their limit (5 each) right on the beach.

Hope that helps.

I would second coffman cove...great outfit and has boats etc for getting around.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Actually, his dad wouldnt need a guide for brown bear, it falls in to the kindred rule, his uncle however would need one if he was to hunt browns. Get dad a brown tag and a black tag for your uncle and you are in business.

i would also recommend Coffman Cove. they have vehicles and boats fro transport. Not guided but you really don't need one there. I jsut realized that since they are Prince of Wales that non-residents need to enter the drawing for hunts starting in the fall of 2013. A guided brown/grizzly hunt will cost you more than your budget as well as moose and sheep. I know of a couple black bear guides that can get you out with that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Actually, his dad wouldnt need a guide for brown bear, it falls in to the kindred rule, his uncle however would need one if he was to hunt browns. Get dad a brown tag and a black tag for your uncle and you are in business.
    The information in his post says he's from Florida, so I assumed he's a non-resident.

there's several boat based hunts for spring black bear out of homer...googles your friend....seems like they may be better if you have limited mobility as most bears will be down closer to beach in spring. you'll most likely see bears everyday & can probably get some fishing in to.

There are several big charter boats out of Homer, Kodiak and even Seward that are running transporter services for deer hunters around Kodiak. There are several Charters based in Homer that can do you a spring black bear hunt right there in Kachemak Bay. You can probably find Transporters out of Valdez, Whittier and Cordova as well. I'd suggest you google up the chamber of commerce in each place and email them a request for a list of Charters in each place. I know Homer, Kodiak and Seward C of C's will usually mail you a current Visitors Guide.

I took my daughter out with these guys and can't say enough about them!!!! It was a black bear hunt in the evening and fishing for halibut in the morning. Would be a lot cheaper and you would have a blast. They aren't guides but transporters but you don't need a guide to hunt black bears on the coast line. We went out on the outer limits.

http://www.homerocean.com

Semper Fi and God Bless

Great pics, looks like a successful trip for father/daughter time, bears, fishing, and just enjoying the outdoors!

Everyone, thanks for the info. Sounds like boat-based black bear may be the trip. Going to start researching Homer Ocean Charters and Coffman Cove. Will most certainly Google for others, but have found recommendations from forum users to be spot on in the past, so I thought I'd start here. If anyone else has experience with Homer Ocean Charters, Coffman Cove, or similar, please post or PM.

We'll have 1 AK res with us, others are non-res.

Thanks again!

You can ask 6xleech, he and his daughter joined us on the hunt.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Boat based GUIDED hunt check www.gasandtime.com. First class small groups. No b.s!
    Good luck p.m if any questions

tboehm, can you tell me the cost and what it included? Did they skin and prep the bear for shipping for you? Where did you stay? Thanks! I'd like to take my two sons bear hunting

To reply I honestly can't say that I remember what they charged me. I'm thinking that it was somewhere in 1800 dollar range and they gave me a discount for my daughter.. They are transporters so you have to skin the animal but they will advise you if you need it. You live on the boat and it's one heck of a boat. There are 4 different sleeping cabins and a full shower and they can make their own fresh water. The capt ensured that it was a family friendly environment . We were feed like kings. I did a lot of research and found them to be one of more affordable outfits and they can rival any of the more expensive outfits. The only thing not included was your licenses and tipping for the mate. They have all of the contacts for helping you with caring for your trophy as well.
    Semper Fi and God Bless