Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one using Homemade Ice fishing Tents?

Default Any one using Homemade Ice fishing Tents?

I was just curios if any one on here was using any homemade portable Ice shantys/tents. A buddy and I are looking into building one for use when it gets really cold out. I was looking at maybe building something like this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLu_QkZ-H0 We want something we can take down and move around easy and that can either fit on top of or inside my Bronco (ful lsize). Neither one of us have much money and I already have a few sheets of plywood and I think I may have a tarp also.

Any ways I was curios if any one else on here is using a homemade shanty or tent, if you do could you post some pictures? I would love to get some more ideas.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    I was just curios if any one on here was using any homemade portable Ice shantys/tents. A buddy and I are looking into building one for use when it gets really cold out. I was looking at maybe building something like this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLu_QkZ-H0 We want something we can take down and move around easy and that can either fit on top of or inside my Bronco (ful lsize). Neither one of us have much money and I already have a few sheets of plywood and I think I may have a tarp also.

Any ways I was curios if any one else on here is using a homemade shanty or tent, if you do could you post some pictures? I would love to get some more ideas.
    I had built one almost identical to that when I lived in North Pole. Worked great, carried it on top of my Jeep.

I too have built one very similar to that about 20 yrs. ago. Used 5/8" T&G for the floor (I think cause we already had it laying around) and OSB for the ends. Also just used a hunk of PVC for the brace on the inside. It was heavy but it worked great as long as you didn't have to carry it very far. Some years later I saw some guys out on Walby lake that had built a sled out of some old skis and 2x4 frame that they used to haul their ice shanty on. Have thought about building another one If I ever get the time to do it but first I need to make room in the garage so the wife can park her vehicle inside this winter. I think nowdays with so many portable ice shanties prevalent it's quicker and cheaper to just buy one. But if you already have the material on hand and the time to do it I say go for it. There's something very satisfying about making it yourself.

Well, I have 3 sheets of older but still good plywood on the side of my house. Plus now that I think about it I have an old Chicken coop on the side as well that has 2x4s that are still good in that also. So all I really need is the tarp and some short screws (I have 3 inchers already), I also have a piece of Plywood thats been cut down that I could turn into strips for screw/clamping down the tarp on the ends and floor. O and Hinges, I need to get 6 hinges, 2 for each end piece and 2 for the door. I actually have a good sized piece of Plexiglass out in the garage too I could put a window in the door and on the other side if I wanted too.

I do like the idea of putting skis under it though, I was actually thinking about doing something like that also. It doesnt need to be big, but big enough to fit 3 or 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids (4-6 years old) inside. Later Im going to go outside and bring the plywood in before it gets to much snow on it. We already have an inch or two and its still snowing.

As for the holes in the floor, not sure how to do those just yet. Im thinking off to one side have a whole cut 10 inches to a foot wide and 6 feet long...OR I was thinking since I plano n having the floor 4x8 just making 4 holes every two feet roughly with covers to cover while pulling and loading it.

If you do plan on using skis try to find a pair of old water skis. Take the fin off the bottom and then ya have something a bit sturdier and a lot wider
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have a few sheets of plywood and a few 2x's left over from a recent project that I would be willing to donate to your ice house if you want. PM me if you're interested. I live in Palmer

On da lake I grew up on they use PVC pipe for skis angled up in the front. Like 6" pipe if I recall. Works great in da deep stuff.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I was thinking about making a bigger one this year than my Eskimo tent. I was thinking about making something like a 7x7 with plywood that I could just "connect together" without screws or nails. I am currently debating my design, but I was thinking it would be feasible, cheap, and relatively easy to transport. Put some insulation on the plywood, and cut a hole for a wood stove, and you could sleep in it I will post pictures if/when I ever figure it out and get one going.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    I was thinking about making a bigger one this year than my Eskimo tent. I was thinking about making something like a 7x7 with plywood that I could just "connect together" without screws or nails. I am currently debating my design, but I was thinking it would be feasible, cheap, and relatively easy to transport. Put some insulation on the plywood, and cut a hole for a wood stove, and you could sleep in it I will post pictures if/when I ever figure it out and get one going.
    Sounds like it would be pretty cool if you can work the details out. I seen some on youtube that were put together with hinges that folded in on themselves but Not quite like you described. Im sure its doable, just a matter of working out the details.

Sounds like it would be pretty cool if you can work the details out. I seen some on youtube that were put together with hinges that folded in on themselves but Not quite like you described. Im sure its doable, just a matter of working out the details.

I suppose I should check out Youtube and online a bit more. Thats what I was thinking, was hinging the corners together so that they could fold in, and then "latching" the roof on. I would want it bigger than the average pop up tent, so I would probably have to have some sort of connection in the middle of each wall connecting the two "L Pieces" (two pieces connected to form the corner). Its just a matter of figuring it out and actually doing it. Should be fun though

The tank top heater I have worries me when it gets really cold and I have it cranked. There was a point last year when it was -30 and I had it blaring (vents and door open) and I couldn't light a match or lighter because of lack of Oxygen. That scared me...

if any of you ding dongs are interested i got an old icefishing top you can have for free in decent shape. you staple or snap it to a sheet of plywood with skids on it and expand it up like a tent when you get on the ice. i lost the poles but you could fashing something up to make it work, just thought id offer it up before i haul to the dump.
    Semper Fi!

I've made a few icefishing shacks. Built my first ones back in Wyoming playing with the design. My most recent was when I moved up here in 2007.
    Floor consisted of 4'x6' OSB. I've made them with whole 4'x8' sheets, but had to go down to 6' long to fit in the back of my truck. Reinforced underneath with 2x2s. Cut three holes along one side to fish through. Painted the inside black.
    5' tall OSB walls connected with hinges at the bottom. Cut a door in one end. Tarp stretched between the two... black side in to minimize glare looking through the hole. I used two 7' sections of 1" conduit in the corners pinned from the insides to hold the shack open.
    I got some old beaters skis from REI no charge. At first I just put the skis on the bottom of the hut... that was standard practice in WY and worked well with the wind keeping snow blown off the ice. Ran into problems up here trying to pull it around through a foot of snow.
    So... I made a sled out of some scrap lumber and put the skis on the bottom of that. Holds the hut 18" off the ice/snow and pulled it around like that. Worked great... and I used it a lot for four seasons.
    Have to admit, though... finished product is heavy. Last season I broke down and got an Eskimo Fatfish 949. So my homemade number has likely seen it's last trip. But if you're on a budget you can make a useable shelter for pretty cheap and they certainly do the trick.

Good luck. Post pictures of your finished shack!
    Cheers,
    Rich

Pursue happiness with diligence.

Well, I have 3 sheets of older but still good plywood on the side of my house. Plus now that I think about it I have an old Chicken coop on the side as well that has 2x4s that are still good in that also. So all I really need is the tarp and some short screws (I have 3 inchers already), I also have a piece of Plywood thats been cut down that I could turn into strips for screw/clamping down the tarp on the ends and floor. O and Hinges, I need to get 6 hinges, 2 for each end piece and 2 for the door. I actually have a good sized piece of Plexiglass out in the garage too I could put a window in the door and on the other side if I wanted too.

I do like the idea of putting skis under it though, I was actually thinking about doing something like that also. It doesnt need to be big, but big enough to fit 3 or 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids (4-6 years old) inside. Later Im going to go outside and bring the plywood in before it gets to much snow on it. We already have an inch or two and its still snowing.

As for the holes in the floor, not sure how to do those just yet. Im thinking off to one side have a whole cut 10 inches to a foot wide and 6 feet long...OR I was thinking since I plano n having the floor 4x8 just making 4 holes every two feet roughly with covers to cover while pulling and loading it.
    Couple more thoughts... you can fit 3 people in a 4'x6' hut, but it's tight and if you're going to run a heater it's probably down to 2 people. Definitely better going with a 8' long hut if you've got means to transport it.

I've tried holes in the floor all along one side and staggered back and forth on different sides. I find it easier to put them all on one side. I usually cut about a 11"x15" hole in the floor or so for each person. Slightly larger than my 10" auger. I never bothered trying to cover the wholes. Never had a problem with snow coming up in the hut to make it worth the additional effort/weight.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for the advice guys, the more that I think about it the more I think all on one side would be best also. If it was just myself and my son I would most likely go for the 4x6 also, but I have a few buddys that most likely at least one of them would be coming along. Also I do plan on using some kind of heater in there. Not sure what kind yet though. I do have a little propane burner for cooking that I may use. I do have another friend though who will most likely be going out with us a lot who has a little buddy heater.

I like the little skid sled you made to pull yours on Wyo2AK, as for space though I think I will most likely attach them to the bottom of the Tent and try to keep it a low profile so I can put it in the Bronco or on top. Then again if I put it on top of the bronco I would have some space open in the back.

Greythorn I PM'd you.

Building is always more fun than buying. (That from a guy who's bought 5 and built 0). I keep forgetting until its already time to go fishing... I would only say make ease of setting up a priority or you won't want to move. I swear, one of these years I'm going full on "Grumpy Old Men"!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Building is always more fun than buying. (That from a guy who's bought 5 and built 0). I keep forgetting until its already time to go fishing... I would only say make ease of setting up a priority or you won't want to move. I swear, one of these years I'm going full on "Grumpy Old Men"!

HAHAHAHA! That movie always cracks me up.

We are trying to build it to where if we wanted to move from one lake to another it could be done fairly easy. I want it to where either two men can load it on top or to where I can roll the rear window down and have it hang out the back where I could load it myself. Would be nice if we can make it light enough to load it on top of the Bronco by myself without scratching the top up to much. I know a trucks a truck but this Bronco is in pretty good shape considering its age and want to keep it that way lol.

I know of several peninsula guys who have made this style shanty. Mostly for darkhouse pike spearing.
    Building a skid out of old ski's helps in towing it out before the ice is safe to drive on.
    The best tarp material I ever saw was a guy who used a form of concrete blanket material used under infloor heated slabs.
    it was five thin layers. a layer of thin plastic on each side two thin flexible foam material layers and a layer of foiled bubble wrap in the middle.
    It was so air tight and insulated he could have heated it with a candle.
    For pike spearing they just put one large hole in the center. With two guys they had one looking each way down the hole.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I havent read all of the responses to see if this has already been suggested, but you can build a collapsible pyramid tent very cheaply. We used them all the time on lake superior in my youth. You take four standard hinges, the kind with the strap on one side and the rectangle on the other.

imagesCA1WRTIV.jpg
    Bolt all four together in a square so that the four straps hang down. Then screw a 8 foot 2x2 to each hinge strap. Attached some material (blue tarp is the cheapest option but we always used canvas or waterproof fabric) along the outer edge of each 2x2. Position the entrance seam between two of the 2x2's. A canvas material with a zipper works really well. Make the fabric a foot or more longer than the 2x2's so you can pile snow on it to keep the tent stable in the wind.

The total size inside is about 6' high in the center and about 7'x7' inside roughly.

Here is a photo I found on the web that is similar:

images[2].jpg

Here is a link to a Yooper company that makes the fabric for them. They have a good photo and some specs on sizes, etc...

http://www.indiancountrysports.com/m...ng_TeePee1.pdf

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave....". What a great movie!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I havent read all of the responses to see if this has already been suggested, but you can build a collapsible pyramid tent very cheaply. We used them all the time on lake superior in my youth. You take four standard hinges, the kind with the strap on one side and the rectangle on the other.

imagesCA1WRTIV.jpg
    Bolt all four together in a square so that the four straps hang down. Then screw a 8 foot 2x2 to each hinge strap. Attached some material (blue tarp is the cheapest option but we always used canvas or waterproof fabric) along the outer edge of each 2x2. Position the entrance seam between two of the 2x2's. A canvas material with a zipper works really well. Make the fabric a foot or more longer than the 2x2's so you can pile snow on it to keep the tent stable in the wind.

The total size inside is about 6' high in the center and about 7'x7' inside roughly.

Here is a photo I found on the web that is similar:

images[2].jpg

Here is a link to a Yooper company that makes the fabric for them. They have a good photo and some specs on sizes, etc...

http://www.indiancountrysports.com/m...ng_TeePee1.pdf

that is pretty sweet, 7 x 7 is a good size and those don't look too heavy. They are about the same size as some of the pop ups that you can buy anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast