Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed

Default advice needed

i was thinking of a possibility of owning a boat to transport from homer to kodiak island frequently, i would like some advice on price, boat size, or if this is even possible. i am completley unfamillar with the area please do keep this in mind. Semper Fi.

I currently live on Kodiak and am in the process of finding a boat myself. I have a couple posts on here where people gave me their input on a thunderjet that I was looking at, this is a great place to get advice. It seems like most everyone on here has quality knowledge. Good luck.

i did not know there was housing on kodiak, is there a town? all i know is there are a lot of bear and deer haha. Semper Fi.

You REALLY need to do some research! Long way from Homer to Kodiak, let alone in a small boat. Big pond, very big pond........Good Luck

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've ran back and forth between Kodiak and Homer several times on a 43' Delta, powered with twin Cats. I think it was usually about an 8 hour trip in decent wx. We came back to Homer once on One Engine in nasty wx and that wasn't a fun trip. I know it can be done in a 30 ft boat that had twin Isuzu diesels. In any event, I'd never try it with out a good wx forecast.

well first you said transport between kodiak and homer, so are you thiking of trailering or actually driving back and forth? also what are you planning on doing with this boat, like live aboard, fishing, cruising, Extra long trips will all need to taken into account. This will have a lot to do with what type of boat you will want, how comfortable you want it to be and the extra amenaties you will want to add on.

From there you can start to looking at you options from size to power, and to functionality. There are a ton of options and the last thing you want to do is get a boat that does not meet your needs.

You can trailer a boat onto the state ferry from either Seward or Homer, to Kodiak. Is that what you had in mind?
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    You can trailer a boat onto the state ferry from either Seward or Homer, to Kodiak. Is that what you had in mind?
    I wasn't aware you could ferry from Seward to Kodiak...
    Tony

my understanding is the ferry no longer goes into seward. The tusty and Kenikott both run from kodiak to homer and wittier, but no on seward.

It's been a few years since I checked the ferry schedule. Thanks for clearing that up. Seward to The Rock was a darned long trip anyway...
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    You REALLY need to do some research! Long way from Homer to Kodiak, let alone in a small boat. Big pond, very big pond........Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I've ran back and forth between Kodiak and Homer several times on a 43' Delta, powered with twin Cats. I think it was usually about an 8 hour trip in decent wx. We came back to Homer once on One Engine in nasty wx and that wasn't a fun trip. I know it can be done in a 30 ft boat that had twin Isuzu diesels. In any event, I'd never try it with out a good wx forecast.
    These guys know what they're talking about
    as a long time Commercial Fisherman, listening to the weather forecasts for the area year round,
    take note,...
    the Barren Islands weather zone is one of the Most Intense areas of the entire state
    combined with the intense Tides that surge in and out of Cook Inlet, pouring through that area of transit between Homer and Kodiak

Well, simply said, take it Seriously,...can be done, but there's a Lot of Humility to be had doing that Ocean Zone

PS: inexperience with the area is ok, but what's your experience level with Operating Boats, reading Tidal Current tables,..stuff like that?
    that area has a Steep learning curve
    ask away here tho,
    It is an Amazing area you are considering, don't want to discourage you away from all that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

how many nautical miles is the trip pt to pt from homer harbor to kodiak harbor?

Off the top of my head it's 120 or so as the Ferry runs it

I usually do something extra like run down the Shelikof on the north side of Afognak, and shoot thru Raspberry Straits,
    just for fun, which adds a little to the run
    but depending on the weather you may have, that can be necessary, if you want to keep going anyway,

For a prospective trip I'd recommend a guy figure out a "More Protected Option, as well as the distance Straight Across

It doesn't add a lot, just another 20 miles or so as I remember it
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have run 191 miles (round trip) in my tiny boat in PWS in one day, but i don't think that I'd be taking her across the big water that far. If I had a 24 or 26 foot boat I would do it though (after appropriate planning).

on my boat right now, so I ran the numbers off the plotter

Approximate #'s here:

22 mi. - Homer spit to corner of the mainland (south Kenai Pen)
    30 mi. - Kenai Pen corner to the Barrens
    40 mi. - Barren Islands to Marmot Island
    32 mi. - Marmot Island to Kodiak Harbor

so 124 total, but I should mention most of it is running alongside land of some sort with protection available closeby

the Open Ocean stretch is really only 36 miles from the corner of the Kenai Peninsula thru the Barrens, and to Shuyak Island

So, if you were really working weather windows, it's not such a bad stretch to jet across there

PS: Really Pay Attention to the tides in that zone tho,
    Kennedy Entrance, the water all around the Barrens is a Formidable Tidal Current Area
    almost to the point of Not going during Strong Tide times of the month (without serious care anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    on my boat right now, so I ran the numbers off the plotter

Approximate #'s here:

22 mi. - Homer spit to corner of the mainland (south Kenai Pen)
    30 mi. - Kenai Pen corner to the Barrens
    40 mi. - Barren Islands to Marmot Island
    32 mi. - Marmot Island to Kodiak Harbor

so 124 total, but I should mention most of it is running alongside land of some sort with protection available closeby

the Open Ocean stretch is really only 36 miles from the corner of the Kenai Peninsula thru the Barrens, and to Shuyak Island

So, if you were really working weather windows, it's not such a bad stretch to jet across there

Kennedy Entrance, the water all around the Barrens is a Formidable Tidal Current Area
    almost to the point of Not going during Strong Tide times of the month (without serious care anyway)
    Thanks for info! Have thought about running to Kodiak if I ever got a B-bear permit and hunting from the boat. 124 miles is just slightly farther then an average daily one way fishing trip out of Valdez so barring wx, it sounds like a fun cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain;

[I
    Kennedy Entrance, the water all around the Barrens is a Formidable Tidal Current Area[/I]
    You Cannot emphasize the tides enough going through the Barrens. I tried going through there against the tide one time and
    with both diesels going full bore we were barely making way. If you can't plan your trip to run with the tide,I'd suggest you
    go around them

Thanks for asking the question. I have never really talked to anybody about the run to Kodiak, but always wondered. Sounds "doable" but not advisable unless you have a nice big boat and boat load of experience. None of which I have enough of. Good luck with your quest.

I'd sure not want anyone to be Dissuaded,..(if that's a word) from this trip

There are plenty of times I have done it on FLAT CALM seas, and the Barrens Shot is over quick
    Just watch the Weather and Tidal Currents more than you are used to

The north Shuyak Island and Afognak areas are such exotic country,...Not to be Missed for being overly cautious
    Just plan it well, be willing to wait,...

Here's a couple shots for ya
    Runnin' by the Barrens on a nice June evening,...and a Sunset to the North of the Barrens, right out in the middle

Then here's a shot of a North Afognak anchorage playground,....really cool country up there

Then way inside Raspberry Straits, (this is pointing North) it gets cool enough to justify the whole trip,...I think
    well worth the extra time to go that way, versus straight across

My wife wants us to make this trip one of these summers. I have been looking and thinking about it for a while and I think the best route (not the shortest by any means) would be to head of from Homer and head straight across to the mainland. Then we could follow the mainland down the coast (lots of places to hide) and eventually come across Raspberry Straits. Not too worried about the extra distance as I would have extra fuel with me for a trip like that and I would be spending a week or more doing it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast