Thread: Poachers.....

Default Poachers.....

I was fishing a lake in Anchorage with my boys. There were a group of folks that were just blatantly breaking the law. They had about 60 fish. They had so signs of slowing down either! Keeping everything. I asked them how many limits they were gonna keep, and they responded in a language I could not understand. But, when they ran out of bait, they tried to bum bait from me. They spoke pretty good english. they did not want to use my jigs though. Guess they wanted to hook all their fish though the butt hole instead of the lip. I got pissed, and called and reported it. The troopers were spread thin, but told me that they had many reports of this "group". They are on it. So....if you see this heinus abuse of our resource.....call this number...800-478-3377. If we do our part, our kids may still have fish to catch in Feruary and March.

Good on you for reporting them. Hardly the first time this kind of thing happens. Hopefully at some point the fines/punishment are heavy enough for people to take notice and actually change their behavior.

We're all paying for those fish to be stocked in the local lakes. A good reminder to be diligent and stand up for our resources.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Yes good job on turning these idiots in.
    If a person really needs a lot of fish why not just go dipnetting during the summer?
    There is no excuse for this! We can catch so much more than we will eat it is suprising. Between my wife,stepson,and I we can catch 30 landlocked Salmon and 15 rainbows per day.
    4 or 5 fish are all we really need for a meal. We often catch and release. Besides the fact we have a freezer with enough Halibut and Salmon to last us all winter.
    Although we do sometimes catch a few fish to give away to some elders in our area who just can't get out anymore.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes good job on turning these idiots in.
    If a person really needs a lot of fish why not just go dipnetting during the summer?
    There is no excuse for this! We can catch so much more than we will eat it is suprising. Between my wife,stepson,and I we can catch 30 landlocked Salmon and 15 rainbows per day.
    4 or 5 fish are all we really need for a meal. We often catch and release. Besides the fact we have a freezer with enough Halibut and Salmon to last us all winter.
    Although we do sometimes catch a few fish to give away to some elders in our area who just can't get out anymore.

While I dont support poaching, I for one am hurting because I COUDLNT afford to go dipnetting this year and don't have the 65 fish I could have gotten. And its definitely effecting my food bill. I couldn't afford the gas to drive around 300 miles, plus food and camping costs ect, be it to Kenai or to Copper River. Also since Fish Creek had such a bad return it was never opened so that was not an option. So Just "go dippnetting " isn't always a choice that can be made. Now I said all that to say that I do not support poaching, how ever I do know what its like to be hurting from not having the fish and to hear some one say "You should have gone Dipnetting" kinda irritates me because some times people don't or didn't have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    I was fishing a lake in Anchorage with my boys. There were a group of folks that were just blatantly breaking the law. They had about 60 fish. They had so signs of slowing down either! Keeping everything. I asked them how many limits they were gonna keep, and they responded in a language I could not understand. But, when they ran out of bait, they tried to bum bait from me. They spoke pretty good english. they did not want to use my jigs though. Guess they wanted to hook all their fish though the butt hole instead of the lip. I got pissed, and called and reported it. The troopers were spread thin, but told me that they had many reports of this "group". They are on it. So....if you see this heinus abuse of our resource.....call this number...800-478-3377. If we do our part, our kids may still have fish to catch in Feruary and March.
    Im glad you called them in, Our lakes and streams are already under a lot of fishing. Taking that many fish (And who knows how many times they have done this) puts a hurt on the lake!

boy i seen a group like this at the end of jewel lake one day all day long, heck they were there every time i ever stopped there this summer.. i couldnt tell if they were keeping them or not. i belive they were throwing cans of corn in the water to attract them.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    So, I posted about the poachers.....well I talked to the troopers, and the limit for land locked salmon is 10, and 5 for trout, so, thats like 15 fish. The folks I saw were probably in their limit. But, there is still abuse. And the littering issue. But, If you come on the internet and rant, you gotta play it both ways. I didn't know about the 10 fish limit. anyway.....stay warm, and post up pictures of all the man cubs slaying the fish!
    Good on ya.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    While I dont support poaching, I for one am hurting because I COUDLNT afford to go dipnetting this year and don't have the 65 fish I could have gotten. And its definitely effecting my food bill. I couldn't afford the gas to drive around 300 miles, plus food and camping costs ect, be it to Kenai or to Copper River. Also since Fish Creek had such a bad return it was never opened so that was not an option. So Just "go dippnetting " isn't always a choice that can be made. Now I said all that to say that I do not support poaching, how ever I do know what its like to be hurting from not having the fish and to hear some one say "You should have gone Dipnetting" kinda irritates me because some times people don't or didn't have that option.
    Rather than drag this thread way off or upset you topic I will keep most of my thoughts to myself.
    Suffice to say though we all choose our own destiny to a point. Some of us choose to live near good fishing or hunting areas.
    Some of us made career choices that have led us to good jobs that more than pay our bills.
    I don't know you or your situation but I would venture to guess that you could have worked out a way to get your dipnet fish.
    I am sure you could have found a forum member or a friend or neighbor to split the cost with you so you could go. The gas to go from the Matsu to Kenai or Kasilof split 2 or 3 ways isn't all that much. The Kasilof offers free camping on the beach.
    I am sure many a forum member would have loaned you a net or taken you with them in their boat.
    I have heard a few similiar excuses over the years as reason for a person to engage in illegal hunting/fishing activities.
    That reasoning kinda irritates me.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Rather than drag this thread way off or upset you topic I will keep most of my thoughts to myself.
    Suffice to say though we all choose our own destiny to a point. Some of us choose to live near good fishing or hunting areas.
    Some of us made career choices that have led us to good jobs that more than pay our bills.
    I don't know you or your situation but I would venture to guess that you could have worked out a way to get your dipnet fish.
    I am sure you could have found a forum member or a friend or neighbor to split the cost with you so you could go. The gas to go from the Matsu to Kenai or Kasilof split 2 or 3 ways isn't all that much. The Kasilof offers free camping on the beach.
    I am sure many a forum member would have loaned you a net or taken you with them in their boat.
    I have heard a few similiar excuses over the years as reason for a person to engage in illegal hunting/fishing activities.
    That reasoning kinda irritates me.
    Check your messages, im not going to argue over a thread.