Thread: Marten Trapping

Default Marten Trapping

Ok i was visiting with a fellow trapper that is trapping around where i am at. I think he was giving me a bunch of bull but i will ask here to verify. Ok so this guy says he does most of his trapping of Marten on the ground with number 1 jumps. I asked him if he had any problems with shrews and he said no. Do you guys trap more marten on the ground or on the side of a tree?

Default Marten Trapping

Are you in SE or are you up near or above Anchorage?

above anchorage

I don't know anybody that traps marten on the ground unless they use a tip-up, why take the chance?

not much marten experience, but any time I trap something and its on the ground a while, like a few days they eat some of the fur.

What he might be doing, though is checking traps every day or every 2 days and his martne will still be alive. as mine were that I caught in ermine traps
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Ground! I use a tip up as well, use a 16 penny nail and a small nail with no head for the tip up. I figured this out when I was getting more marten in cat sets than marten boxes. I just got a Marten Video from F&T that shows only trapping marten on the ground. Bob Noonan's "Marten Trapping DVD"

We trap most of our marten on the ground. But we do check our line every 2 to 3 days. We have a few pole sets and box sets out, but have never had as much success with that. The only issue you can have in your area, I have heard, is that you will catch more females in the ground sets. I have not seen this. 24 marten last year and 19 were males.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Well i may venture into the tip up this weekend with a couple #1's. We will see though i have alot of snares i need to get out still.

Default Marten Trapping

Grounds sets need to be checked every 2 days, or the Marten caught will be a snack for other animals. I use a lot of cubby sets and do very well, but I check every one to two days depending on weather and where I set. The other half of my traps, are 120s or 110s and I either use a coffee can or just do a simple pole set. Honestly, my coffee can sets probably catch better than any other set.

However, I grew up in south east and trapped for years, but now I have recently moved to anchorage, I have never trapped anything up north and would appreciate any advise as to where to find some marten up around anchorage. And I wood think you would want to do mostly pole or other off the ground sets up here. Any advise would really help me, I'm just looking to Do it as a hobby every now and then more than using trapping as my income source again.