Thread: New jigs

Default New jigs

As some of you may know from my posts on the saltwater fishing forum I have been making my own fishing jigs.
    I was primarily making saltwater jigs as well as various weights for fresh and saltwater.
    This is my first attempt at icefishing jigs.
    Yesterday I made some 1/16oz round heads with a barb for a curly tail.
    Also some 1/32 and 1/64 oz shad darter jigs.
    Seems odd to be making something this small.
    I got them all powder painted last night as well.
    The white is a glow white and the Orange is also a glow color. The yellow turned out more Orange than yellow. The new Chrome paint looks good though as does the pink. Overall I think they will work good.
    I am experimenting by adding a 3D eye on the front of the shad darters.
    They should do well on the rainbows and Kokanees (landlocked salmon in case Muttley reads this)
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    As some of you may know from my posts on the saltwater fishing forum I have been making my own fishing jigs.
    I was primarily making saltwater jigs as well as various weights for fresh and saltwater.
    This is my first attempt at icefishing jigs.
    Yesterday I made some 1/16oz round heads with a barb for a curly tail.
    Also some 1/32 and 1/64 oz shad darter jigs.
    Seems odd to be making something this small.
    I got them all powder painted last night as well.
    The white is a glow white and the Orange is also a glow color. The yellow turned out more Orange than yellow. The new Chrome paint looks good though as does the pink. Overall I think they will work good.
    I am experimenting by adding a 3D eye on the front of the shad darters.
    They should do well on the rainbows and Kokanees (landlocked salmon in case Muttley reads this)
    Nice work!!! Those jigs are going to catch some fish!

Nice jigs Chris!! Those will do the trick for sure.

Don't suppose you'd give a little overview of how the powder paint process works? Painting my own jigheads is something I've been curious to mess around with. Are those jig holders something you came up with or something commercially available?

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Not sure if this is how KasilofChrisn painted his jig heads, but growing up with my dad we would buy powder paint and unpainted jigs. Using a lighter we would heat up the jig head and then dip it in the powder. Simple and easy. Chris's do have a bit more glossy finish then I remember getting.

Great looking jigs by the way there kasilofchrisn! They look crappie, bluegill, perch, and walleye worthy!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The jig clamps I purchased through this site http://www.tj'stackle.com. I suppose you could make your own but they were cheap enough and nicely made.
    As far as powder painting goes I use a fluid bed,a heat gun,and a toaster oven.
    Build yourself a fluid bed by siliconing a small aquarium air valve into a 3" PVC end cap. Hook that up to an aquarium pump.
    For the paint cups buy some cheap PVC knock out caps and knock out the center. Use the remaining part of the test cap to attach your filter membrane to one end of a short piece of 3"PVC. You can use brown paper bag paper,Vaccum cleaner bag material,coffee filters etc. as filter material.
    Stick the short PVC piece into the end cap.
    The air goes into the end cap and through filter to fluidize the paint. The filter does not allow the paint through.
    I heat big jigs for Halibut in the toaster oven and small stuff like this over a heat gun. It needs to be ~325*f. Heat and then dip it quickly in the paint.
    You then need to cure the paint at ~325*f for 20 minutes or so.
    You can make smaller fluid beds or do as I do and add a 3"x2" PVC adapter and run 2" cups.
    You can buy paint from many sources. If you are only making a few jigs for your self the ProTec paints made by CSI are made for jigs and available from Sportsmans warehouse in some basic colors. They aren't cheap but work great and their basic colors are available locally.
    If you need more help send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Not sure if this is how KasilofChrisn painted his jig heads, but growing up with my dad we would buy powder paint and unpainted jigs. Using a lighter we would heat up the jig head and then dip it in the powder. Simple and easy. Chris's do have a bit more glossy finish then I remember getting.

Great looking jigs by the way there kasilofchrisn! They look crappie, bluegill, perch, and walleye worthy!
    Yes dipping heated jigs into the jar of paint and tapping off the excess on the jar rim works. A fluid bed gives you a much more even and thinner coat of paint though.
    I am often amazed how well those crappie jigs I buy will outfish a Swedish Pimple or other standard Alaska trout/kokanee jigs.
    I have actually pissed off people fishing next to me because I was outfishing them with the midwestern panfish jigs.
    Put a custom jigs and spins 1/64oz Shrimpo jig in your hand with a freshwater shrimp( common forage for trout in Alaska's lakes) and you will see why they work so well. They eat a lot of food the same size as these jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The jig clamps I purchased through this site http://www.tj'stackle.com. I suppose you could make your own but they were cheap enough and nicely made.
    As far as powder painting goes I use a fluid bed,a heat gun,and a toaster oven.
    Build yourself a fluid bed by siliconing a small aquarium air valve into a 3" PVC end cap. Hook that up to an aquarium pump.
    For the paint cups buy some cheap PVC knock out caps and knock out the center. Use the remaining part of the test cap to attach your filter membrane to one end of a short piece of 3"PVC. You can use brown paper bag paper,Vaccum cleaner bag material,coffee filters etc. as filter material.
    Stick the short PVC piece into the end cap.
    The air goes into the end cap and through filter to fluidize the paint. The filter does not allow the paint through.
    I heat big jigs for Halibut in the toaster oven and small stuff like this over a heat gun. It needs to be ~325*f. Heat and then dip it quickly in the paint.
    You then need to cure the paint at ~325*f for 20 minutes or so.
    You can make smaller fluid beds or do as I do and add a 3"x2" PVC adapter and run 2" cups.
    You can buy paint from many sources. If you are only making a few jigs for your self the ProTec paints made by CSI are made for jigs and available from Sportsmans warehouse in some basic colors. They aren't cheap but work great and their basic colors are available locally.
    If you need more help send me a PM.
    Thanks!!! I really appreciate the explanation. I think I get the gist of setting up the fluid bed. I'll have to take a shot at it sometime this winter when I have the time. May shoot you a PM at some point if I have questions once I get going.

Thanks again!
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default New jigs

Great looking jigs!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

If you click on the link I posted for the jig clamps you can find some good how-to videos basically explaining the different powder paint methods.
    Scroll down on the right side to lure making and click on how-to videos.
    If anyone ever wants to see the way I make and paint stuff first hand I live between Kenai and Soldotna and would be happy to show you how I do things.
    It really isn't all that hard to make stuff. It can get spendy as you add to your collection of jig molds,paints,and other lure making accessories.
    The basics are pretty cheap though to get started.
    I use a toaster oven from a garage sale and some of the stuff I had in the garage anyway. I find it is diffucult to just make/use a couple of jig styles so I have a lot of different molds. Not nearly as many on the smaller ice fishing sizes but a lot of halibut/rockfish sizes and a lot of different weight styles.
    I just never could get into fly tying or rod building. Making lead jigs and painting and finishing them is more fun for me.

The look great to me!!!!!!!!! Nice job!!!!!!!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

kasilofchrisn,
    Do you sell your jigs by chance, or do you just make them for personal use? I have never actually ice fished with a jig pole, just tip ups with bait. I'd like to get into it and get some stuff. I'd rather get some homemade ones like those rather then commercially made ones if your into that. Just curious anyway. Thanks. They look good too by the way.

Default Re: New jigs

Well I got some of them tested today.
    Caught some nice landlocked Salmon. Also caught a decent
    Rainbow that measured 20".

Man those are some nice looking fish! Great job on the jigs seems like they work good.

awesome job, always feels good to know that you put together a working fish cacthing lure

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    kasilofchrisn,
    Do you sell your jigs by chance, or do you just make them for personal use? I have never actually ice fished with a jig pole, just tip ups with bait. I'd like to get into it and get some stuff. I'd rather get some homemade ones like those rather then commercially made ones if your into that. Just curious anyway. Thanks. They look good too by the way.
    Sorry but I do not currently sell any of my jigs. I have been Known to give a few away to friends and forum members for testing and evaluation.
    I would recommend a trip to sportsmans warehouse to pick up some Custom Jigs and Spins jigs. Made in the good ole USA in Corravile Iowa. I recommend the Ratso,Shrimpo,Rat Finkee,and slender spoons. Do not be afraid of the small jigs as they are the closest to actual size of what the fish are eating anyway.
    Selling a few jigs might be ok but you have to watch yourself because if the tax man thinks you are running a business it requires a lot more than a person thinks.
    I wish I had more time as I would make some jigs to give away.

Thanks very much for the reccomendations on Jig's. I've been in there a few times but now that I got an idea what to look for I'll spend more time in that section. Keep up the good fishing!!!

Made some swim jigs the other day. I also made some 1/32oz round heads.
    I even tried my hand at making tear drops but I still gotta work on getting them painted right leaving the backs shiny. A bit of a pain with powder paints but I think I know how to do them now.
    I got some new colors in so now I have a glow green and glow blue. They don't glow nearly as bright as the orange and white though.