Thread: paxon and or summit lake

Default paxon and or summit lake

i am planing a trip and do not have a snow machine but a sidexside and was looking for advise on if either of these lakes can be ridden on with a sidexside?
    i want to ride across and spend the night on the other side of the lake and ice fish as well as try a little critter hunting.

any suggestions would be greatly helpful

I spent last Monday through Friday on Paxson Lake. I stayed in my camper at the BLM campground and had a fish camp set up on the lake. I was still trying to catch a caribou, and I hoped to catch some burbot while waiting for caribou to come out on the ice. We had been there the week before, too, but just for a day.

The ice is plenty thick enough, even for a car or truck now. The temps were brutally cold; -7 for a high and nearly -30 for lows. It was more a fight to stay thawed than it was a productive hunt. I saw four caribou come out on the ice and high-tail it across. They were definitely on a mission. Maybe they were headed to Florida.

After only a half hour of herring soaking on the bottom (during the day) in only a couple of feet of water under the ice, I caught a 7 to 9 lb laker. Not particularly fond of big laker meat, I threw him back. I never got another hit for the rest of the week, but I didn't have lines in the water during the night, either. I was busy trying to keep my rig thawed............

wow sounds mighty cold...lol

but can a side by side be driven on the lake or is the snow to deep? and i know the ice is deep enough but just not sure if i will need a snowmachine or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_grizz View Post
    wow sounds mighty cold...lol

but can a side by side be driven on the lake or is the snow to deep? and i know the ice is deep enough but just not sure if i will need a snowmachine or not...
    As of last Thursday evening the snow was only 2" to 3 deep on the ice, but I was using a snowmobile.

I was on Summit L last weekend...14" of ice and 4-5" of snow when i left sunday.