Thread: ALL hatchery fish MUST die.... a new twist

Default ALL hatchery fish MUST die.... a new twist

Sometimes they just have to die because it's the humane thing to to do. How could ANYONE possibly allow a creature to suffer with a hidden affliction ticking away internally like a time bomb.

Certainly NOT me....

Tumor - YouTube

Gonna try to get a bonafide tissue diagnosis in the next few days if I can convince my local pathologist to cooperate.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc,

I bet you a kwikfish it's cancer.....

Default Wildlife and disease . . .

I caught a silver once, casting at Centennial, and when it was cut open was totally infested, front to back, with white spots about the size of a match head. Very distressing . . don't know whether the fish was wild or raised in some hatchery.

Does anyone know whether mushy halibut syndrome is caused by hatchery fish?

I do know wild snowshoe rabbits get tumors . . the result of tularemia, I think.

Also, someone told me the wolves on the Kenai are mangy.

Disease happens . .

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Sometimes they just have to die because it's the humane thing to to do. How could ANYONE possibly allow a creature to suffer with a hidden affliction ticking away internally like a time bomb.

Certainly NOT me....

Tumor - YouTube

Gonna try to get a bonafide tissue diagnosis in the next few days if I can convince my local pathologist to cooperate.
    Hey Doc, does the term suffering imply the critter is in pain? Who's to say this fish was "suffering" at all? Just because a creature has a growth, doesn't mean it's suffering...if this fish was considered to be suffering because of a simple growth, then any salmon with parasites in it's gut must be in agony...should all those fish be eliminated also?

Wink

Hmmmmmmm . . what popped into my mind was the suffering, stress, wounding, and mortality willfully imposed on fish by the practice of catch-and-release.

Default Thumbs up to tcman for his diagnosis!

My ALL hatchery fish MUST die mantra really has nothing to do with the issue of parasites or unusual disease, just something I'm known for on our PNW forums. I was more interested in just sharing the video and interesting pathologic findings with the members here. I simply copied the entire post from Ifish.net.

In follow up, I did get a pathologist to section the tumor and his diagnosis was...

HIGH GRADE POORLY DIFFERENTIATED SARCOMA.
    Poss rhabdomyosarcoma, poss liposarcoma, poss malignant fibrohistiocytoma.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

No worries Doc, I was just pointing out that killing a creature for no other reason than it looks different doesn't seem logical. Should we also eliminate all creatures known to have warts, or just the ones that are born in captivity?

Thumbs up Out of its misery . . .

At least the poor fish wasn't made to suffer any longer . . .

Attachment 65450

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I caught a silver once, casting at Centennial, and when it was cut open was totally infested, front to back, with white spots about the size of a match head. Very distressing . . don't know whether the fish was wild or raised in some hatchery.

I do know wild snowshoe rabbits get tumors . . the result of tularemia, I think.

Disease happens . .
    Tularemia, or "Rabbit Fever", is usually manifested by small yellow spots on the liver, if I remember correctly . . . Caused by bacteris, it is both transmutable and transmittable by both animals and humans.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Tularemia, or "Rabbit Fever", is usually manifested by small yellow spots on the liver, if I remember correctly . . . Caused by bacteris, it is both transmutable and transmittable by both animals and humans.
    Growing up in Michigan, hunting with my dad as a boy, dad would never shoot a snowshoe until well after a hard frost, nor would dad shoot a rabbit that acted lethargic in any fashion. He warned me about spots on a rabbit's liver, saying that was an indication of tularemia, and once, upon finding a bunny with a tumor on one leg, told me that was caused by the disease as well.

Thanks . .

At least the poor fish wasn't made to suffer any longer . . .

Attachment 65450
    Vaavoooom!

Disease happens . .
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...sease_book.pdf

Look on page 40 & 41
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly