Thread: Kodiak Cryptochidism Buck

Default Kodiak Cryptochidism Buck

Just got back from a trip to Sitkinak Is. for deer and thought I'd post a quick report. I went down there 3 years ago and had a great hunt but more hunting pressure combined with last years tough winter made for a lot harder hunting this year. We saw many does, from which we took a few for meat, but only two bucks and we managed to get them both after tough stalks. Surprisingly, both the bucks ended up having Cryptochidism which is a common condition on the South end of Kodiak but one I've never heard of on Sitkinak. For those not familiar with Cryptochidism, the bucks grow malformed antlers which never lose their velvet and they don't have testicles, rendering them sterile. Other than that the bucks are fine and make for some pretty interesting trophies. Anyways, the hunt was great as is any hunt on Kodiak but I think Sitkinak Is. is gonna need a few years of recovery before it can be a great hunt again. Here's a picture of the buck I tookImageUploadedByTapatalk1352782089.745866.jpg

Weird. Do you know what causes it? Is it genetic? A virus? A vitamin deficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Weird. Do you know what causes it? Is it genetic? A virus? A vitamin deficiency?
    here is a bit I found on it...sure is interesting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874179/

That article pretty much sums it up. I had the pleasure of communicating with James Jacobson a few years ago. He guides (guided?) on Kodiak and has done a lot of research on the condition. I don't think they've found a exact cause yet but inbreeding probably has alot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    here is a bit I found on it...sure is interesting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874179/
    Very strange. It sounds like they are not entirely sure of the cause but that one of the leading explanations is a contaminant from eating kelp found on the south end of the island. Perhaps the hard winter made it worse, forcing the deer to move down to the shoreline and eat the kelp as a last resort. I would be interested to hear more about this if anyone knows any more.

Becoming more common. Seen one on the road system and shot one in kiluida.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Growing up working at a deer processing shop back home in GA, we'd see this same thing on white tails about 8-10 times a year. Now that would be 8-10 out of 1500-2000 deer a year but still pretty common. We'd also see doe's with antlers every year, maybe 2-3. When you spend that much time around any animal you see some weird things.

Alaska_Lanche and I saw a few on our bear hunt and he took this buck. One thing is for sure, they are FAT. I guess since they don't rut they just eat. That buck had 2 inches of fat on his rump and a fat layer all over. They call them "Buck Lights" on Kodiak.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Alaska_Lanche and I saw a few on our bear hunt and he took this buck. One thing is for sure, they are FAT. I guess since they don't rut they just eat. That buck had 2 inches of fat on his rump and a fat layer all over. They call them "Buck Lights" on Kodiak.
    Now that's weird........looks like he's trying to grow some bez.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

One of my hunting partners this year took one of these on Shuyak Islands in mid October. Heavy on the fat layer and very large in body. This is the first time in twelve years of hunting the island that we have come across this.

I've been told that the south end of the island has a higher percentage of these bucks. I didn't see any down there this year, but my hunting partner and I shot 3 back in '06. The year before, a buddy of mine and his kid killed a couple down on the south end, and his son's buck won the biggest buck (youth catagory) contest at Boondock's. I can't remember what it scored, but it was the biggest Sitka blacktail freek I've ever seen.

It's interesting that these bucks don't have testicles, and they are all big. Reminds me of a monster muley a guy killed in our hunting party when I was a kid. It was a massive 4 point and only had one nut. The estimated weight on the hoof was approx 350 lbs. So that none, (or one) testicle definitely seems to play a big part on how big an animal gets....

I have to wonder if anybody has ever killed a brownie with no nuts...???

btw........the big muley took 3rd place in the Vegas big buck contest that year. That spread of his 4 point rack was 41"
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's interesting that these bucks don't have testicles, and they are all big. Reminds me of a monster muley a guy killed in our hunting party when I was a kid. It was a massive 4 point and only had one nut. The estimated weight on the hoof was approx 350 lbs. So that none, (or one) testicle definitely seems to play a big part on how big an animal gets....

btw........the big muley took 3rd place in the Vegas big buck contest that year. That spread of his 4 point rack was 41"
    When you think about all the energy a Buck, or any other male for that matter burns up rutting, it is easy to see why they are all so fat. They just eat while the bucks chase the does and the does run from the bucks.

As far as package checking Brownies,,, well I will leave that for those braver than I..
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    When you think about all the energy a Buck, or any other male for that matter burns up rutting, it is easy to see why they are all so fat. They just eat while the bucks chase the does and the does run from the bucks.

hmmm sounds like marriage..

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Aren't they called sows?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353042688.177405.jpg

Here are two I have came seen recently, both northern Kodiak. They don't degrease like normal skulls either??? The one on left had 8 points a side. Double drop tines and another tine that wrapped all the way around behind the left antler. It is a cool skull.

Lastly they have testicles, they just never descend. If you look close enough inside the gut cavity they will be there but the size of a pea.

I have spoken to a vet and a doctor about this, guess it is pretty common as a variation. Apparently 1 in 100 human males will have this same issue, whew...