Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Win Mod 70 375 Alaskan

Default Brand new Win Mod 70 375 Alaskan

I'm a bowhunter at heart but I have money down on a new gun and can't wait till it get's here. Maybe Santa will stop by Winchester on his way up. So... out of a 25" barrel... 270TSX or 300TSX with R-15 or IMR4064? Oooh I might even shoot this thing with...open sights .

Reloader 15 and the 375 H&H go together like Peanut butter and Jelly.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    I'm a bowhunter at heart but I have money down on a new gun and can't wait till it get's here. Maybe Santa will stop by Winchester on his way up. So... out of a 25" barrel... 270TSX or 300TSX with R-15 or IMR4064? Oooh I might even shoot this thing with...open sights .
    say it aint so there bowhunter.... 300tsx will knock the snot out of superman... havent shot the powders you listed but would trust Stid on that one..

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Ugghhhh, stid; peanut or jelly! Peanut butter and jelly is just nasty!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes they do. Since you are advertising a long 25" barrel you might consider a full case of H-4350. It's a touch slower and may work well in the long tube. It's also in the extreme line and less affected by temp swings, just a thought.

I'd go with RL-15 and the 270gr TSX. IMR4064 doesn't hurt my feelings (I've shot a lot of it), but the 300-grainers don't excite me much. There's plenty of penetration with the 270s and I like the extra velocity.

I'd go with reloader 17 or mr 2000, they're slower than reloader 15, but faster than reloader 19. Perfect powder for the heavier bullet is yah ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Peanut butter and jelly is just nasty!

Dang, that there just ainít right! Now I need me some PB&J, creamy and grape!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'd go with reloader 17 or mr 2000, they're slower than reloader 15, but faster than reloader 19. Perfect powder for the heavier bullet is yah ask me.
    I have pet loads in about everything I shoot, but try as I may, in my 375 H&H R-17 just did not perform as well as R-15. YMMV
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Dang, that there just ainít right! Now I need me some PB&J, creamy and grape!
    Gack! Grape jelly is nasty, with or without peanut butter!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Here are some of my loads.

Founding Member

Nice groups, I just happen to have some 17 and a new Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. All I need is some dies and brass, i have a couple boxes of 270gr cor-lokt.

I have pet loads in about everything I shoot, but try as I may, in my 375 H&H R-17 just did not perform as well as R-15. YMMV
    Looking at the groups you shot with reloader 17, I honestly feel they were all acceptable, with good velocity to boot. Looks like the reloader 15 was optimal though.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Looking at the groups you shot with reloader 17, I honestly feel they were all acceptable, with good velocity to boot. Looks like the reloader 15 was optimal though.
    Yes Sir,, started loosing velocity, not quite as accurate and the recoil was STIFF. So I settled on 73.5 grain of R-15.

I do use the R-17 with the accubonds.
    Founding Member

Here are some of my loads.
    I have a big box of old targets with copious notes, as well. It's a good system, until I need to find something.......let the digging begin. ARGH!

I need to do some much needed follow up and start cataloging my data.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I have a big box of old targets with copious notes, as well. It's a good system, until I need to find something.......let the digging begin. ARGH!

I need to do some much needed follow up and start cataloging my data.
    I photograph all my targets and then print them out and attach them to the load data card. I keep all the photos in Caliber specif folders, it allows me to quickly look and compare them all at once and then pull the card for the load I want to use again.

Organization, has never been my best attribute. So this has been the best system for me, I'm a visual type guy.
    Founding Member

I photograph all my targets and then print them out and attach them to the load data card. I keep all the photos in Caliber specif folders, it allows me to quickly look and compare them all at once and then pull the card for the load I want to use again.

Organization, has never been my best attribute. So this has been the best system for me, I'm a visual type guy.
    Sounds pretty organized too me... Probably have it set up like monthly counseling packets... Lol

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    I'll bet you are excited & sounds like a nice new rifle. Hopefully a rifle you'll make your rounds with all over ALASKA & have around for a long time.

I run 20" barrels in Model 70 riflles so --- Won't go into any data on specific loads in terms of bullet, case, powder & primer selections. That said however, of all the Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H rifles I use or have experienced shooting over the years all 'preferred' 300 grain bullets driven in the area of 2530ish ft./sec. Nothing too hot or extravagant for certain, yet all have performed wonderfully effective in plain ol' softpoints and the Nosler Partition.

Not to poke fun at some of the groups others have exhibited... Tho' adequate enough, this would not satisfy me as an optimal recipe regarding fine accuracy in a confirmed good shooting .375 H&H rifle of any real accuracy record-keeping. I do not know the conditions, equipment, and kind of shooter day (good vs. not the best day out) so will not try to figure these variables.

What I will say is that a plain ol' box of Federal Power Shock will easily best all of the groups shown so far in this thread in all my rifles and same factory load does an admiral job in the field. I'd go about this much differently by purchasing 2-3 boxes of 300 grain & 270 grain Federal Power Shocks plus 1 box each of the Federal Premium loads in 300 grain Nosler Partition, 260 grain Nosler Accubonds, Barns, Trophy-bonded, Woodleigh loads, etc. There is also the HE stuff to see what more gas will do.

Reasoning on going down Federal Ammunition factory lane:
    a.) They make good shooting, reliable ammunition in just about all variety... blue box still on the affordable side.
    b.) A 25" barrel is nothing I'd define as 'Alaskan' in .375 H&H for so much of Alaska... so your rifle will be somewhat unique.
    c.) Out of all things my Winchesters do not seam to care for in terms of accuracy is down-loading or dialing up really hot loads.
    d.) TSX have rarely (if ever) performed as well for me accuracy-wise on the range for close up 0-100 yards or at mid distance 250-350 yards in Winchester .375 H&H guns I've been using. The TSX (as is) has not demonstrated enough for me to exhibit anything atypical that the Nosler Partition would not do just as well on any game here in Alaska. I like the 'tipped' TSX in something like a .270 WIN. where I may be concerned with not having enough punch for caliber.

Here ya go Brian,,, made shots on deer with this out to 290 yards. I just don't have the load data with me.

Since I'm the only one that posted targets, your comments obviously were directed at me.

These were working loads and posted to show that R-17 at least in my rifle was not as good a choice as R-15.

R-15 load and the one I hunt with.

Founding Member

Thumbs up

Yes - good shooting! This is more like it & one I'd say is better dialed in load-wise. The others (like I said) hard to know all the variables on the day of shooting. Sometimes it's the shooter, rifle/gear, weather conditions, something of confidence in the mindset, and so on.

Pictured: Recent shoot... Normal everyday 5 shot example of a Winchester Model 70 (1 of 20 series) with 20" bbl using 300 grain Federal factory load PowerShock. 100 yards benchrest winds 10-15 variable right to left most wind at 75-100 yard marks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast