Thread: Kodiak Bears in April

Default Kodiak Bears in April

I have a spring tag for the NW side of Kodiak. Was not planning on hunting until May 1 - 15, but work commitments may dictate otherwise. Any forum members have great success in the middle of April? Trying to decide if this is a battle worth fighting over with the boss man.

Don't fight............take him along!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mid April the big Bears will be out and may not have rubbed yet. By May, you"ll encounter more sows and cubs and most Bears will have rubbed. Good luck with your plans.

Mid to late april. But i wouldn't go before the 15th.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm thinking your bear tag is harder to get than another job
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the replies guys, whether helpful or entertaining. I could see it now... "Hunter kills record book brown bear, gets fired from 18.5 year career...Loses Pension."

This may very well be a battle I'll have to fight and there is no way I am asking him to go along. I spoke to John at Kodiak F&G (Larry is out for the week) today and he said 35% of the bears are killed from April 20-30 with the remainder taken during the month of May. My work commitment is sandwiched right between that timeframe. Darn the luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, whether helpful or entertaining. I could see it now... "Hunter kills record book brown bear, gets fired from 18.5 year career...Loses Pension."

This may very well be a battle I'll have to fight and there is no way I am asking him to go along. I spoke to John at Kodiak F&G (Larry is out for the week) today and he said 35% of the bears are killed from April 20-30 with the remainder taken during the month of May. My work commitment is sandwiched right between that timeframe. Darn the luck!
    Statistics aside you won't get one in the office so I would still go when you had the chance.... Never know

I've killed one April 21st or 23rd and seen around 20 bears that trip. North side also.

Look up the harvest statistics for the area you will be hunting. You can look up the date of kill for every bear for each year. That should tell you how many bears are killed in April. The times I hunted Kodiak in the spring there was a big difference between the west side and the east side of the island. The east was covered with snow while the west was snow free.

Jimmy,

As you know, it all depends on the spring. I have been there 3 times and it has always been better after the first of May.

Randy